Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by killerkick View Post
    Well I know I've been where you are, that is "underwhelmed". It's not a good feeling, and like you said unless you have access to try out any kit you might want before purchasing it can be a difficult decision. Those new "classic" maple Ludwigs though never did impress me with their sound. I'm thinking about going back to Tama this hardware on these Pearl's are grating on me. PM me if you are interested in some Masters.
    I actually rather like the sound....though they lack the warmth i'd expect them to have given i'm coming from an inexpensive birch kit. I think i'd be happier with their legacy maples or club dates, which all have a fundamentally lower pitch, but my issue is less the sound and more the feel. And the feel is the part i'm still mum on.
    you are not to blame for bittersweet distractors

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker2 View Post
    I think i'm pretty good with the sizes....problem is, relying on youtube, even comprehensive youtube reviews, will still have drums mic'ed up. Very rarely do they get into 'feel'....with the exception of the guys at Drumcenter of Portsmouth, which is about as comprehensive as it gets. They always go out of their way to talk about how the kit feels to play.

Visually...I really dig pearls and Tmas. I know that may be very 'basic' of me...but whatever. I'm okay with triple flanged hoops as long as they are beefy 2.3 mm. Though I have a Stewart Copeland snare that has diecast rims that feels particularly nice to play.

Always a virgin kick. I play a one up/one/2 down set up so I don't worry about mounting hardware on my bass.
    I understand. Feel is a tough one. The three things in order that I find affect the feel of a drum are heads, hoops, and bearing edges. I know there are other factors. As you can see from my signature, I have a Pearl and a Tama kit. They are very different from each other and I like them both, so Iím not speaking as a fan boy. The new Starclassic walnut/birch seems like the best deal in a kit with die cast hoops. Pearlís lowest price kit with die cast hoops will run almost a thousand more. Tama is using walnut in their Star line up, so itís a premium drum wood. I was so intrigued by this shell combination, that I just bought a new Starclassic walnut/birch snare with an outer ply of cedar. It came on Tuesday, and I havenít tried it yet. Also, the Tamas have some wrap options where I believe the entire Masters line are all lacquer.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Sounds like you built up this idea of how awesome the kit would be in your head and when you finally got one it just didn't live up to those expectations. Turns out it was just another drum kit, slightly different, but altogether the same. Nothing to worry about, happens to a lot of people with a lot of things.

When buying an instrument it is important to find one that inspires your playing. It mostly sounds like this one just isn't it. You may not live next to a giant drum store, but if you live close (1-3hrs) you may find it's worth it to make a day trip of it to better your chances of finding an instrument that feels right to you.

4. Registered User

Those new tama starclassic B/W kits are nice. I was having a hard hard time deciding between one of those or my new Pearl Session Studio Selects.

Both had great colors I like. The Tama I liked the size of the bass drum better, and the sound samples online better, BUT I am a pearl fan, and also really like the sessions. I felt that I would be getting more drums for my money, so I settled with the 16x22 and sessions and couldnt be happier.

you have to be happy with what you choose or you will never be happy. At this point, I know I will only be happy temporarily. I get bit by switching up a lot, and know I will see this other kit eventually that ill just "have to have". It always happens.

5. Drumming Since 1943

I'd suggest a nice CB700 off of Craigslist. Not the cheap Korean-made ones but the vastly superior Japanese-produced shells. The '98-'99 run is some of the best poplar/pressboard drums made in that era. Paired with their amazing hardware... well, it's difficult to go wrong. Feel for days.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I'd suggest a nice CB700 off of Craigslist. Not the cheap Korean-made ones but the vastly superior Japanese-produced shells. The '98-'99 run is some of the best poplar/pressboard drums made in that era. Paired with their amazing hardware... well, it's difficult to go wrong. Feel for days.
    I have heard of their legendary musical prowess. Will look into.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
    Those new tama starclassic B/W kits are nice. I was having a hard hard time deciding between one of those or my new Pearl Session Studio Selects.

Both had great colors I like. The Tama I liked the size of the bass drum better, and the sound samples online better, BUT I am a pearl fan, and also really like the sessions. I felt that I would be getting more drums for my money, so I settled with the 16x22 and sessions and couldnt be happier.

you have to be happy with what you choose or you will never be happy. At this point, I know I will only be happy temporarily. I get bit by switching up a lot, and know I will see this other kit eventually that ill just "have to have". It always happens.
    Lol I’d rather not amass a huge collection of kits but you’re right. Those two kits are on the shortlist.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Sounds like you built up this idea of how awesome the kit would be in your head and when you finally got one it just didn't live up to those expectations. Turns out it was just another drum kit, slightly different, but altogether the same. Nothing to worry about, happens to a lot of people with a lot of things.

When buying an instrument it is important to find one that inspires your playing. It mostly sounds like this one just isn't it. You may not live next to a giant drum store, but if you live close (1-3hrs) you may find it's worth it to make a day trip of it to better your chances of finding an instrument that feels right to you.

Perfectly said.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I understand. Feel is a tough one. The three things in order that I find affect the feel of a drum are heads, hoops, and bearing edges. I know there are other factors. As you can see from my signature, I have a Pearl and a Tama kit. They are very different from each other and I like them both, so I’m not speaking as a fan boy. The new Starclassic walnut/birch seems like the best deal in a kit with die cast hoops. Pearl’s lowest price kit with die cast hoops will run almost a thousand more. Tama is using walnut in their Star line up, so it’s a premium drum wood. I was so intrigued by this shell combination, that I just bought a new Starclassic walnut/birch snare with an outer ply of cedar. It came on Tuesday, and I haven’t tried it yet. Also, the Tamas have some wrap options where I believe the entire Masters line are all lacquer.

Man that’s pretty. Tama just has such a lovely aesthetic. I love the way diecast hoops feel to play.

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I understand. Feel is a tough one. The three things in order that I find affect the feel of a drum are heads, hoops, and bearing edges. I know there are other factors. As you can see from my signature, I have a Pearl and a Tama kit. They are very different from each other and I like them both, so I’m not speaking as a fan boy. The new Starclassic walnut/birch seems like the best deal in a kit with die cast hoops. Pearl’s lowest price kit with die cast hoops will run almost a thousand more. Tama is using walnut in their Star line up, so it’s a premium drum wood. I was so intrigued by this shell combination, that I just bought a new Starclassic walnut/birch snare with an outer ply of cedar. It came on Tuesday, and I haven’t tried it yet. Also, the Tamas have some wrap options where I believe the entire Masters line are all lacquer.
    Great pics and beautiful snare Marv. Your new phone takes great pictures! I haven't changed out the butt plate on mine yet, but I hope to get some nice pics of the cedar veneer soon!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Registered User

If it doesn't inspire joy and make you excited to play, you shouldn't be playing it (I promise I'm not trying to sound like Marie Kondo here). One thing that my parents drilled into me growing up was to never "settle" and get what you really want whenever applicable. The Ludwigs were what you thought really wanted, but they're actually not. Look around again and find something that makes you smile and makes you want to play.
    I had a Tama Rockstar set for years, and I loved it for a long time. But eventually my musical style changed along with the way I physically perform, and eventually they just weren't right for me anymore. Eventually I got a Gretsch Catalina Club kit, and I loved it. About a year ago, I still really liked the Catalina, but it was no longer "the one" (as well as needing something different for other reasons). I hadn't played the Tama kit in a few years and knew I was probably never going to play it again, so I sold it and used the money to buy a Pearl Decade Maple after months of research and looking around. And you know what? I absolutely adore them. They're fun to play, they make me happy and I get excited to perform on them. That feeling is what you deserve with your drums. They're not just an instrument, they're an extension of you.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Who’s Marie Kondo?
    Way Too Much Crap