Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default At home practice. Speakers, headphones, in ears?

I think I'm a bit of an unusual case. My gigging drum kits are located at the rehearsal hall or regular location. They are mic'ed and I rehearse with headphones are usually in ears.

However, my kit at home does not have microphones.

Normally I practice with headphones to hear the song at home and just allow the room volume of the drums to work their way through. This isn't ideal, because I know I'm not always making the best choices of sounds such as cymbals or properly hear dynamics.

I want to be careful of my hearing but I'm wondering if any of you set up speakers and play along with music that way, so you can hear both your drumming along with the music at the same time?

Mic'ing The home drum kit just isn't in the cards right now, which would be an ideal situation so I could take advantage of better being able to hear the drums but also regulate what I'm putting my ears through.

How might you folks strike a balance between an un-mic'ed kit, protecting my hearing, and getting a good sound off the music I'm listening to as I drum along with?

At the moment the best I've been able to pull off is a pair of headphones to listen to the music and just accept hearing the drums filter through, at room ambience, those phones.

2. Registered User

I have sound coming through my hifi and use silent stroke drum heads and L80 cymbals :-)
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

3. Registered User

I use a cheap pair of those ear buds with the wrap around the ear thing . Then I put on a big pair of those quality decibel-reducing muffs. This does a good job for me of letting me hear the music and also reducing the volume of the kit so that I don't need the music coming in at a crushing volume.

4. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

I use some cheap earbuds to pipe in the tunes beneath quality PPE muffs. I can still control my dynamic level and pick out the tonal/timbre choices that I'm pulling out of my cymbals and snare drum. YMMV?

If you don't know if you're going to make "the best choices of sounds" until after you hit something, being able to better hear your drums probably won't retroactively fix that.

5. NO KIT TOO BIG

In your particular situation, i'd rig up a 2 channel mini mixer (behringer or the like) and a single mic in the room, which allows you to get the balance of sound you want, it won't be far different from the kit at the rehearsal room, and also doesn't take a huge amount of rigging up, with just the one mic, and use your regular in ears.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

6. Registered User

I use regular "can" style headphones with my practice kit at home so I can hear the music as loud as I want but not as much of the volume of the kit. This is similar to what I have to do playing live in the drum shield at churches so I've become comfortable with the muted sound of the drums. I think it's easier on my ears. I can always hear the acoustic drums without mic-ing them.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

7. Drumming Since 1943

What’s “at home” practice?

Oh! That’s for guys who have homes with basements and understanding neighbors.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Comrade Tim

I use my in-ears...they' rawk. ...full kit mic'd into my board, ipod on the aux channel, mix it where I want it ....

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

9. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Oh! That’s for guys who have homes with basements and understanding neighbors.
    I was right there with you until about ten months ago.

10. Miles Gibbons

I use standard fit in-ears, and keep the click or music I'm working with at a low volume so I can still hear the drums well. I don't think I'm compromising my sense of dynamics. You're always going to have to adjust live - to the room and the other players - anyway.

In my opinion, mic'ing the whole kit to practice is overkill, and individually mic'ed drums will give you an unrealistic representation of your touch and dynamics. RushDrums24 has suggested a good compromise though; if you really want to hear the live kit in your headphones, you can grab a $50 mixer and $100 condenser mic for the sake of practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    In your particular situation, i'd rig up a 2 channel mini mixer (behringer or the like) and a single mic in the room, which allows you to get the balance of sound you want, it won't be far different from the kit at the rehearsal room, and also doesn't take a huge amount of rigging up, with just the one mic, and use your regular in ears.

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    I was right there with you until about ten months ago.
    Lucky you. I've been in various condos since '02. I'm done with this s***.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Registered User

Something like this would work perfectly for you. https://www.amazon.com/Sabian-SSKIT-.../dp/B016E45YBA

I also use these on my ear buds. They are comfortable, and keep the sound out while I drum, or ride my Harley. https://www.complyfoam.com/