Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
  1. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Most of their food is pretty bland. I was served something they call a hot pot 4 times; hot water where you put cabbage, bean sprouts, and sliced meat on your own and put it over sticky rice.
    I agree with you that hot pot is pretty awful. I never had it in Japan (it's a Chinese thing, really), but there are a number of hot pot establishments around these parts and I've never enjoyed the experience.

We mostly lived on various donburi, ramen, and sushi while there. We also gave in to the 7 & i holdings (7/11) meals a few times; mainly onigiri, but also interestingly flavoured potato chips and beverages, etc. At one point we came across a western-style bakery and I gorged on bread, which I didn't realize I'd been craving so badly (not a whole lot of bread with meals over there, which I'm not accustomed to apparently).

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    I agree with you that hot pot is pretty awful. I never had it in Japan (it's a Chinese thing, really), but there are a number of hot pot establishments around these parts and I've never enjoyed the experience.

We mostly lived on various donburi, ramen, and sushi while there. We also gave in to the 7 & i holdings (7/11) meals a few times; mainly onigiri, but also interestingly flavoured potato chips and beverages, etc. At one point we came across a western-style bakery and I gorged on bread, which I didn't realize I'd been craving so badly (not a whole lot of bread with meals over there, which I'm not accustomed to apparently).
    7-11 being owned by the Japanese trips me out. When were you in Japan?

It was weird to me there was no hibachi. I thought that was Japanese.

3. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    7-11 being owned by the Japanese trips me out. When were you in Japan?

It was weird to me there was no hibachi. I thought that was Japanese.
    We were there August 2015.

I don't imagine you'd find much hibachi as it is generally called teppanyaki over there (assuming you mean where a chef cooks on a hot surface at your table). I understand it is generally not popular with the locals as those establishments mostly cook western foods with tourists being their biggest market. Though the okonomiyaki place we went to in Osaka was teppanyaki style, but it was the server who cooked. Which was impressive, because she was making rounds and cooking among several tables simultaneously.

4. anti-shark cage?

Oh thats nasty.
    I would starve to death if I lived there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Top quality humour should never be served in a spoon.

5. Registered User

I lived there for 3 years as an AF brat. It was an awesome time for me as a kid and the food off base was delicious!!!

6. HA HA HAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    I lived there for 3 years as an AF brat. It was an awesome time for me as a kid and the food off base was delicious!!!
    Yokota?
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

7. Registered User

Misawa! Way up there!!! 360 yen to the dollar.

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    Misawa! Way up there!!! 360 yen to the dollar.
    Wow. It was approximately 960 yen to the dollar when we were there. I will say it made it easy buying things though. All we had to do was put a decimal point in the yen and it more or less put it in perspective what something would cost at home.

9. Registered User

When we first arrived there was no on-base housing available yet, so we stayed in off-base housing. Our first day me and my brother went exploring the town and ran across an outdoor market. We bought a small (dead) octopus and arranged it in our fridge to scare our Mother. She about crapped her pants and then said she couldn't wait for my dad to get home so we could scare him, too. He had a bigger reaction than Mom, lol!

It was so different. You could smoke and bring booze into the theaters... on-base American TV didn't come on until 1600 hrs, and there was deep snow on the ground 60% of the year. Coming from TX to there was a hella culture shock!

10. HA HA HAHAHA!

When we were there, was 120-160 yen to the dollar.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

11. Registered User

It was the late '60s when we were there. I still remember all my Japanese phrases...

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Please don’t disappoint me, Lucasfilm.

https://youtu.be/aOC8E8z_ifw