Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Are pearl shells true to size?

I only ask because I got a new session studio select and was looking at my 10x7 and 12x8 tom compared to a crush maple set that I have that is also 10x7 and 12x8, and the crush toms are much shallower in total depth compared to the pearls. (rim edge to rim edge). Overall a good inch for the whole drum. I measured what I believe is bearing edge to bearing edge and the crushes appear to be spot on compared to the pearls.

2. Playing since 1976

Are you talking about depths? If you are, why don't you just remove the heads, and measure from bearing edge to bearing edge. I'm interested to see what you find.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Are you talking about depths? If you are, why don't you just remove the heads, and measure from bearing edge to bearing edge. I'm interested to see what you find.
    I could, but I just got them all freshly tuned up. Im not "that" concerned with it. I was just curious because the difference of depth (but same sizes) got the best of me. Ill snap a pic.

4. Registered User

Attached are pics of the two 10x7 side by side
    Attached Images Attached Images   

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
    Attached are pics of the two 10x7 side by side
    Well now you have my curiosity piqued as well. Since you have a pool table, and you don't want to remove the heads, here is a way to get very close to the shell depth. Place a tom on the pool table (like in your first photo), an take your 8-ball rack (the "triangle" shaped one, not the "diamond" shaped 9-ball rack) and place it on top of a tom, making sure the rack sticks out over one of the sides of the tom. Measure the height of the tom, from the pool table, up to just under the 8-ball rack. That's the height of the drum with the hoops. Now measure the distance from the batter head surface to the top of the hoop, and do the same for the resonant side head to the top of the bottom hoop. Subtract those two measurements away from the total height of the drum, and you should have a reasonably accurate measure of the shell, depending on how well you measure and calculate fractions or millimeters.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

based on those photos I would suggest the crush toms are smaller, but it could have something to do with lug placement and the height of the drum hoops as well...nice drums by the way!
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

7. Registered User

Well now you have my curiosity piqued as well. Since you have a pool table, and you don't want to remove the heads, here is a way to get very close to the shell depth. Place a tom on the pool table (like in your first photo), an take your 8-ball rack (the "triangle" shaped one, not the "diamond" shaped 9-ball rack) and place it on top of a tom, making sure the rack sticks out over one of the sides of the tom. Measure the height of the tom, from the pool table, up to just under the 8-ball rack. That's the height of the drum with the hoops. Now measure the distance from the batter head surface to the top of the hoop, and do the same for the resonant side head to the top of the bottom hoop. Subtract those two measurements away from the total height of the drum, and you should have a reasonably accurate measure of the shell, depending on how well you measure and calculate fractions or millimeters.
    Ok i did that. Crush tom overall is 7.75 total. Rim to head is 5mm on top and bottom, so 10mm 7.75-10mm (7.36 for inch total depth)

Pearl session was 8.5 total. Rim to head is .5 inch each side so 7.5 inch total depth.

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
    Ok i did that. Crush tom overall is 7.75 total. Rim to head is 5mm on top and bottom, so 10mm 7.75-10mm (7.36 for inch total depth)

Pearl session was 8.5 total. Rim to head is .5 inch each side so 7.5 inch total depth.
    So they were both over the 7" mark. I remember something in the past about Pearl mentioning that their 7" shell would be 7.5".... but I can't remember the context of that discussion.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

So they were both over the 7" mark. I remember something in the past about Pearl mentioning that their 7" shell would be 7.5".... but I can't remember the context of that discussion.
    Sure you arenít thinking of 7.5mm thick shell?

10. Registered User

OK, I decided to bite the bullet and ill retune......i decided to go and unhoop and unhead both toms. The crush 10x7 ended up measuring just a hair under 7", it was close.

I then did the same with the pearl session studio select 10x7. It actually measured a little over 7 1/4".

So neither were a perfect 7"

11. Registered User

Pearl is usually Spot on for stuff. The Crush toms look like they are like the Tama Hyper Drive, 10 by 7, and 12 by 7.5 But it said 12 by 8 on their website. I'd Trust Pearl more, their 12 inch by 8 looks correct.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMadDrummer View Post
    Pearl is usually Spot on for stuff. The Crush toms look like they are like the Tama Hyper Drive, 10 by 7, and 12 by 7.5 But it said 12 by 8 on their website. I'd Trust Pearl more, their 12 inch by 8 looks correct.
    from actually measuring with a tape, crush was more spot on with the 10x7 than pearl was honestly.
    Last edited by 93civEJ1; 04-03-2019 at 06:19 AM.