Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 108 of 121 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,285 to 1,296 of 1447
  1. Drumoholic

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Dale, I think I remember that story, or at least it seemed familiar. I have to agree 100% with your view on it. Parents tell their kids they'll go pro hoping maybe they actually will, and then they can mooch off their kid's fame and money. The whole "work your butt off until you can't, then work some more" attitude is lost on kids nowadays, I'm afraid. It's a shame.
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    If there was no advantage then no one would be taking them. Barry Bonds knows this. The only reason he took them was because he say players worse than him getting all the adulation and his ego couldn’t take it. The moment he did them, he Balked up and started crushing the ball the same as McGuire and Sosa did prior to.
    You guys are missing the point. I’m not ok with PEDS. I was just saying that they weren’t the reason for production in offense. The laced balls had a lot to do with it as well. I was also stating that someone who’s batting 252 for the season and prone to strike outs isn’t going to all of sudden start hitting 352 from the plate and not strike out anymore. They don’t correct your hitting percentage.

    As for all the other benefits quiksticks mentioned, I also agree. However, in the cases of the big guys, you didn’t see Conseco’s, McGuire’s, Sosa’s, Bonds etc...... having to run at top speeds. For them it was about power at the plate. Routine fly balls were now landing in the upper deck.

    Again, I don’t condone it, I never said I did. I was just stating the PEDS didn’t affect how hitters saw the ball coming at them. They still had to hit the pitch. They did affect the reaction of the call once said pitch was hit.
    Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

    22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x10 10x9 14x6.5


  3. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Linsay House
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    The school has had more state basketball victories than any other school in the state to my knowledge, and we've never had a student go professional in the almost 60 years of the schools history. Poor kids.
    That means the school has good teams, versus one-in-a-million individuals. And there's a good lesson in that should anyone point it out.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

  4. Vintage 1968

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BIRMINGHAM, AL
    Posts
    7,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    This is the rule more than the exception. The majority of parents seem to feel that simply by procreating, they’re somehow due special treatment and their offspring are generally infallible.
    It's also the reason that my 6 year old's soccer league requires $250 for 6 weeks and won't let them play without full league uniform, shoes, socks, etc... She's 6. Part of her defense strategy is picking clover during games. But parents want to be able to post pics of their kids in full uniform, so.....
    I want my kids to play different sports to see what they have an aptitude for, and what they like playing. At this age it's not a serious thing, and should not be a serious thing. My son is 9 and I couldn't fathom being that father that called Dale about training my kid to get a scholarship. College? I've got a savings plan for that.

  5. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Linsay House
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    It's also the reason that my 6 year old's soccer league requires $250 for 6 weeks and won't let them play without full league uniform, shoes, socks, etc... She's 6. Part of her defense strategy is picking clover during games. But parents want to be able to post pics of their kids in full uniform, so.....
    I want my kids to play different sports to see what they have an aptitude for, and what they like playing. At this age it's not a serious thing, and should not be a serious thing. My son is 9 and I couldn't fathom being that father that called Dale about training my kid to get a scholarship. College? I've got a savings plan for that.
    And a reason I love martial arts. We study the self defense side and also participate in the sports side. The kids learn to listen, the value of practice, how to be coached, apply the coaching, etc. And the lessons have immediate consequences; don't want to get kicked in the head? Practice and apply the learnings. Our youngest just started basketball, and it's very well geared towards young kids (the ref is coaching in the moment, for example), but I'll argue that martial arts is in part a reason my kid is one of a small number among his peers listening to his coach and working. Yes, we as parents are ultimately responsible, but the extended kenpo family helps as well; it takes a village.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

  6. Rogue Ex-Mod

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ponderosa
    Posts
    4,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Ray View Post
    You guys are missing the point. I’m not ok with PEDS. I was just saying that they weren’t the reason for production in offense. The laced balls had a lot to do with it as well. I was also stating that someone who’s batting 252 for the season and prone to strike outs isn’t going to all of sudden start hitting 352 from the plate and not strike out anymore. They don’t correct your hitting percentage.

    As for all the other benefits quiksticks mentioned, I also agree. However, in the cases of the big guys, you didn’t see Conseco’s, McGuire’s, Sosa’s, Bonds etc...... having to run at top speeds. For them it was about power at the plate. Routine fly balls were now landing in the upper deck.

    Again, I don’t condone it, I never said I did. I was just stating the PEDS didn’t affect how hitters saw the ball coming at them. They still had to hit the pitch. They did affect the reaction of the call once said pitch was hit.
    This is where I'm not following your argument. If routine fly balls are now home runs... how is that not increased offensive production? Guys like Sammy Sosa weren't good enough to be top level home run hitters, but PEDs allowed them to hit home runs that should have been fly outs. That changes numbers, that changes the outcome of the games, and it give guys records, in a sport that's all about numbers, that they don't deserve at all.

    Also, this is just hitting the ball, we haven't even really dug into how it impacted pitchers. PEDs will let you throw the ball harder and recover from pitching injuries more quickly.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

    Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    This is where I'm not following your argument. If routine fly balls are now home runs... how is that not increased offensive production? Guys like Sammy Sosa weren't good enough to be top level home run hitters, but PEDs allowed them to hit home runs that should have been fly outs. That changes numbers, that changes the outcome of the games, and it give guys records, in a sport that's all about numbers, that they don't deserve at all.

    Also, this is just hitting the ball, we haven't even really dug into how it impacted pitchers. PEDs will let you throw the ball harder and recover from pitching injuries more quickly.
    Again, I agree it helped increase offense. I never argued it didn’t. My original argument was that increased offense wasn’t SOLEY based on PEDS. Laced baseballs helped as well.
    Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

    22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x10 10x9 14x6.5


  8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    And a reason I love martial arts. We study the self defense side and also participate in the sports side. The kids learn to listen, the value of practice, how to be coached, apply the coaching, etc. And the lessons have immediate consequences; don't want to get kicked in the head? Practice and apply the learnings. Our youngest just started basketball, and it's very well geared towards young kids (the ref is coaching in the moment, for example), but I'll argue that martial arts is in part a reason my kid is one of a small number among his peers listening to his coach and working. Yes, we as parents are ultimately responsible, but the extended kenpo family helps as well; it takes a village.
    Unfortunately, to be a successful dojo you have to be a patch selling and a testing facility & belt manufacturer. You have the Best High Kick! By the way, the patch is $5.

    You are ready to test! There’s a $10 test fee, every quarter. They get their white belt with one yellow stripe. Next quarter they get their white belt with 2 yellow stripes, and quarter after that they get their yellow belt. Of course they are always offered to test and they NEVER fail. The parents eat it up too.

    Sadly, my sensei at my dojo has to make an announcement yearly letting parents know why their kids aren’t testing to calm the complaining. He is suffering financially for it too, but I respect his integrity.

  9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    Dale, I think I remember that story, or at least it seemed familiar. I have to agree 100% with your view on it. Parents tell their kids they'll go pro hoping maybe they actually will, and then they can mooch off their kid's fame and money. The whole "work your butt off until you can't, then work some more" attitude is lost on kids nowadays, I'm afraid. It's a shame.
    They should be saving for college and not investing in baseball private hitting instructors.

  10. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Linsay House
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Unfortunately, to be a successful dojo you have to be a patch selling and a testing facility & belt manufacturer. You have the Best High Kick! By the way, the patch is $5.

    You are ready to test! There’s a $10 test fee, every quarter. They get their white belt with one yellow stripe. Next quarter they get their white belt with 2 yellow stripes, and quarter after that they get their yellow belt. Of course they are always offered to test and they NEVER fail. The parents eat it up too.

    Sadly, my sensei at my dojo has to make an announcement yearly letting parents know why their kids aren’t testing to calm the complaining. He is suffering financially for it too, but I respect his integrity.
    There are plenty of mcdojos and belt factories, no doubt. But to be a 'successful dojo' you have to have no integrity? I beg to differ. Especially as it depends on one's definition of 'successful' in this context.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

  11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jersey Shore & BKLYN
    Posts
    18,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    There are plenty of mcdojos and belt factories, no doubt. But to be a 'successful dojo' you have to have no integrity? I beg to differ. Especially as it depends on one's definition of 'successful' in this context.
    $ucce$$ful.

  12. old dog, new tricks

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Posts
    16,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Look at those legs, I bet she's a power lifter. She indeed seems to have some kind of martial arts or wrestling training as she fires that guy down like he's a child. Hilarious and awesome. My favourite part is the black guy behind her laughing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    You don't think the NFL is any different? Games are bloated anymore to over 3 hours because of television having to get so many commercials in. The lying, cheating and getting ridiculously overpaid is not just baseball. I used to be a huge Boston Celtic fan in the '70's, '80's and '90's. Now I can't even watch a game. Saw the Celtics quite a few times at the old Cleveland Arena and Richfield Coliseum. Too much fighting now in the game.
    Make no mistake, I find ALL sports to be ridiculously overpaid, along with just about anything to do with entertainment, including music, films, etc. I still love hockey but don't follow the NHL because I think they've done too much to ruin the game. No one is deserving of a million dollars per year unless you cure some disease or solve the climate crisis or something.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

    link below for my kit build thread

    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •