Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default 20" bass drum thoughts..

Hey guys, I currently play on the 24" decade maple bass drum. I only purchased it because it was 14" deep and seemed to fit a smaller footprint. Ive been playing on it for just over a year and I am not liking it all that much. Im really looking at going to 20". Has anyone played the 20"X16" bass drum? I may be purchasing a 20" soon, so if anyone want to swap Id be willing to. I have the gloss deep red burst by the way. Thanks for the input...

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS. View Post
    Hey guys, I currently play on the 24" decade maple bass drum. I only purchased it because it was 14" deep and seemed to fit a smaller footprint. Ive been playing on it for just over a year and I am not liking it all that much. Im really looking at going to 20". Has anyone played the 20"X16" bass drum? I may be purchasing a 20" soon, so if anyone want to swap Id be willing to. I have the gloss deep red burst by the way. Thanks for the input...
    Hi,

I've been playing a 20x18 kick drum for the past 15 years and like it very much. Besides the more convenient size (i.e. easier to carry and to mount toms above it), I find that it has the best balance between tone, punch, and volume. I would certainly recommend it.

I doubt if a 20x16 would be noticeably different. If the slightly smaller footprint is a big factor, I wouldn't hesitate to go with it.

MM
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

3. Registered User

20x16 is a great size. Stick to comfort and ergonomics first. A 20" bass drum will cover any genre of music with no issue.

4. Registered User

I have the same series kit and finish at home that I play, but the bass drum is the standard 22x18 and I do like it. Im certainly not liking that 24" all that much. Plus it brings everything up in height, and I don't like playing up that high. Luckily I have my toms more offset to the side. I play open handed with my hats on top of the bass drum at home. I can't put my remote setup on the 24", it'd be too high. I definitely agree about the comfort and ergonomics first!

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS. View Post
    I have the same series kit and finish at home that I play, but the bass drum is the standard 22x18 and I do like it. Im certainly not liking that 24" all that much. Plus it brings everything up in height, and I don't like playing up that high. Luckily I have my toms more offset to the side. I play open handed with my hats on top of the bass drum at home. I can't put my remote setup on the 24", it'd be too high. I definitely agree about the comfort and ergonomics first!
    What is it about the 24" you don't like? Just the size?

I only ask because while a 20" will definitely allow you to lower things to your liking; it will also feel different. So if you like the feel of the 24" kick; just be aware it's gonna be different with a 20" underfoot.

6. Registered User

My SRX bass drum is 20x16 and I like it a lot. I have thought about moving to a 22" BD should I buy a new kit but the 20" does seem so good, why change? I wonder if the additional volume and diameter would change the feel of the beater rebound
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Going from a 24 to a 20 is quite a jump. I wasn’t a fan of my 14x24 either. The tone seemed to come back at me too hard and I didn’t like the placement of the better. It seemed I had to sacrifice feel for tone.

I suggest a 14x20 or a 16x22 if you’re going for a change. I think the 20 is quite a jump. The 16x22 would be a much smoother change for you.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    What is it about the 24" you don't like? Just the size?

I only ask because while a 20" will definitely allow you to lower things to your liking; it will also feel different. So if you like the feel of the 24" kick; just be aware it's gonna be different with a 20" underfoot.
    Well aside from having everything higher up. I don't really like the feel of it. I only play it a couple times a week in our place of worship. I am sure there are other contributing factors that I have not addressed yet. The problem is I don't really have the time before service starts to really play with the tuning and get everything the way I want it. The kick is mic'd but I have to really stomp on the pedal. (May be a sound issue) What I have done recently is triggered my kick and ran it through my Alesis strike pad with a Simmons DA 200...That really gets the boom out. Acoustically it just feels dead. Its the only 24" bass drum I've played on. Im used to playing on a 22". My old export I still play has the 22x16 and my decade maple kit at home (hoping to sell) has the 22X18. I like them both. I thought about swapping the head out, but 24" heads are not cheap, and I am not really wanting to drop the money on something Im not really wanting to keep.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Going from a 24 to a 20 is quite a jump. I wasn’t a fan of my 14x24 either. The tone seemed to come back at me too hard and I didn’t like the placement of the better. It seemed I had to sacrifice feel for tone.

I suggest a 14x20 or a 16x22 if you’re going for a change. I think the 20 is quite a jump. The 16x22 would be a much smoother change for you.

I haven't really thought about it, but yes it is quite a jump. My old export that I have had since 1992 has the 22x16 so I am used to playing on the 22". My decade maple has the 22x18 and I like it as well. I also have an 18" bass that goes with my little pearl roadshow that I take inside friends and family's houses when we have get togethers.

10. Registered User

I've got the 20" on my Decade kit, and I love it. As was mentioned above, it's got a great balance between depth, punch and volume. I have only a single towel in mine, and I'll position it differently depending on the venue (large rooms I'll just take it out, smaller/more echo-ey rooms will have the towel lightly pressed one or both heads) and it'll sound perfect no matter where I am. I had been wanting a 20" for years, and I'm glad I finally got one.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.