Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Unhappy Am I out of my mind?

Hey guys, its been a minute.

A few years ago I returned to the drumming world with a gifted Pearl Vision kit. It's been the practice kit for ages and the band I'm now in band that is starting to tour regularly so I wanted something a little higher end to both record and tour with.

Did lots of looking around, and decided on a good deal that i found on set of brand new-old stock ludwig classic maples. Blue oyster finish, in the pro-beat configuration.

Naturally, lots of my favorite drummers played Ludwigs so they were something I salivated over in my youth, as the 'ungettable' dream kit. Initially, I had my eye on something less pricey; something like a pearl sessions or tama starclassic b/b / b/w or even an entry level masters kit. Found the deal I found, and thought it was a no brainer.

And like...I don't know what it is....but I just don't LOVE the kit. I....I just don't. It's not any one thing, its just little things.

And even despite the deal I got, for the price spent, I feel l like more satisfaction should be had. Maybe its the sizes (tis my 1st 24' kick) maybe its the little engineering details (compared to my visions, adjusting bass drum spurs is a chore) but I think ultimately....I just don't love the way the kit 'feels'. Does that makes sense? As a drummer, its hard to sit down and test out different kits to see what feels good and what doesn't; unless you live by one of these gigantic drum specific stores, you're kinda at the mercy of whatever is in stock at your local music store or guitar center....and rarely does getting a chance to test out different kits at places like that ever present itself.

I can still return the kit, sell it even if necessary and not really take much of a loss....but am i dumb for reconsidering a lower end (but higher end than the vision I have now) kit instead of hanging on to these? Something is just off. I never thought I'd finally score a set of classic maples and come away.....well, 'underwhelmed' is the wrong word. I'm just not 'whelmed' in the right way.

Thoughts?
    you are not to blame for bittersweet distractors

2. Playing since 1976

Return them if you can, and get a kit that has the sizes you want. Do you want a wrap, or a lacquer finish?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. A Passion Play ...

Let them go and get something else.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. Registered User

I think I'm pretty flexible on the finish, though a wrap would make me cringe less while touring if anything were to go awry.

However I dunno if totally different sizes are in order. A lot of drums in my aforementioned price range have pre-built kits that'll have different availability as far as sizing goes. (i.e. starclassic b/b b/w come in a 22/16/12 layout, but not with any 24' kicks, unless you special order. something like a masters or sessions can be easily had in those prices.)

I'm less worried about the shell configuration as much as I am the concept of the perceived 'downgrade'....which may not be a downgrade at all depending on who you ask. And i'm asking y'all

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Let them go and get something else.
    The more I think about it, the more I feel like thats the appropriate course of action.

6. Registered User

Well I know I've been where you are, that is "underwhelmed". It's not a good feeling, and like you said unless you have access to try out any kit you might want before purchasing it can be a difficult decision. Those new "classic" maple Ludwigs though never did impress me with their sound. I'm thinking about going back to Tama this hardware on these Pearl's are grating on me. PM me if you are interested in some Masters.
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    22X18 8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker2 View Post
    I think I'm pretty flexible on the finish, though a wrap would make me cringe less while touring if anything were to go awry.
    If you're interested in durability, a kit with a Delmar Broken Glass wrap would look great, and endure some road bumps.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Registered User

I play on a cheap poplar kit that I've customized to my liking (removed the wrap, select heads, proper tuning. etc.) . I use a much pricier, high-end kit at the guitarist's house (his kit) when we practice - and I always miss my kit. It just sounds right to me. I would never look at money as an indicator of sound quality. It's just too subjective. Anyway - my two cents.

9. Chomp, Chomp

Buying a new drum kit should be a happy time. First, you have to decide on sizes. Next, you need to choose a finish that you like. Go online and listen to sound samples if there’s no store in your area with a comprehensive inventory of drums to try.
    Bass drum size is most critical. A 20” will never sound like a 24”. Toms are a little less critical. A 12 x 9 tom will not sound very different than a 12 X 8” tom. Also, do you want flanged hoop or die cast? I know you can always upgrade to die cast, but that gets expensive. Then there’s looks. I find some companies’s lugs more attractive than others. Do you want a virgin kick or one with a mount? You shouldn’t have to settle.
    If you can still return the kit you purchased, that’s what I would do rather than live with buyers remorse.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    If you're interested in durability, a kit with a Delmar Broken Glass wrap would look great, and endure some road bumps.
    Love glass finishes. I have a sparkle kit now, so its why i opted for an oyster finish on my ludwig, and the wrap IS top notch. I'm careful enough with my stuff, even when i gig, to not dismiss the idea of a lacquer.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Buying a new drum kit should be a happy time. First, you have to decide on sizes. Next, you need to choose a finish that you like. Go online and listen to sound samples if there’s no store in your area with a comprehensive inventory of drums to try.
    Bass drum size is most critical. A 20” will never sound like a 24”. Toms are a little less critical. A 12 x 9 tom will not sound very different than a 12 X 8” tom. Also, do you want flanged hoop or die cast? I know you can always upgrade to die cast, but that gets expensive. Then there’s looks. I find some companies’s lugs more attractive than others. Do you want a virgin kick or one with a mount? You shouldn’t have to settle.
    If you can still return the kit you purchased, that’s what I would do rather than live with buyers remorse.
    I think i'm pretty good with the sizes....problem is, relying on youtube, even comprehensive youtube reviews, will still have drums mic'ed up. Very rarely do they get into 'feel'....with the exception of the guys at Drumcenter of Portsmouth, which is about as comprehensive as it gets. They always go out of their way to talk about how the kit feels to play.

Visually...I really dig pearls and Tmas. I know that may be very 'basic' of me...but whatever. I'm okay with triple flanged hoops as long as they are beefy 2.3 mm. Though I have a Stewart Copeland snare that has diecast rims that feels particularly nice to play.

Always a virgin kick. I play a one up/one/2 down set up so I don't worry about mounting hardware on my bass.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    I play on a cheap poplar kit that I've customized to my liking (removed the wrap, select heads, proper tuning. etc.) . I use a much pricier, high-end kit at the guitarist's house (his kit) when we practice - and I always miss my kit. It just sounds right to me. I would never look at money as an indicator of sound quality. It's just too subjective. Anyway - my two cents.
    Totally agreed. Something about the kit feeling like it belongs to you and caters to you is invaluable.