Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

I had a job interview yesterday and they asked me to come back today for a second round of interviews with the higher-ups. I feel good about getting an offer but I don't think I want the job. It's for a position in which I have no formal experience but that I've worked alongside in my current job. The company is also very, very small and they said they don't have any training procedures, they just need the person hired to "make an impact" right away. I don't think I'm qualified and I don't think I would be the help they need.

My current company is a huge, multinational corporation, and as unsatisfied as I am in my current position and as much of a dopey tone-deaf loser as my boss is, I don't think I want to leave the security or benefits behind, even if it would mean a significant bump in pay. I'd rather be one person in a faceless corporation with training procedures and structure than a member of a 20-person company where everyone is expected to interact with every other department when I have no formal training or education in the field.

I really just want to get an offer and use it as leverage for a promotion here, and maybe under a different manager, because my boss really does suck.
    Last edited by TheElectricCompany; 07-09-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    I had a job interview yesterday and they asked me to come back today for a second round of interviews with the higher-ups. I feel good about getting an offer but I don't think I want the job. It's for a position in which I have no formal experience but that I've worked alongside in my current job. The company is also very, very small and they said they don't have any training procedures, they just need the person hired to "make an impact" right away. I don't think I'm qualified and I don't think I would be the help they need.

My current company is a huge, multinational corporation, and as unsatisfied as I am in my current position and as much of a dopey tone-deaf loser as my boss is, I don't think I want to leave the security or benefits behind, even if it would mean a significant bump in pay. I'd rather be one person in a faceless corporation with training procedures and structure than a member of a 20-person company where everyone is expected to interact with every other department when I have no formal training or education in the field.

I really just want to get an offer and use it as leverage for a promotion here, and maybe under a different manager, because my boss really does suck.
    As someone who believes he treats an employee fairly, I would tell you that perhaps you should consider taking the job you were offered if you are so unhappy to take an interview in the first place. I’m not saying that would be said to you as I do not know your boss, but take that in consideration.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    As someone who believes he treats an employee fairly, I would tell you that perhaps you should consider taking the job you were offered if you are so unhappy to take an interview in the first place. Iím not saying that would be said to you as I do not know your boss, but take that in consideration.
    Thanks for the insight, Dale. There's no guarantee my current employer would want to keep on an employee who's taking interviews. I'm just one small employee and they have all the power.

After yesterday's set of interviews I'm positive I don't want the job. My wife and I talked about it and agreed it's not worth all the headaches that would come with it. The good news is I interviewed with a total of four people and each one validated the experience and knowledge I've gained in my current job. For the past five years every conversation about advancement with my current boss has made me feel like that experience is worthless.

That said, I'd rather stay in my current job and wait for the absolute right opportunity rather than jump at this first chance to get away if, ultimately, I would remain unhappy.

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

4. anti-shark cage?

Sooo.
    I want to make my own 13x6/7" snare drum. Whats a good spot to get hardware and shells?
    I've looked a few places but its so expensive, I would be better off buying a name-brand snare drum and modifying it from what I've seen.
    I'm gonna do something I have never seen before- a Yamaha motogp themed snare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Top quality humour should never be served in a spoon.

5. Registered User

I did end up receiving a job offer but I declined it. Essentially, it would have been an increase in title only, and at the cost of benefits and work/life balance. The offer was over $10k below the industry average for that position in Houston, and barely above what I make now. But it was the best they could do and I appreciate it.

Just got a call from another group I applied to, so we'll see where that goes.

6. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Sooo.
    I want to make my own 13x6/7" snare drum. Whats a good spot to get hardware and shells?
    I've looked a few places but its so expensive, I would be better off buying a name-brand snare drum and modifying it from what I've seen.
    Last week I was pricing out a 14x6.5 snare drum built from components sourced at DFD. Try there, if you haven't already.

I decided I'd rather build a PC at this time.

I did end up receiving a job offer but I declined it. Essentially, it would have been an increase in title only, and at the cost of benefits and work/life balance. The offer was over $10k below the industry average for that position in Houston, and barely above what I make now. But it was the best they could do and I appreciate it.

Sounds like you've got a pretty competitive gig already. Doesn't hurt to look around, but it might be worthwhile looking within as well (I mean at internal postings, not so much spiritually).

7. anti-shark cage?

Have you applied at The Globex Corporation?
    Their germ warfare division is hiring...

8. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Sooo.
    Perhaps a bait n’ tackle shop will have what you’re looking for?
    Way Too Much Crap

9. anti-shark cage?

Last week I was pricing out a 14x6.5 snare drum built from components sourced at DFD. Try there, if you haven't already.

I decided I'd rather build a PC at this time.

Sounds like you've got a pretty competitive gig already. Doesn't hurt to look around, but it might be worthwhile looking within as well (I mean at internal postings, not so much spiritually).
    I'll check it out, thanks.

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

My arm has been twisted by my former high school drummer classmates to see Iron Maiden. I have not seen them since I saw a pathetic show in a not even full club show in Atlanta 20 or so years ago. They had some replacement singer, a poser guitarist who replaced Adrian, and no Eddie. It was quite sad.

At the very least, it’ll be cool to catch up with old friends even though I have to pay $85 for nose bleed seats to do so.

11. a.k.a. YtseJam

Say what you want, but The X Factor was a great and very underrated album.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    My arm has been twisted by my former high school drummer classmates to see Iron Maiden. I have not seen them since I saw a pathetic show in a not even full club show in Atlanta 20 or so years ago. They had some replacement singer, a poser guitarist who replaced Adrian, and no Eddie. It was quite sad.

At the very least, it’ll be cool to catch up with old friends even though I have to pay $85 for nose bleed seats to do so.
    That “poser” guitarist is Janick Gers and has been in Maiden since late ‘89. That’s 30 years.
    And yeah- that was Maiden’s “low point”. Hell, they played Birch Hill in ‘92. But in true British form, they soldiered through and stiff upper lipped their way back and have been and continue to be, one of the biggest rock bands on the planet. They are truly global.

So there’s that, which is nice.
    Way Too Much Crap