Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
  1. NO KIT TOO BIG

Hanging out recently with the legendary Neal Wilkinson (Ex Van Morrison, Mike & the Mechanics, Paul McCartney, Annie Lennox) and Session bass player Steve Pearce (Stevie Wonder, Tom Jones, Bryan Ferry, Madonna, Mark Knopfler), at the Royal College of Music, lovely guys, could've chatted for hours.

Name:  59730714_2238452773071768_2767097620353515520_n.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  54.4 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

2. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Not exactly met him, but when my son and I started drumming, my son wrote Nicko McBrain a letter telling him he was his favorite drummer and asking him for tips on how to practice. I did some sluthing and found his home address and sent the letter off thinking that would be the last we heard of it. 6 months later after he got back from his tour, Nicko hand wrote my son a 2 paragraph letter back that was very encouraging with some tips. We now have it framed (with a nice pic of Nicko on his old Premiers) and up on his bedroom wall. Class act all the way.
    Nicko is truly one of the great gentlemen of metal - I've never heard a bad word said about him, never heard him say a bad word about anyone, and everytime I've met him he's just been lovely.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

3. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Nicko is truly one of the great gentlemen of metal - I've never heard a bad word said about him, never heard him say a bad word about anyone, and everytime I've met him he's just been lovely.
    Oh... there are recordings of him flipping his lid. And there's that whole arrest in NY thing. He's human. Just more awesome than the rest of us.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Oh... there are recordings of him flipping his lid. And there's that whole arrest in NY thing. He's human. Just more awesome than the rest of us.
    Tried to PM you Dylan. Your full!

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Tried to PM you Dylan. Your full!
    Try again.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. NO KIT TOO BIG

Just listen to Mission from 'Arry, the backstage argument between Nicko and Steve Harris after a gig, which Bruce Dickinson secretly recorded on a cassette recorder, absolutely classic, so good they ended up releasing it as a B side, they all fell about laughing when the tape was found a few months later.

Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Just listen to Mission from 'Arry, the backstage argument between Nicko and Steve Harris after a gig, which Bruce Dickinson secretly recorded on a cassette recorder, absolutely classic, so good they ended up releasing it as a B side, they all fell about laughing when the tape was found a few months later.

Bingo. As much as Nick is known for his gentlemanly nature, he’s also known for his temper.

And that particular release (Wasted Years B-Sides) has one of my all time fave maiden tunes on it: Reach Out.
    Last edited by JY Kelly; 06-13-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

https://youtu.be/TDGhAZEQyLw

I believe this is the argument in question: Love Nicko, great personality.
    Last edited by Pearlnpaisteguy; 06-13-2019 at 07:15 PM.

9. The Hardware Guy

Well tonight I went and topped the opening post of this thread - I managed to meet my muse.

26 years ago, when I was 11 years old, I decided I wanted to become a drummer after discovering Guns N' Roses in the summer of '93, when Matt Sorum was playing for them. It was watching the videos of him playing, seeing the pics, and of course hearing his drums on the 'Illusions' records that made the decision, and the rest, as they say, was history. There's been a torrent of influences since then, some big, some small, and all significant, but none has been more important than Matt's first impression on me as a kid. And tonight, after seeing him play (something else I've waited all that time to do, since this was the first time seeing him play live) with Deadland Ritual, I got the opportunity after the show to tell him he inspired my to play drums back in the day, and get a couple autographs. Sadly no photo this time, there were just too many people round him, all clamouring for pics and autographs, but I did manage to get two items signed: the obligatory drum head, as well as a decades old magazine clipping I'd saved. He was only signing one item per person, but after he obliged me with the head signature, I thought I'd press my luck so I exclaimed about him being the reason I started playing drums, and asked nicely if he'd do me the kindness of signing the magazine ad too. He turned his head sharply and gave me a smile, and said "of course man" as he began scribbling on it. Then he asked my name, and wrote that on the top, something I hadn't seen him do for anyone else. I didn't push for a picture after that, and didn't want to be rude by just stepping in front of him for a selfie, so I just thanked him and stood aside while he waded through the throng of people to get to the tour bus, signing and posing for photos as he did. It wasn't as relaxed an encounter as it was with Mike Portnoy, or Nicko for that matter, and was a bit more brief, but I put that down to there being a couple dozen people vying for his attention rather than "not-give-a-hoot" rockstarishness. He was a nice guy, and I was thrilled to have finally connected after all those years.

As nights go, that was a pretty good one!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Well tonight I went and topped the opening post of this thread - I managed to meet my muse.

26 years ago, when I was 11 years old, I decided I wanted to become a drummer after discovering Guns N' Roses in the summer of '93, when Matt Sorum was playing for them. It was watching the videos of him playing, seeing the pics, and of course hearing his drums on the 'Illusions' records that made the decision, and the rest, as they say, was history. There's been a torrent of influences since then, some big, some small, and all significant, but none has been more important than Matt's first impression on me as a kid. And tonight, after seeing him play (something else I've waited all that time to do, since this was the first time seeing him play live) with Deadland Ritual, I got the opportunity after the show to tell him he inspired my to play drums back in the day, and get a couple autographs. Sadly no photo this time, there were just too many people round him, all clamouring for pics and autographs, but I did manage to get two items signed: the obligatory drum head, as well as a decades old magazine clipping I'd saved. He was only signing one item per person, but after he obliged me with the head signature, I thought I'd press my luck so I exclaimed about him being the reason I started playing drums, and asked nicely if he'd do me the kindness of signing the magazine ad too. He turned his head sharply and gave me a smile, and said "of course man" as he began scribbling on it. Then he asked my name, and wrote that on the top, something I hadn't seen him do for anyone else. I didn't push for a picture after that, and didn't want to be rude by just stepping in front of him for a selfie, so I just thanked him and stood aside while he waded through the throng of people to get to the tour bus, signing and posing for photos as he did. It wasn't as relaxed an encounter as it was with Mike Portnoy, or Nicko for that matter, and was a bit more brief, but I put that down to there being a couple dozen people vying for his attention rather than "not-give-a-hoot" rockstarishness. He was a nice guy, and I was thrilled to have finally connected after all those years.

As nights go, that was a pretty good one!
    Matt’s cool and a good drummer but I’ll admit that I don’t quite get your admiration for him. Like, to me, he’s deserving of accolades but an inspiration? To me, he never rose to that level. But hey- it’s a very subjective thing. Regardless of my useless opinion, it’s sounds like a great night. Cheers mate.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Matt’s cool and a good drummer but I’ll admit that I don’t quite get your admiration for him. Like, to me, he’s deserving of accolades but an inspiration? To me, he never rose to that level. But hey- it’s a very subjective thing. Regardless of my useless opinion, it’s sounds like a great night. Cheers mate.
    I like the fact he beat Axl’s *** once.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I like the fact he beat Axl’s *** once.
    Never heard about that one.
    Way Too Much Crap