Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Cool Seeking Hi-Hat brand/model opinion

Hi,
    Haven't been active here for a long time. I'm rejuvenating my set-up. Looking at 'pre-owned' Hi-Hat cymbals and would appreciate hearing opinions on 2 sets I'm considering to accompany my 'vintage' World Series' Pearl drums.
    - Sabian 14'' HHx Manhattan Jazz (these have been lightly used (played) in studio environment. They are no longer manufactured by Sabian.
    versus
    - Zildjian 14'' K in excellent condition (no known usage conditions, from on-line store)

I play mostly jazz and blues in small venues and occasional '70s & '80s rock standards. Looking for a distinct 'chick' with mid volume closed sticking. Envy the sound that Bernard Purdie and Steve Gadd have. (I know Steve has is own K Customs...but) .
    These cymbals are both selling online and they are not located close for me to 'try' them.
    Like to have anybody chime in on opinions or experience. Selling price is same for both of these Hi Hats.
    Thanks.
    Rick

2. Registered User

Of those two options, I'm sure either will get the job done nicely for your needs.

As a tie-breaker, I've heard the HHX Manhattan Jazz Hats are something special. Never played a set myself, but I've read some glowing reviews. Plus you know the history on those. That alone is valuable.

3. Purple Crazed

HHX Manhattan Jazz Hats. They are my "go to" hi-hats for playing out. In my opinion, they are the perfect hi-hats. They are expressive, providing a solid foot chick, foot splash, along with nice "tah" stick response to lay down the pulse while keeping the groove going like flowing water. I think you'll love them.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 20x14G | 18x14 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

4. Music Lover

What a drummer has seen and heard in person will most likely be a keeper rather than one from a website providing little data. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
    Of those two options, I'm sure either will get the job done nicely for your needs.

As a tie-breaker, I've heard the HHX Manhattan Jazz Hats are something special. Never played a set myself, but I've read some glowing reviews. Plus you know the history on those. That alone is valuable.
    I tend to agree about the part that I'd be dealing with an owner that can truthfully testify to actual usage. I've seen pics of both sets only. Darn thing is the HHx 's are 3 hours drive away...if I wanted to hear them first before buying or have the owner ship.
    Thanks for the input.
    Rick

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    HHX Manhattan Jazz Hats. They are my "go to" hi-hats for playing out. In my opinion, they are the perfect hi-hats. They are expressive, providing a solid foot chick, foot splash, along with nice "tah" stick response to lay down the pulse while keeping the groove going like flowing water. I think you'll love them.
    Glad to hear from you RG1820x (Purple Crazed). I am however wondering about the way they come in some varying weights. I've seen some YouTube samples from the Memphis Drum Shop dated in 2018 with the 'actual' set being sold. Sabian claims the Top is 'medium-light' and Botton 'medium-heavy'. I suppose there's a certain amount of 'tolerance' in the final weight since they are hand lathed and hand hammered to reach the 'tonale' range of these cymbals. Not trying to get too technical here...just admitting to the possible variations. I'm sure they would be better than the XS20's which are best for Rock style.
    Rick

7. Registered User

Zildjian K Customs are probably the winner choice if it was me buying.. Sabian Cymbal Quality Control has been poor over last several years. Zildjian way better made
    Last edited by DrumPlayerFTW; 03-09-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x18 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio Monitors

8. Registered User

DrumPlayer FTW:
    You might want to start your own Thread since your topic is not related to my original Post. Thank you.
    BuddyRick

9. Purple Crazed

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRick View Post
    Glad to hear from you RG1820x (Purple Crazed). I am however wondering about the way they come in some varying weights. I've seen some YouTube samples from the Memphis Drum Shop dated in 2018 with the 'actual' set being sold. Sabian claims the Top is 'medium-light' and Botton 'medium-heavy'. I suppose there's a certain amount of 'tolerance' in the final weight since they are hand lathed and hand hammered to reach the 'tonale' range of these cymbals. Not trying to get too technical here...just admitting to the possible variations. I'm sure they would be better than the XS20's which are best for Rock style.
    Rick
    From my experience, (final) cymbal weights vary. I have 3 of the same model and they vary from 3168g-3512g. I have also seen them outside of that range online.

In regards to the youtube samples from MDS, I looked it up and saw:
    Set #1: 839g/937g (*Paper Thin/Thin)
    Set #2: 879g/1125g (*Thin/9g short of Medium Heavy)
    My set: 870g/1097g (*Thin/Medium)

Maybe the owner has a scale and will be able to weigh them for you.

*Using reference information that I saw on http://www.cymbalholic.com/forums/sh...le-For-Cymbals

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 20x14G | 18x14 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    From my experience, (final) cymbal weights vary. I have 3 of the same model and they vary from 3168g-3512g. I have also seen them outside of that range online.

In regards to the youtube samples from MDS, I looked it up and saw:
    Set #1: 839g/937g (*Paper Thin/Thin)
    Set #2: 879g/1125g (*Thin/9g short of Medium Heavy)
    My set: 870g/1097g (*Thin/Medium)

Maybe the owner has a scale and will be able to weigh them for you.

*Using reference information that I saw on http://www.cymbalholic.com/forums/sh...le-For-Cymbals
    Well I thought to ask the owner about the weights. He indicated not knowing since these Hi Hats came to him in a trade. Not like having the opportunity to try a couple of sets in a Music Store and selecting the 'perfect' pair and having the weight specifications labelled. I'll see if the owner has a digital kitchen scale that weighs in Grams and would accomodate my request.
    With your valuable comments...I'm leaning more in the Sabian direction...but to be assured I'll have to make the trip to see and hear them now.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DrumPlayerFTW View Post
    Zildjian K Customs are probably the winner choice if it was me buying.. Sabian Cymbal Quality Control has been poor over last several years. Zildjian way better made
    Maybe this applies to more recent (past 5 years) about QC at Sabian...however, the HHx Manhattan Jazz cymbals have been out of production for more than that time. So not sure if the QC issue would apply or should be of concern to these Hi Hats I'm considering. But good to know info just the same. Thank you.

12. Registered User

The Manhattan Jazz hats are devine. They are super mellow and have such a soft feel to them. Really, really nice set of hats. Probably not the best for blues, but for jazz and singer/songwriter stuff they are great. The K hats may be a bit more universal though. Never played the K's you asked about, but I have played the Manhattans and I was floored with how good they were.