Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Thank you all very much for the replies!

Yes, you're right, I'm definitely fortunate to have a rec-room and some very understanding neighbors. Actually, they are musicians as well in their own circles and I genuinely like them!

I'm thinking the single room microphone solution might be a good compromise. One of the first things I noticed was choosing cymbals to hit sounded very different bleeding through the headphones and maybe a little help from the room microphone but the benefit of hearing protection and modest music volume in the headphones would Bring it closer to reality.

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

2. Rogue Ex-Mod

Some good advice from everybody. For me, I practice with Vic Firth ear plugs in and if I need to play along with something, I use isolation headphones. I just deal with the fact that my drums don't sound exactly the same as they do with the ear plugs. That's fine for me, my drums always sound different anyway depending on the venue and which kit I'm using and the sound guy and the monitors and all that. My main concern is protecting my hearing and the isolation headphones do a fine job of that. I do have a PA in my practice room so I could run sound through that and use the ear plugs but I have to turn the PA up really loud. I usually just go the headphones route.

I've always lived in a house where I could play the drums and I spent a LONG time house hunting five years ago when it was time to move because I refuse to compromise on that. I drum. That's what I do. If I can't drum in a house, I can't live there.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by David Hollywood View Post
    Some good advice from everybody. For me, I practice with Vic Firth ear plugs in and if I need to play along with something, I use isolation headphones. I just deal with the fact that my drums don't sound exactly the same as they do with the ear plugs. That's fine for me, my drums always sound different anyway depending on the venue and which kit I'm using and the sound guy and the monitors and all that. My main concern is protecting my hearing and the isolation headphones do a fine job of that. I do have a PA in my practice room so I could run sound through that and use the ear plugs but I have to turn the PA up really loud. I usually just go the headphones route.

I've always lived in a house where I could play the drums and I spent a LONG time house hunting five years ago when it was time to move because I refuse to compromise on that. I drum. That's what I do. If I can't drum in a house, I can't live there.
    We’ve been looking for two years now and along with a garage large enough to fit my car and Harley, a finished basement is an unwavering requirement for any potential house.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Unless recording, I never understood the need to mic a kit for individual practice. Put on some headphones or earplugs and play.

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Lucky you. I've been in various condos since '02. I'm done with this s***.
    Asbury Park has been calling your name for a long time now. The real question with a metropolis such as NYC, is the commute advantageous?

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Asbury Park has been calling your name for a long time now. The real question with a metropolis such as NYC, is the commute advantageous?
    We’ve looked as far away as west Orange. Our good friends just moved to Asbury. It’s all up to Lisa. I’ll drive everyday- I don't care. But the commute has to be palatable to Lisa. It’s all up to her.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    We’ve been looking for two years now and along with a garage large enough to fit my car and Harley, a finished basement is an unwavering requirement for any potential house.
    I totally understand. When my ex-wife and I finally bought the house I still live in, we ended up NOT in the city we really wanted because it was the only place that had a house with a good basement for drumming and a two car garage so we could both park inside in the winter. It was a long search and when we found the house, we had to move quickly. The owners got five offers that same day but fortunately ours was first and we got the house. We had situations prior to that where something got listed, we made an appointment to see it, and it was sold and off the market before we could even get there.
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

8. Not Your Everyday Drummer

Since you rehearse at your gigging locations with in-ears, I’d recommend doing the same at home. That way you’re always practicing closest to what your setup will be live. That said, with either type of headphone, it might help you to have your room treated for sound absorption. A couple moving blankets will do well to help control the sound in your space and help you to hear the drums more clearly behind the sound you’re getting from the in-ears/headphones.

9. Registered User

I use a Yamaha ead10 setup for home. It's not the cheapest option but I find it absolutely amazing for home practice

10. Registered User

I use these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...with-metronome

They're awesome. They let through just a little more of the drum sound than full on noise-blocking ear muffs, they have a built in metronome, AND, they have an 1/8" audio input that you can pipe your music into.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Riggz View Post
    I think I'm a bit of an unusual case. My gigging drum kits are located at the rehearsal hall or regular location. They are mic'ed and I rehearse with headphones are usually in ears.

However, my kit at home does not have microphones.

Normally I practice with headphones to hear the song at home and just allow the room volume of the drums to work their way through. This isn't ideal, because I know I'm not always making the best choices of sounds such as cymbals or properly hear dynamics.

I want to be careful of my hearing but I'm wondering if any of you set up speakers and play along with music that way, so you can hear both your drumming along with the music at the same time?

Mic'ing The home drum kit just isn't in the cards right now, which would be an ideal situation so I could take advantage of better being able to hear the drums but also regulate what I'm putting my ears through.

How might you folks strike a balance between an un-mic'ed kit, protecting my hearing, and getting a good sound off the music I'm listening to as I drum along with?

At the moment the best I've been able to pull off is a pair of headphones to listen to the music and just accept hearing the drums filter through, at room ambience, those phones.
    An obvious (?) question: what "in ears" and what "phones"? Also it isn't exactly clear from this whether or not, and in which circumstance, the mic's are fed (mixed) into your in-ears?

In any case, mic'd sounds are mic'd sounds and natural sounds are natural sounds. What exactly do you wish to hear "properly"?

I have NEVER played without some form of hearing protection -- protecting my ears is more important than anything else. I have been content with cheap E.A.R. type three flange plugs (as headphones aka in-ears or just plugs). The frequency response is natural enough for me. Some prefer much more expensive custom cast plugs as the response is allegedly close to perfectly flat, I've never tried them so can't say. Cup type headphones usually either very obviously distort the sounds or do not offer enough protection.

There are other factors as well, such as the size and type of space you play in etc. Just the drums by themselves might or might not even exceed 100 dB by much. At band rehearsals on the other hand the biggest danger to your ears is a bass amp, not the drums.