Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
  1. HA HA HAHAHA!

Love me some MMA (Mexican Martial Arts)--

My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

2. Registered User

It took me three years to earn my 2nd-degree brown belt in Juko-Ryu Jiujitsu, back in the '80s. It was fun and I remember just the basics, now. Aikido is a great martial art - right up there with Kung Fu.

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Not that I have not heard this sort of comment before, itís really quite insulting considering the amount of hours and dedication many of us put into this art. Is it BJJ where within a few months of training you can learn how to break someoneís back? No. And I truly believe that is a huge part of the issue.

Iíve been studying for 7 years now and I can guarantee you that if I did that much time and dedication to another art, I would be much better in that art than I am in aikido. My friend owns and runs a Muy Thai gym after only 5 years of Muy Thai training, something I can never see someone even seriously contemplating let alone happening in aikido.

One of the negatives I can understand is we train taking ukemi, learning how to fall and react to the move safely, equally to the amount of time learning how to apply it. The problem is some people give too much either to protect themselves or to allow a student to feel confident in the style to where itís quite misleading. It can be annoying to the point I ask people all of the time are they giving it to me. The thing is, if you are doing it right, the move should feel like they are giving it to you. It should seem that effortless.

A particular division of aikido called the Ki Society can compare to a dance step in some moves. Many within other groups of aikido practitioners look at them same way you are stating aikido is in general. At the same time, there was one move of theirs I attempted that was almost Yoda like. I worked on it for a hour straight when I visited one their dojos recently and couldnít get it and these guys could do it to me. It blew my mind at the same time frustrated the hell out of me.

When they come and visit for a class, it seems many practitioners in other arts get it and are humble enough to start over though they may have a black belt in other arts or they find it laughable because people give them too much when taking ukemi. I can see both sides, even some moves being worthless in a true fight, but practicing aikido has given me goals that I havenít had since I first started taking drums seriously. And since Iíve been so particular with who I play with since my band of 10 years has turned from full time to simply playing reunions from time to time, aikido has kept me sane, made me feel better about myself, and lowered my stress level. If thatís all it accomplishes, Iím okay with that.
    I appreciate your fondness of Aikido. I've been training in Taekwondo since 1994. Many of the people I would train with spoke positively about Aikido. I also heard that it takes a long time to really develop Aikido skills, but that's okay, we have time.

I transitioned from martial arts training, to standard gym exercise. Trying to learn/practice/teach Taekwondo when you're overweight is difficult, and detrimental to your body. Now that I'm 50 lbs lighter, I'm getting back into it, with much less discomfort and pain. I'm going to be testing for my 5th Dan Black belt within the next year. It doesn't mean I'm a badass or anything like that; I'm just very flexible, and ultra-aware of my surroundings, when I'm out and about. If that's all I get out of training, that's fine with me.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. HA HA HAHAHA!

The list of TaekwonDOs and TaekwonDON'Ts is a nice touch

5. HA HA HAHAHA!

One more for you, Dale:

Aikido is Bull*****

(again, humor)

6. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    The list of TaekwonDOs and TaekwonDON'Ts is a nice touch

Very funny Dan
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

7. HA HA HAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Very funny Dan
    First or Second Degree Dan? :P

8. anti-shark cage?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Top quality humour should never be served in a spoon.

9. Registered User

I was always more of a Jeff Speakman fan. My money would be on him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPtjZhhBnDk

10. Registered User

Today is a sad day in my hometown.

Keep the families of the victims in your thoughts and prayers.

Please, none of the usual “discussion”.

11. Registered User

Lordy! Another WalMart shooting??? Wow!

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Ha. There’s a couple of times I see some aikido. My son, who also studies aikido, was over my shoulder watching the video and said, “Tsi kotegaeshi! Shiho nage!”