Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I never really thought about that, but it’s a very good point. I would imagine that a large center port or mesh head would give the sound of a single headed bass.
    Thanks. This particular drum sounds huge with the heads I have on it. I have others with the main part of the head all cut out, with just enough of the outer head to allow the hoop to be put on. This creates basically a single headed drum, which gives more of a concert tom sound to it. Have never head the Tama gong drum in person, so I can't compare the sound I am getting to a Tama.

Mapex is selling there new Design Lab kits with an optional 18" that can be a bass drum, a floor tom, or a gong drum. Great idea for versatility.

http://mapexdesignlab.com/content/en/components_03.html

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Mapex is selling there new Design Lab kits with an optional 18" that can be a bass drum, a floor tom, or a gong drum. Great idea for versatility.

When are you getting a design lab then?
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    When are you getting a design lab then?
    Maybe never. I am really off of buying anything drum related at the moment. I have all I want, and definately more than I need.

4. Purple Crazed

Thanks. This particular drum sounds huge with the heads I have on it. I have others with the main part of the head all cut out, with just enough of the outer head to allow the hoop to be put on. This creates basically a single headed drum, which gives more of a concert tom sound to it. Have never head the Tama gong drum in person, so I can't compare the sound I am getting to a Tama.

+1 for Mapex! That is a great idea.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    +1 for Mapex! That is a great idea.
    Yes it is.

6. th droids yerlookn4

i honestly hated all mapex's offerings at namm this year EXCEPT for this
    im using a 20 inch bass as a gong/floor tom on my left under my hats etc. so this totally appeals to me the rest of nammm ..eh, not so much

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    i honestly hated all mapex's offerings at namm this year EXCEPT for this
    im using a 20 inch bass as a gong/floor tom on my left under my hats etc. so this totally appeals to me the rest of nammm ..eh, not so much
    Well Armorys are selling like hot cakes right now, so there was a big focus on those. Nothing really gets me too excited anymore about new drum stuff. After you realize drums sound like drums for the most part, there really isn't any reason to change what you have unless you are just bored.

8. th droids yerlookn4

until i finally own something nice like a saturn, i still get can get awestruck.. some drums stuff still gets me giddy ..lol

9. Registered User

This was some awesome info about the gong drums ive been seeing. I saw a youtuber cut a bass almost to his lugs (called it a pancake gong) I didnt like the sound at all.. No resonance, just a thud and that's it. I do like the idea of using a smaller bass drum that still has its resonance side and allows for a "boom" not a "thud" lol. It's wild how some drum manufacturers will charge outrageous prices for their kits made from the same woods and materials as other kits but will charge an arm and a leg.

I've always loved Pearl for their fair prices on drum kits. Ive played on hi-end kits that cost $5k plus and I'm sure if it's just a studio drum then maybe..... No not even then. I could understand needing maple or Birch shells but there are plenty of manufacturers (Pearl, Tama, Mapex, ddrum) who have high end kits that may go beyond $1500 or $2k even. But unless it's a massive kit you wont see that crazy price tag. DW while rated high among some studios will charge $1,500 for 3 drums... A bass, a single rack tom and a floor tom.. No snare, no hardware... That's just crazy to me... Especially when you have companies making pretty much the same kit for way less. Maybe it's all a matter of the name?

Anyways back on topic... I have noticed people are doing some great things with cymbals these days. Stacking, cutting them up into crazy shapes, putting holes in them. It's crazy how far drumming has come since the 1920's and 30's. Especially with triggers on drum kits.

10. Registered User

As I said, I've seen many drummers playing gongbass Tama meanwhile they are endosers from other brands (Paul Bostaph or Neil peart)

Zildjian few days ago uploaded a dennis chamber's video in youtube, I'm very amazed about he is playing a real gongbass I dont whether it is a Tama or adapted Pearl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY15louxniU
    WANTED ::: Tom Mapex ProM 8" Blue Ice ::: WANTED

11. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by neilrush View Post
    As I said, I've seen many drummers playing gongbass Tama meanwhile they are endosers from other brands (Paul Bostaph or Neil peart)

Zildjian few days ago uploaded a dennis chamber's video in youtube, I'm very amazed about he is playing a real gongbass I dont whether it is a Tama or adapted Pearl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY15louxniU
    That is definitely a Pearl gong bass drum, made in the Tama style. It has Pearl parts on it, and it has a matching hoop with claws that are not made by Tama.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 6.37.16 PM.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  60.8 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Drumming Since 1943

Is that even a Pearl drum? Do they make those angled lugs? Even the mounts look non-Pearl. I could be wrong but...
    Way Too Much Crap