Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rototoms?

1. Registered User

Default Rototoms?

My pearl kit starts with 8, 10, 12, 13, and the floors are 14 inch and 16 inch.

Lately I've been keeping them tuned a little on the lower pitch end.

Sometimes I catch myself wishing I had something a little higher, such as a 6 inch Tom to begin with.

A couple of questions… Do you think the Rototoms could be tuned to transition nicely to meet the intervals prior to that 8 inch Tom?

Also, would the timbre be so different it wouldn't transition nicely by the time a fill met that 8 inch tom? Or, would it sound completely out of place?

2. Playing since 1976

Tuning roto-toms is easy, just turn them clockwise or counter-clockwise... you could easily get 3 higher-pitched sounds... higher than your 8" tom.

Timbre is a whole other issue. Roto-toms don't sound like concert or closed toms, but they are still cool.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Drumming Since 1943

Go with Rocket Toms or Octobans. More body and they look cooler than Roto-Toms.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Purple Crazed

Based on your questions, I would only recommend purchasing a 6" tom (or even another 8" tom). It is the only choice where both pitch and timbre will match. The others are significantly different in timbre.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

5. Registered User

Default these

I bought a pair of these TAMA mini timbales for just that little extra feel good while doing some recording a few years back, a nice temporary add-on spice. You might like them.

Name:  mini tymps.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  46.0 KBName:  mini tymps.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  46.0 KB
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16 22X18
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

6. Unban nik12

Rototoms are badass. Grab a Pearl ISS mount for it and you're good to go
    Last edited by MitchLyons; 05-08-2019 at 12:55 AM.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Riggz View Post
    My pearl kit starts with 8, 10, 12, 13, and the floors are 14 inch and 16 inch.

Lately I've been keeping them tuned a little on the lower pitch end.

Sometimes I catch myself wishing I had something a little higher, such as a 6 inch Tom to begin with.

A couple of questions… Do you think the Rototoms could be tuned to transition nicely to meet the intervals prior to that 8 inch Tom?

Also, would the timbre be so different it wouldn't transition nicely by the time a fill met that 8 inch tom? Or, would it sound completely out of place?
    Hi,

1. The others are right, a rototom or rocket tom is going to sound more like a timbale than a tom tom. However, with a 6" drum, it probably wouldn't make that much difference.

2. Using a single rocket tom would be easier to mount unless you buy a special stand to use for the rototom. If you mount the rototom with an ISS mount, you won't be able to adjust the tuning by turning the rim, but still could do it with the tension rods). Pearl also makes a special rototom mount, but you would need to order it from Japan.

3. You should be able to get whatever high pitch you need from either the rototom or the rocket tom to work with the other toms.

*** 4. If you are able to customized drums, another option would be to purchase one of the longer Crystal Beat rocket toms and cut it down to whatever depth of 6" tom you need. This way, you could put either one or two heads on the 6" tom, use whatever hardware you want, and whatever kind of mount and badge you want.

MM
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT