Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Tuning a snare to perfect 4th's with a Tune-bot

Here is another quick video I made on tuning my snare to a perfect 4th with the tune bot as well. I seemed to have pretty good results on it and it sounds amazing in the room. Lots of body and a nice crack. I find it let the overtones show just enough to give the snare some character and not be too dry.

https://youtu.be/f7L6ow_cxrA

2. life start at 125bpm

i really like how your drums sounds...can clearly hear the notes...but of course,even with so little sound processing, there,s still the typical ''silky smooth''' noise control and compressor audible to the ears,but all considered,they sounds quite natural.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

3. Registered User

I really tried to keep any effects/compression to a minimum and eq to a minimum. I had to eq out a small dip around 500hz which I do on almost every drum due to these mics. All I can tell you in the room they sounded fantastic. I tuned every drum to a perfect 4th.

The only thing I want to play with is the floor tom a bit. I am not sure if it is out of tune from playing it a few days or if it didn't like the tuning as much. Most of what you are hearing in the video is from the overheads and not the close mics.

4. Playing since 1976

Your videos are well done. I see you put a lot of effort into planning them out, and giving good information. I have two comments about this video in particular, if you're up for hearing some constructive criticism.

1) For toms, have you measured your Tune-Bot settings when the drum is on the floor/table, and when it is mounted on the kit. There is no way the measurements will be the same. When you hang the drum by it's tension rods (like with an Optimount), the tensions on the heads will change.

2) Your snare drum buzz is out of control in this video. I can barely hear the tune of each tom, over the snare buzz. When you record with your band, do you pick a lot of that up with your overheads? Or do you tune differently when you record with the band? Or are you triggering, and deleting the organic sounds?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

I need to improve the lighting and white balance. that is for sure. And I tuned on the floor. They were actualy a bit out of tune in this video because it was a few days earlier. I should check and see how different the optimounts make. That is a good idea to get them sounding good in a REAL setting. I'll try that next.

The sound from this is mostly in the overheads with the close mics being pretty quiet just for the snare/toms to make it in to sound as natural as I could. The snare buzz is pretty over the top, That could be due to the looser reso head and not tightening the snares after.

When I record with the band I use a lot more close mics for the toms/snare, and overheads for the cymbals. For a natural drum sound it's almost all overhead mics with the close mic's to just bring the drums forward or beef them up in the low end if needed.

Depending on what I am recording I sampled my drums and HAVE used triggers in the past, but other than the kick I prefer to use my natural playing as often as possible. Alot depends on who I record for, what I am playing, How long I have to mix/edit etc.