Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Ive got a little over $850... whats a good mid-level kit?

So I JUST purchased a new Gretsch Catalina 7 piece Maple kit for $876 bucks... They are Maple shells and the main reason I got them was I wanted to upgrade from my basswood Mapex kit. I purchased them off Amazon and after looking around I feel I got a decent deal. However you guys are my go to people for drum information. Should I have gone with a different drum set? I thought about the DDRUM hybrid kit.... I didnt want to spend over $1,000 which is why I didnt purchase a Pearl set. I didn't want Popular wood shells and I dont need a high-end kit just yet... But I figured a good mid-level kit will due just fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas as far as drum kits go? Maybe I should of went with Yamaha, or the DDRUM hybrid, or something? The kit I purchased is pictured below...

Name:  Screenshot_2019-03-13-14-10-06(1).jpg
Views: 259
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2019-03-13-14-10-12(1).jpg
Views: 256
Size:  62.1 KB

2. A Passion Play ...

Nothing wrong with the kit you just bought.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Nothing wrong with the kit you just bought.
    ^ this.....

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

4. Registered User

Thanks Eric and Jonah Hex... I'm really excited as last time I went into a recording studio the owner had me play an older Gretsch set and it sounded wonderful. Its funny though... My real name is Eric and I did try to use it as a username and it was taken lol I now see by who

But I definitely appreciate your input and will post pictures in the "show us your kit" section once I recieve it. I love my Mapex Bass wood kit but I was on a super tight budget. But after saving up some money I decided it was time to upgrade my kit. I have all the hardware (2x double tom stands with a cymbal attachment on each and 4 (soon to be 5 different snares). Ive never owned a maple kit though so I'm excited to hear the diffference once I swap the heads out.

My Mapex has EC2 batters and EC Reso's but on the new kit I want to keep it classy and probably stick with Remo white heads. It goes so well with the cherry finish on the shells. But again thank u both for taking the time to reply.

5. Playing since 1976

Looks pretty nice to me. The only thing I would've suggested would be to check out this blowout deal at Drum Center of Portsmouth. It's very similar to your kit, but a step up... the only problem is you'd only get 5 drums for $790... no snare, and no 14" floor tom.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/gretsch...ece-with-22-sw
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. A Passion Play ...

Happy to help. I think you have a fine kit. Pics ASAP please.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

7. Unban nik12

Not a fan of the Catalinas, the hardware is cheap and maple is too. If you enjoy them then fine, but if I had your budget I probably would have bought something like this:

https://reverb.com/p/pearl-ssc924xup...&hfid=10881982

8. Registered User

Nice & Congrats! I almost pulled the trigger on a used set like this that was dirt cheap because the guy removed all of the hardware (literally just a shell pack). Probably should have.

I'm still trying to adjust to the fast tom look. It's just a personal thing. I'm a product of 80s rock drumming so I'm a bit stuck in the mode that toms should have more depth. I'm working on it

9. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Nice & Congrats! I almost pulled the trigger on a used set like this that was dirt cheap because the guy removed all of the hardware (literally just a shell pack). Probably should have.

I'm still trying to adjust to the fast tom look. It's just a personal thing. I'm a product of 80s rock drumming so I'm a bit stuck in the mode that toms should have more depth. I'm working on it
    It's not a shell pack when the hardware is removed. It's a set of shells that require a big pile of (typically) expensive hardware to complete. Good thing you let that deal go.

As far as tom depths, you don't have to get used to anything. You can buy any kind of toms you like. Deeper toms are still available from many companies. Play what you like.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. Registered User

I got a chance to play on my buddies Catalina kit and I was blown away at how great the toms sounded and how deep his bass drum was... I'm not sure what you mean by "cheap maple" as wood is wood. It's not like the shells are mixed with popular wood or anything like that. He ordered the same kit I did and I find the hardware to be sturdy and solid. I'll swap the original heads out as I always do when I purchase a new kit. But after reading MANY reviews on this Maple kit and hearing it played both live and on YouTube I'm pretty stoked for the price I got it at. Plus it will definitely be an upgrade from my Mapex V Series made of basswood.

THE only issue I could see is the smaller 8in tom on the Catalina has a 2 tension mounting system. I'd rather have 4 but its only an 8in tom and Gretsch still uses a 5 lug pattern if I'm not mistaken. But after actually playing on the kit I loved the warm tones the maple shells produced. Usually I use Evans heads for my toms but I think this time I'll go with Remo as the kit sounded amazing with Remo batters/reso heads. Plus I like the classic look of the white drum heads. Plus if I get the kit and it's not to my liking then I can always send it back. But 6.5 ply isnt super thick so that's something to keep in mind. He uses his kit for studio work and both live and recorded they sounded amazing. This isnt an entry level kit either, it's not high end but its a Gretsch kit. I'm not sure who put out that the hardware is cheap but they are definitely mistaken. The last kit I restored had cheap hardware.... And the sound this Maple kit trumps the basswood kit I currently have... I purchased a 4 year warranty and it's not a used kit.

But once I played the kit I fell in love and cannot wait for mine to be delivered. I will post plenty of pictures once this baby comes in.

Side note* purchasing this kit is no different than buying Pearls Decade kit which is made of 6.5 ply maple and costs almost $200 more. So in hindsight I feel I got a great deal and I'm tired of these 45 degree sharp bearing edges... Having a 30 degree bearing edge will be different and from what I heard today I can totally tell the difference between the two.

11. Unban nik12

If you're happy with your kit, good for you, but you were the one who bought a kit and asked for opinions on it and if you should have bought something else, I simply stated my opinion and experience. You don't have to prove anything to me.

In my experience with Gretsch Catalinas, the hardware was garbage. Multiple lugs snapped on my friends kit, the insides were rough and unfinished, and the maple was low end maple. It wasn't the North American Hard Rock Maple that's used on professional kits. If Gretsch has since fixed those issues, good on them. I still am a huge proponent of buying used because with your budget you probably could have managed to snag a Pearl Masters, Tama Starclassic, or Gretsch Renown.

Hope you enjoy your drums.

12. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Looks pretty nice to me. The only thing I would've suggested would be to check out this blowout deal at Drum Center of Portsmouth. It's very similar to your kit, but a step up... the only problem is you'd only get 5 drums for $790... no snare, and no 14" floor tom.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/gretsch...ece-with-22-sw
    what a steal....seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Not a fan of the Catalinas, the hardware is cheap and maple is too. If you enjoy them then fine, but if I had your budget I probably would have bought something like this:

https://reverb.com/p/pearl-ssc924xup...&hfid=10881982
    a little higher in price,but yeah,those SSC's are amazing drums for the price. best value in the pearl line up
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes