Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Band money problems

Hello all, I've been browsing these forums for a while now, and thought I'd just go ahead and make an account.

So I'm having some issues with my band, particularly on the financial side of things. Our singer is a diva and he's obsessed with pop/punk and emo bands from like 10 years ago. So well, we've decided to put on Tribute concerts to some of these bands such as Panic! At the Disco, Green Day, and now My Chemical Romance, and these shows are getting expensive to put on, and we're not really making any money. We've had a total of ONE paying gig in the last year and a half that wasn't something we had to put on ourselves, or playing for free. The only thing keeping me involved is the fact that the bassist is one of my best friends and likely my brother in law in a few years, and we're also signed to a label. But when we're playing for free for festivals that treat us like crap, having to spend $500-$1000 to put on these tribute concerts to bands that nobody cares about anymore, and barely making enough money to cover our expenses (that just goes back in the band account to pay for studio sessions anyway), it makes it seem not worthwhile. I don't mind not making a lot of money playing, or even playing an occasional show Pro Bono, but I certainly don't want to have to shell out tons of money to live out my singer's high school dreams. He's kind of a dictator and I'm typically the only one opposing him, so it seems like it's a "whatever he says goes" kind of deal. He's not really even all that great of a singer, but somehow thinks that he's going to make it big and be playing Wembley.

Is this kind of thing normal in a group and I'm just not getting the insane startup cost, or is this just insane start up cost that no band should be doing?

Thanks in advance.

2. Registered User

All of that sounds like incredibly toxic. I'm sure some bands 'operate' that way, but it's not a band i'd be interested in staying in. I'd be fairly upset if i was signed to an actual label and not making some sort of money, if nothing else to cover part of the expenses of touring.

I think there is always lots of cost involved in starting up a band (i've lost count of the price of the equipment we all needed to get gig worthy) but money has never been a focus for me. I enjoy playing, but if it started to cost me tons of money out of pocket with no reimbursement on the horizon, id have to rethink how much I participated.
    you are not to blame for bittersweet distractors

3. Registered User

My criteria for being is a band is that two of the following three things are required:
    1. Like the guys I'm playing with
    2. Like the music we're playing
    3. Making good money

#1 is by far the most important to me, but without at least two of the three, it's not something I have interest in doing for any period of time.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ADman2B View Post
    My criteria for being is a band is that two of the following three things are required:
    3. Making good money

#1 is by far the most important to me, but without at least two of the three, it's not something I have interest in doing for any period of time.
    This is solid advice.

5. Registered User

Why are you signed and working with studio time if you're not drawing a crowd interested in paying to see you? Who's gonna buy that album that you're working on? And how will you pay back the studio time, marketing costs, touring costs if you have little to no following willing to pay to see you?

I would never join a group that expects me to pay to host shows featuring other bands. That part of the equation is unusual and insane (imo).

I would concentrate on getting paying gigs to develop a local and regional following. Once you've achieved some success and a bit of a following... then worry about an album.

I think you might want to reevaluate the lead singer. Sounds like you'd be happier (and more lucrative) with a different approach.

6. Registered User

3. Making good money

THIS^^^

I already have a boring day job. When I play music, I want to like it and have fun.

7. bangin since '95

That sounds insanely toxic. And like you have a case of LSD (Lead Singer Disease).

The cost of our instruments alone tends to put us in the hole quite a bit, but you shouldn't having to keep PAYING to play. If you don't have any kind of an organic following, this is an expensive and ineffective way to do it. I'd jump ship.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

8. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

ADman2B offers sage advice. I think y'all need to come together as a band and give your singer the hard truth. Either they shape up or ship out.

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    Why are you signed and working with studio time if you're not drawing a crowd interested in paying to see you? Who's gonna buy that album that you're working on? And how will you pay back the studio time, marketing costs, touring costs if you have little to no following willing to pay to see you?
    Buying albums? Touring? Paying to see? I thought it was all about getting on Spotify and then marketing that avenue like crazy, getting on featured playlists, Artist/Album Radio playlists, etc.

Numerous artists I've discovered through Spotify who I enjoy enough to buy their album(s) either don't release physical albums or they are not distributed by a label and hard to source.
    Last edited by Feenix; 04-04-2019 at 02:02 PM.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    ADman2B offers sage advice. I think y'all need to come together as a band and give your singer the hard truth. Either they shape up or ship out.

Buying albums? Touring? Paying to see? I thought it was all about getting on Spotify and then marketing that avenue like crazy, getting on featured playlists, Artist/Album Radio playlists, etc.

Numerous artists I've discovered through Spotify who I enjoy enough to buy their album(s) either don't release physical albums or they are not distributed by a label and hard to source.
    You could be right. I don't have any idea. I'm stuck on an old business model, I suppose. But I still wouldn't be working with band that required this much capital investment with no revenue stream.

10. Registered User

3. Making good money

THIS! (excellent post!)
    10 pc. Pearl Session Series SRX in #125 Teal lacquer. 4pc Tama Superstar classic maple kit in Silver Snow metallic lacquer. Zildjian Custom A 14" Projection hats, 17"Projection crash, 18" Sabian AAXplosion crash and 20"Sabian AA Rock ride. Tama Iron Cobra pedal/hi-hat, Pearl hardware.

11. Registered User

It doesn't sound like making money is in the cards for your band. My mindset is if you play a gig, someone is making money and the band deserves a cut. While that seems like commons sense, I've banged heads with former band mates over this issue and I won't play in bands with them even though they are great guys.

12. Registered User

You Dont Make Money Playing in a Band !!!! Thats how she goes !!!! Unless you and your band play like Judas Priest from 1988, and are more entertaining !!!! You can make money off Merchandise like t-shirts, thats a good money maker. It's all about your PRODUCT !!! That's what your band is, it produces a Product and it has to be really good!!!