Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Purple Crazed

Default Unorthodox Cymbal Combinations

A thread for different cymbal combinations.

My two contributions:

I replaced a top hat with a 14" SABIAN El Rayo. It gives it the foot chick a jingle with a similar sound and feel to my Manhattan Jazz hats.

Using a Tama MXA73N Closed Hi-Hat Attachment, I placed a SABIAN Zen China over top of an 8" splash. This was an idea that Billy Ward mentioned to me years ago. I adjusted the height to give it a little bit of sizzle, similar to having rivets installed.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

2. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    A thread for different cymbal combinations.

My two contributions:

I replaced a top hat with a 14" SABIAN El Rayo. It gives it the foot chick a jingle with a similar sound and feel to my Manhattan Jazz hats.

Using a Tama MXA73N Closed Hi-Hat Attachment, I placed a SABIAN Zen China over top of an 8" splash. This was an idea that Billy Ward mentioned to me years ago. I adjusted the height to give it a little bit of sizzle, similar to having rivets installed.
    I like the concept of this thread. Thanks for starting it. I have played the Sabian Signature Max Stax low, med, and high for many years now. Recently, I inverted the top and bottom cymbals, putting the mini chinas on the bottom instead of the top. The result is a stealthy-looking stack, that sounds the same as the original, but now gives you the opportunity to play them with the tip of the stick, as well as the neck. Originally, you basically has one way to strike it, with the neck.

Name:  10tomclose.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  109.6 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    I saw Pat Mastelotto do something similar with King Crimson, but it was a china (maybe an 18" or 19") under his ride cymbal, on a cabled x-hat. He had three sounds: traditional ride (fully open), deep and trashy open hat (half open) or gnarly stack (fully closed). It was super creative, and I'd totally try it if I had a cabled x-hat.

At the moment, I don't really use any unconvential cymbal sounds. Every once in a while, I'll put a splash (right side up) over the bell of my ride cymbal, which gives you a rivety style sound when you play the bow of the ride, and a reverberant stack sound when you play on the splash. Obviously you lose the functionality of the bell, but it's a fun setup.

4. NO KIT TOO BIG

Terry Bozzio, Say no more

In my case it wasn't drastic, but an old Zyn 14" hi hat top stacked (upside down) on an inverted 18" ZIldjian china boy high, add a sizzle chain and it was white noise with a great sizzle, but also an extremely quick decay
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!