Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    ****** I need glasses.
    I am horribly disfigured.

Warby Parker?
    anyone had any experience there?
    I have 3 pair of their glasses; quality for a good price.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    Sadly no, he's had endless trouble getting a complete set of lugs for all the drums. I believe he said the current ETA for completion is Christmas. I'm hoping for some new pics once it's finally finished. Hope you're doing ok Marty! We've had a ton of rain up here in Cedar Rapids but I haven't had too many issues personally. My mom emailed me today to say she got some water in her basement last night due to a dead sump pump so I'll probably be heading there tonight to help her clean up.
    That's a shame. At least he still has plans for completion. If it's anything like the snares he built the kit should be spectacular. Jeff and I didn't always see eye to eye but it doesn't mean I wish him anything but the best. Hope he is doing good in his personal life, as for you as well, Alex.

As far as me, all is good enough.

Name:  image-333860648.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  127.6 KB

Here's a pic from my back yard. Sandbags around my neighbors house. We are about a 1/2 mile from the Illinois river. This is the creek backed up this far because the water has nowhere to go!

3. Drumming Since 1943

Are we referring to space Jeff’s snares?
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Are we referring to space Jeff’s snares?
    Yes. You have one. Share a pic!

5. anti-shark cage?

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    excellent.
    they have a store fairly close to me so I'll check it out.
    I like the stockton frame, but wish it came in matte black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

excellent.
    I got them from mail order. I chose 5 that I liked and they mailed them to me to try on.

7. Now With More "Whiz"

Second that. My wife has several pairs and they are a reasonable value for the price they charge. The other alternative would be to change your moniker from Quint to Squint and see if it actually helped.

8. Registered User

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Yes. You have one. Share a pic!
    Sure!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Drumming Since 1943

excellent.
    A WP just opened here in hoboken. The wife wasn’t impressed.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

I could be here all day, but...
    Well, it would probably take me a day to properly process everything you said, but... it's all very fascinating. And brought lots of things to my own mind.

I don't know your exact age, and I have no need for it, for sure not only to make off-point remarks about it. I just read that several American institutions "[describe] millennials as ... born between ... 1981 and 1996". I could be inside that interval possibly.

I think I've revealed parts of the puzzle many times already, mainly that I'm not American. That's a HUGE reason for why I see that definition as very, very awkward. Anyone in America remember anything changing a little bit in everyones , and I mean this with the utmost sincerity, EVERYONES life, for hundreds of millions of people regular daily life, particularly around 1989-1990? Ring a bell? No? That is a millennial ;---)

Seriously though, I see "millennials" or whatever, with the "generation change" happening in a much shorter time and definitely not lasting until anyone born as late as 1996. Nineteen-NINETY-six?!??

As a kid, at home and among relatives etc., we had VCR's, big Trinitron TV's, 300 W stereos, computers, two large cars, camcorders, car phones, speedboats... you name it. The catch here, what young(er) people don't realise or understand, is that those things were INSANELY expensive. No one just went into a store and thought oh, that Fender Mustang looks cool, I think I'll get it, I'll get that amp too, all right, 30 000 dollars, whatever. Nothing was "whatever" for people whose mothers were worried sick about where the wind was carrying the fallout cloud from a certain power plant.

What I mean by all this is that we (which I guess means "some people including myself") learned to understand and respect the value of things. Of everything. Grocery stores were not open 24/7 by a long shot and they did not carry flashlights, batteries from AAA to D, 10 different types of lightbulbs, fuses, reading glasses or ballpoint pens. Nothing was ever for granted. That sticks with you. Often when I look at my watch, I think this is nuts, this is something that a combat diver or something would be issued, not something you just go and buy with whatever lint you have in your pocket. Back in the day, people would even take their watch off when washing hands. Nobody had anything stamped "100 m" because you could buy a car for the price of that watch.

So anyway. I can relate to a lot of things you said. I, a "millennial" once got angry at my sister's boyfriend, who at 7 years younger than me is also a "millennial". He let's say got in my face, but the reason I was miffed at him was that I felt that he seriously derogated the fact that I'm much older, more experienced, wiser etc. I was furious and thought F*CK you, you ********* stupid CHILD, you do NOT tell me what to do or what to say. So was I justified there? Could that be a plausible situation between someone maybe around 30 and another a little over 20? Or are they just "the same"?

Another one on point: once I was discussing starting wages with a bunch of computer nerd students who were around 20. I had heard the "young people these days are stupid" stuff in general, but never before personally. I superbly laughed at their "yeah, when I start I'll be making like 4000 or 5000 a month" (*) . I told them you won't make half of that when you start, a friend of mine is a Doctor of Technology and MAYBE now after ten years of very good work and raises he might get close to that but probably not quite. Obviously I don't know exactly what he makes but way back when he started, same company, he told me roughly. It's a perfectly decent wage -- and nowhere near as much as these kids think.

BTW, I'm also a teacher. When I was younger and very inexperienced, the students respected my authority very well. As time went on, I noticed very distinctly how the students became much less focused and careless, in every respect. One time I remember very well was when I was surprised that I actually had to USE my authority and staunchly tell them "No one has said the lesson is over, you do NOT just get up and leave without permission or in general just saying nothing! (aka ??? what the f*ck do you think you're doing?)". And these people are adults. I have been commended for doing my job exceptionally well, and I've felt it is my DUTY to do so.

This was, I guess, the pointless rant of just another millennial. Whew. I wonder when I'll get my new drum and whether the colour actually is the same as the rest of the set.

(*) For you in the US: This probably DOES sound low, and I can only guess because the system is so completely different there, but this means around 55K USD a year NOT including any benefits, which over here are free or very inexpensive (mostly state-funded)

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    Wow. It’s not even one from his videos.