Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
  1. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    Yeah - the overmoderation here back in the day is what caused me to spinoff Drumrock....and I could spin it up again, but I don't have a lot of time these days, and I let the domain registration expire so now someone has snagged it and wants 50k to "sell it" .....If I had bandwidth I'd come up with another concept....but none.....I get that Pearl as a brand has to keep some amount of decorum here but at times it's way overboard, almost to the point of nausea....
    So many non drum subjects have been discussed on Chit Chat. We’ve talked about cancer, seizures and a host of other non drum related subjects. As a career educator and human being, I’ve always been incensed by school shootings, but when it struck 1/2 mile from my house at the school where I used to teach and where both my kids graduated, I became passionate about it. Everyone should be incensed when an 18 year old kid enters a school with an AR15 assault weapon and kills 17 students and staff and wounds another 17. No child should ever have to worry if they’re going to leave school in a body bag, but I’ve spoken to many kids who share this concern. Michael (opus) lives close to the sites of several school shootings. I understand and share Michael’s passion and it’s deeply concerning to me that Pearl doesn’t. Deleting Michael’s posts and permanently banning him won’t stop school shootings, but it does give me insight into where Pearl stands on this issue and I’m appalled. There had to be a better way for Pearl to handle this. Removing Michael ‘s ban would be a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by quicksticks; 05-19-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    So many non drum subjects have been discussed on Chit Chat. Weíve talked about cancer, seizures and a host of other non drum related subjects. As a career educator and human being, Iíve always been incensed by school shootings, but when it struck 1/2 mile from my house at the school where I used to teach and where both my kids graduated, I became passionate about it. Everyone should be incensed when an 18 year old kid enters a school with an AR15 assault weapon and kills 17 students and staff and wounds another 17. No child should ever have to worry if theyíre going to leave school in a body bag, but Iíve spoken to many kids who share this concern. Michael (opus) lives close to the sites of several school shootings. I understand and share Michaelís passion and itís deeply concerning to me that Pearl doesnít. Deleting Michaelís posts and permanently banning him wonít stop school shootings, but it does give me insight into where Pearl stands on this issue and Iím appalled. There had to be a better way for Pearl to handle this. Removing Michael Ďs ban would be a step in the right direction.
    I'm sorry but I categorically disagree with this aspect of your comment.

Pearl has absolute control over what is allowed here and what isn't. This is DRUMMERS FORUM, not a political or religious forum. I'll go so far as to say that even though I take part in the "Chit Chat" threads, I think they're a mistake. The fact that Pearl's mods exercise control over what is posted here has NOTHING to do with what those particular mods personally feel. They're enforcing rules that are laid out here for a reason. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. If those rules weren't in place, this place would be InfoWars or Reddit and our beloved drummer's forum would be a thing of the past.

Again, I TOTALLY understand Michael's passion on the subject and might even be more angry about it than he is. But I realize that this IS NOT THE PLACE TO VENT THOSE FEELINGS. It just isn't.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I'm sorry but I categorically disagree with this aspect of your comment.

Pearl has absolute control over what is allowed here and what isn't. This is DRUMMERS FORUM, not a political or religious forum. I'll go so far as to say that even though I take part in the "Chit Chat" threads, I think they're a mistake. The fact that Pearl's mods exercise control over what is posted here has NOTHING to do with what those particular mods personally feel. They're enforcing rules that are laid out here for a reason. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. If those rules weren't in place, this place would be InfoWars or Reddit and our beloved drummer's forum would be a thing of the past.

Again, I TOTALLY understand Michael's passion on the subject and might even be more angry about it than he is. But I realize that this IS NOT THE PLACE TO VENT THOSE FEELINGS. It just isn't.
    I thought I understood as well, but until this happens in your backyard and you know the people involved, you will never understand. Going to 17 funerals does that. Until such time you will never truly understand. Of course I felt badly over other school shootings, but after the Stoneman Douglas massacre, I cried every day for at least six months. I still can’t pass by the school without getting teary. I truly doubt that you shed tears daily for months after any of the numerous school shootings. That’s the difference. You don’t TOTALLY understand and hopefully you never will.
    Last edited by quicksticks; 05-19-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I thought I understood as well, but until this happens in your backyard and you know the people involved, you will never understand. Going to 17 funerals does that. Until such time you will never truly understand. Of course I felt badly over other school shootings, but after the Stoneman Douglas massacre, I cried every day for at least six months. I still can’t pass by the school without getting teary. I truly doubt that you shed tears daily for months after any of the numerous school shootings. That’s the difference. You don’t TOTALLY understand and hopefully you never will.
    I agree that I couldn’t REALLY understand what you and other have gone through. This much is true. But what is also true is that this forum is NOT the place to talk about it. I stand by that assertion.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Drowned God

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I agree that I couldn’t REALLY understand what you and other have gone through. This much is true. But what is also true is that this forum is NOT the place to talk about it. I stand by that assertion.
    Maybe he shouldn't have brought it up here. And there's a difference between a 'calm down, this is a drum forum', a 'you're banned for a week while you calm down', and a 'we had issues 3 years ago, so you're permabanned'.
    What is dead may never die.

6. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

In B4 thread lock.

I miss SpaceJeff.

7. anti-shark cage?

I like drums and drum accessories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

8. anti-shark cage?

we should all post our current 5/21/19 as-is drum setups this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

9. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    we should all post our current 5/21/19 as-is drum setups this week.

10. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    In B4 thread lock.

I miss SpaceJeff.
    wait, what happened to space jeff??

11. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    wait, what happened to space jeff??
    Oh, he exiled himself like 2 years (?) ago after some issues with members and management. All this talk of influential PDF members being bant/leaving just had me reminiscing is all.

(I wasn't around for any pre-2010 shenanigans, so your influential members may vary)

12. Drowned God

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    In B4 thread lock.

I miss SpaceJeff.
    If a mod actively 'patrolled' this thread, it'd have been days ago. Which says some nancy here likely reported opus.
    What is dead may never die.