Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 335
  1. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I just learned that Michael (opus) was permanently banned from the PDF. I didn’t see Michael’s first post, but did see his second. I would hope that when it comes to the slaughter of innocent kids in schools, we’re all on the same side. This is not a political issue. I taught at Stoneman Douglas where 17 of my friends’ and neighbors’ kids were slaughtered last February. Stoneman Douglas is 1/2 mile from my house and both of my kids graduated from there. I find it unconscionable that there could be people that find the slaughter of kids in schools acceptable. I am truly aghast.
    Possibly Michael was overly passionate about this issue as am I. If being passionately against school shootings is just cause to be banned from the PDF, then perhaps I should be banned too.
    What did he say that was so wrong? Expressing upset feelings about a school shooting is ban-worthy?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  2. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    What did he say that was so wrong? Expressing upset feelings about a school shooting is ban-worthy?
    In the post that I saw, Michael sarcastically thanked Dereck for deleting his first post. Michael then offered to buy Derrick a beer the next time he was in the Denver area and take a walk with him to visit the various sites of the school shootings. Again, I honestly thought that this was an issue that every sane person person in our society was united.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  3. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    In the post that I saw, Michael sarcastically thanked Dereck for deleting his first post. Michael then offered to buy Derrick a beer the next time he was in the Denver area and take a walk with him to visit the various sites of the school shootings. Again, I honestly thought that this was an issue that every sane person person in our society was united.
    Apparently not on a drum forum.

    Micheal is a guy who I butted heads with often but we had a mutual admiration. However, when it came to any subject involving children, he kinda lost control.

    A mod deleting an incendiary post about what has become a hotly contested political issue (like it or not) does NOT make that mod (or anyone else) accepting of “the slaughter of children”. That’s called a “false equivalency” and there’s a whole lot of that going on in this sick and twisted timeline we currently find ourselves suffering through.

    Even though I participate in the Chit Chat threads, I think that they don’t really belong on a DRUM FORUM. Wanna talk politics and religion- GO FIND POLITICS OR RELIGION SITES. They’re everywhere.
    Way Too Much Crap

  4. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Apparently not on a drum forum.

    Micheal is a guy who I butted heads with often but we had a mutual admiration. However, when it came to any subject involving children, he kinda lost control.

    A mod deleting an incendiary post about what has become a hotly contested political issue (like it or not) does NOT make that mod (or anyone else) accepting of “the slaughter of children”. That’s called a “false equivalency” and there’s a whole lot of that going on in this sick and twisted timeline we currently find ourselves suffering through.

    Even though I participate in the Chit Chat threads, I think that they don’t really belong on a DRUM FORUM. Wanna talk politics and religion- GO FIND POLITICS OR RELIGION SITES. They’re everywhere.
    No religion or politics. I taught in room 1249. I think you understand what the green dots mean. I think about this every day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    No religion or politics. I taught in room 1249. I think you understand what the green dots mean. I think about this every day.
    What the.... Were you there that day?

    Was this the school where the kids became the face that spoke in DC and all over television? It’s sad that there are so many I cannot even know for sure.

  6. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    No religion or politics. I taught in room 1249. I think you understand what the green dots mean. I think about this every day.
    Dude- you’re missing my point. Totally.

    And I’m very sorry that that happened so close to you- both geographically and personally. No one should have to go through that.
    Way Too Much Crap

  7. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    What the.... Were you there that day?

    Was this the school where the kids became the face that spoke in DC and all over television? It’s sad that there are so many I cannot even know for sure.
    I retired from Stoneman Douglas before the massacre, but I’m still very friendly with many of the teachers and the children that were killed were my neighbors or children of my friends. Yes these were the kids that were in DC.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  8. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I just learned that Michael (opus) was permanently banned from the PDF.
    It was an unfortunate turn of events.

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Even though I participate in the Chit Chat threads, I think that they don’t really belong on a DRUM FORUM. Wanna talk politics and religion- GO FIND POLITICS OR RELIGION SITES. They’re everywhere.
    There are a couple chit-chatty threads about the forum now where various groups of remaining members congregate to discuss non-drum things (such as what's going on in their respective lives). I'd like to think of these as groups of friends, especially considering some of you have known each other for 10+ years. Sometimes a friend is hurting and needs to vent. And sometimes that's easier to do to an online group. Perhaps it's not the best idea to go off on one of the site admin, but the preceding posts weren't exactly inflammatory.

    It's entirely understandable why certain rules are in place to prevent the PDF (what's left of it) from becoming a vitriolic cesspool over certain topics. But, as quicksticks suggests, nobody here was going to go Alex Jones over Opus' sentiment.

    Also, as a personal observation, the forum members who want to participate strictly in drum discussions only tend not to bother with the chat threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    No religion or politics. I taught in room 1249. I think you understand what the green dots mean. I think about this every day.
    D*mn, quicksticks. I've no words. I can't imagine being that close to such a tragedy.
    Last edited by Feenix; 05-14-2019 at 02:21 PM.

  9. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Dude- you’re missing my point. Totally.

    And I’m very sorry that that happened so close to you- both geographically and personally. No one should have to go through that.
    This was the day that forever changed my life. I can’t even go for a walk without encountering a family who lost a child. I still cry regularly over this. I do understand your point, but this is no different than talking about someone dealing with cancer or other illness. These are all issues that have just one side. No one is pro cancer or pro school shootings.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  10. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    It was an unfortunate turn of events.


    There are a couple chit-chatty threads about the forum now where various groups of remaining members congregate to discuss non-drum things (such as what's going on in their respective lives). I'd like to think of these as groups of friends, especially considering some of you have known each other for 10+ years. Sometimes a friend is hurting and needs to vent. And sometimes that's easier to do to an online group. Perhaps it's not the best idea to go off on one of the site admin, but the preceding posts weren't exactly inflammatory.

    It's entirely understandable why certain rules are in place to prevent the PDF (what's left of it) from becoming a vitriolic cesspool over certain topics. But, as quicksticks suggests, nobody here was going to go Alex Jones over Opus' sentiment.

    Also, as a personal observation, the forum members who want to participate strictly in drum discussions only tend not to bother with the chat threads.


    D*mn, quicksticks. I've no words. I can't imagine being that close to such a tragedy.
    Thanks for the kind words and for understanding. You obviously get it.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

    Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

  11. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    This was the day that forever changed my life. I can’t even go for a walk without encountering a family who lost a child. I still cry regularly over this. I do understand your point, but this is no different than talking about someone dealing with cancer or other illness. These are all issues that have just one side. No one is pro cancer or pro school shootings.
    Of course not man. But you cannot deny that that arguments that surround school shootings (and other active shooter events like LV) are VERY heated and VERY political. There are, unfortunately and unquestionably, sides. Sucks but it's true. And talking about that stuff on a drum forum is inappropriate, full stop.

    And I "get it". We have 10 schools and countless day care facilities in our tiny mile square city. Guess who is trained to RUN TOWARD AND ENGAGE THE SHOOTER(S)- THIS GUY. And I wouldn't think twice about it.

    So, yeah- I "get it" too.
    Way Too Much Crap

  12. Drowned God

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Of course not man. But you cannot deny that that arguments that surround school shootings (and other active shooter events like LV) are VERY heated and VERY political. There are, unfortunately and unquestionably, sides. Sucks but it's true. And talking about that stuff on a drum forum is inappropriate, full stop.

    And I "get it". We have 10 schools and countless day care facilities in our tiny mile square city. Guess who is trained to RUN TOWARD AND ENGAGE THE SHOOTER(S)- THIS GUY. And I wouldn't think twice about it.

    So, yeah- I "get it" too.
    You'd probably appreciate that one of the shooting sites to which opus alluded in the tour offer was the douglas county officer struck down near him as well.

    People get worked up. Just as you guys are now. I imagine it would have passed as this one will, too.
    What is dead may never die.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •