Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Need help deciding!

So here's the deal. I have a Masters MCX kit now that I absolutely love, and it wasn't cheap to piece it all together after ordering the matching snare and floor tom. I made an offer on a reference kit someone is selling locally, and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. Should I let go my masters and move up to the reference? It would be an even swap pretty much. I can unload mine for the price he wants. He didn't know much about them other than its a 20 ply snare and he custom ordered it a few years back but didn't like drums apparently. I love.my kit now, but this is probably a one shot deal to get a higher end kit as it would normally be way too expensive. Finish is midnight fade. What do you guys think? I know very little about reference kits. Here's a pic of my current setup, and 2 pics of the reference. I would get everything in the pictures, cymbals and all.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Drum Ninja

I've had both an MCX and a Reference. I prefer the MCX and got rid of the Ref. Don't consider the Reference a "step up" from your current kit. A Masters kit is a professional level kit and sounds great. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I preferred the MCX because it was warmer and fuller. The Reference had more focus and projection. It also had a lot more separation between the drums which I didn't like as much as I thought I would. The Ref sounded like a collection of drums, the MCX sounds like a drumset. Unfortunately, my MCX has been mothballed for the past 5 years or so... Maybe I'll dig it out and fall in love with it again.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

3. Registered User

Exactly the answer I was hoping for to be honest haha. I really didn't want to sell mine but on the other hand, didn't know if I would be stupid for missing out on a deal. I really appreciate the feedback and I love how you had both kits. I think I'll hang on to mine and forget those. The finish was holding me back as well. If they were blue oyster, I'd probably have it done by now haha. Thanks for the feedback ��

4. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by Young James View Post
    I would get everything in the pictures, cymbals and all.
    Wait, he would give you all his hardware and cymbals for your drums only? Or you would swap everything including your cymbals and hardware?

I'd swap and set them up just the way you like them. Sell the stuff you don't want, change the heads, play them for a bit. The Refs do sell at a higher price point. You can always get back to the Masters.

5. Drumming Since 1943

Whoever set up that reference is most likely someone’s mom.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Nope, not the same guy who would take my kit. I know someone who wanted mine, and the cash I would get for mine would cover the reference. It's a long drive so swapping out to try wouldn't work, nor would he want to. I'd sell everything I have (shells plus k cymbals) and buy his for same price (shells and k cymbals l

7. A Passion Play ...

Good call. I think I would keep my MCX over a
    Reference too. They really are just great drums.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

8. Registered User

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff over the years..... well, I've bought a lot more than I've sold, but my point is the same: If you have something you really like, don't get rid of it. If you were able to find a way to keep both or to buy the Reference and sell some of it off, it may make sense, but if you have to sell a set that you love to get a set that you MIGHT like better, you are probably setting yourself up to be disappointed.