Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
    from actually measuring with a tape, crush was more spot on with the 10x7 than pearl was honestly.
    I think I remember the depth issue I encountered years ago; anyone who recalls better, feel free to clarify. When Pearl introduced the STL lugs, it was difficult to fit the lugs on a 8x7 tom shell (or 10x7 for that matter). So when Pearl made 7" deep toms with the STL lugs, they actually made the shell 7.5" deep, to better accommodate the lugs. So this would only apply to Reference Pure 7" deep toms, or Masterworks 7" deep toms with STL lugs. Depth shouldn't be an issue for Session or Masters tom lugs. Again... I may not be 100% correct on that, but I'm trying to recall a time in the past when the shell depth was not the actual advertised size.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

2. anti-shark cage?

Pearl shells are a touch tiny bit bigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Top quality humour should never be served in a spoon.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Pearl shells are a touch tiny bit bigger
    I see that.

As the 12x8 is the same scenario when I compare both brands with each other. It made me wonder if my drums from pearl are over sized, or if the other were under sized. I guess I see now that the pearls are a little more oversized than the actual 7 and 8" advertised. The toms almost look close in size to my 10x8 and 12x9 DW toms.

4. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Where has the quality control gone? For shame.

5. Drumming Since 1943

Where has the quality control gone? For shame.
    This may be one of the sillier threads in quite a while. Who cares? Does the drum sound good? Then what’s it matter if it’s 1/4” shorter than advertised?

Only gear-obsessed YouTube basement drummers would give a ****.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    This may be one of the sillier threads in quite a while. Who cares? Does the drum sound good? Then whatís it matter if itís 1/4Ē shorter than advertised?

Only gear-obsessed YouTube basement drummers would give a ****.
    It was only a question. Youíre assumption of a basement drummer could not be further from the truth.

7. Drumming Since 1943

It was only a question. You’re assumption of a basement drummer could not be further from the truth.
    Perhaps in your case, sure. But I stand By my assumption in the general sense.

*JYK scurries off to measure his drums with a pool cue*
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Rodgers and Jordy!!

2016 PDF FFL Regular Season Champion 11-1 Record

*JYK scurries off to measure his drums with a pool cue*
    So how did they measure up? Make sure you cue isn't warped.
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Snakes&Arrows View Post
    So how did they measure up? Make sure you cue isn't warped.
    You know what? I got to my local pool hall, had the cue in my hand, was ready to walk out of the place when I came to the sudden realization that a) caring how perfectly my drums are sized and b) using a pool cue to verify it is pants-on-head re****ed. I dropped the cue and left. I feel I’m a better man for it.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

You know what? I got to my local pool hall, had the cue in my hand, was ready to walk out of the place when I came to the sudden realization that a) caring how perfectly my drums are sized and b) using a pool cue to verify it is pants-on-head re****ed. I dropped the cue and left. I feel I’m a better man for it.
    To be fair. The suggestion was to use a rack, not a cue.

You trying to belittle people for questions must make you feel like a man, and I am glad that is what gets your rocks off! Glad I could help you accomplish this KY Jelly.
    You'll have to excuse him, JY can be ornery on some topics. Don't mention replacing letters with numbers and/or YouTube covers and you'll be okay.

11. Registered User

No where in the entire thread do I see anyone is upset, or sad, or bothered by the size difference. It was only a question of what determines when a shell is 7" or 8" or whatever when there is a big difference between two companies that classify the same size with a noticeable difference. Its called education / gaining knowledge by asking. Some people learn by asking.

You trying to belittle people for questions must make you feel like a man, and I am glad that is what gets your rocks off! Glad I could help you accomplish this KY Jelly.

12. Drumming Since 1943

To be fair. The suggestion was to use a rack, not a cue.
    You are 100% right sir. I stand corrected. My knowledge of billiards hardware is admittedly limited. Especially when it comes to using it to measure drum shell depths.
    Way Too Much Crap