Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Convince me why I should upgrade from a 2box armed with superior 3 and drumasonic

Playing a Stealth DIY kit currently and the sounds on my external sd card from sd3 and drumasonic are fantastic. I know I would need to change hihats (stealth conversion for 2box) to work with mimic but am told everything else will work flawlessly. Stealth is also offering a new 6 trigger snare system similar to ATV that I'm considering independently.Stealth offers a hihat solution for mimic but I'd like to hear what you guys consider to be the best hihat for this module, other triggers too like ATV etc..

What will I notice aside from the obvious, like the touch screen/interface/workflow that is an improvement over 2box? I understand the trigger parameter settings are very deep as are the mixing/eq/studio options. 2k is a sizable investment and I want to make sure I'm not just upgrading to a prettier looking interface. Thanks in advance.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

2. Drum Ninja

If you're happy with the sounds you're getting, don't change. The Mimic sounds awesome but I would consider it a little more processed than SD. 2Box was way ahead of it's time and I think the rest of the edrum community is catching up so you shouldn't feel like what you have is becoming obsolete.
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrin View Post
    If you're happy with the sounds you're getting, don't change. The Mimic sounds awesome but I would consider it a little more processed than SD. 2Box was way ahead of it's time and I think the rest of the edrum community is catching up so you shouldn't feel like what you have is becoming obsolete.
    Thanks for the response Ehrin. One of the bigger 2box proponents I know, strongly urged me to make the upgrade. He was a Mimic Pro product tester and knows pretty much all there is to know regarding the 2box as the designer of the sd card extender. His biggest reason for me to change, is the play feel of the mimic. He described it as the most natural feeling ekit he's played and suggested that the module sort of learns your habits and tailors the experience around them. I really view his opinion with a great deal of respect and for me, the play feel and sound quality (which is already there) are by far the most important variables.

I've more or less made up my mind to get one, so I apologize if I seem unwilling to hear both sides of the argument. Nothing beats the experience of playing a real kit and tech is certainly getting us closer and closer. If the mimic will improve the playing experience over the 2box and get me even closer to the real thing, then to me, its money well spent. I have an abundance of somewhat redundant gear I'll likely put up for sale, assuming I decide to keep the Mimic, to help offset it's cost. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that money is no object (believe me it is) acquiring a mimic is well within my budgetary constraints, so I'm not stressing about the cost (and I found a killer deal on a brand new module anyway).

Again thanks for the thoughtful reply and I agree about the quality of the 2box. It's such an unassuming beast of a machine. With the card extender running libraries of sd3 and drumasonic the sound quality is amazing. The feel is really, really good too. If the mimic can improve at all on my 2box experience, I may finally forget that I can't play an acoustic kit at home

4. Drum Ninja

Sounds like JMan
    RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
    RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrin View Post
    Sounds like JMan
    You are correct sir! Hahaha nice catch. Hes such a knowledgeable and helpful dude and couldn't be nicer or more willing to help. I feel fortunate to have the access I do.