Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Original Gong Bass Drums

The original gong bass drum, as far as I know, was introduced by Tama way back when. As you well know, it had a head that was 2" larger than its shell size that stretched over to resemble a tympani, which I'm assuming is a patented design. Aren't the ones we see now just single headed bass drums? Do they sound different than Tama's original? Anybody have any thoughts or insight? TIA.

2. Paiste-oholic

Yes, I agree. Unless it has the 2" larger head that is stretched over the bearing edge, it's just a mounted bass drum to me.

3. The Hardware Guy

Just the same way a vacuum cleaner is referred to as a Hoover and tissues are called Kleenex, or photocopying something is to xerox it - it's an eponym, and so we now generally call mounted (single headed usually) bass drums "gong drums" (and the different manufacturers versions of long, thin, single headed tuned drums "octobans")

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

4. Registered User

I've never heard the original from Tama. I was just wondering if the sound is different from a mounted bass drum. If it sounds more like a tympani because of the stretched head, then that would be a cool effect; if not then it's just a gimmick.

5. KCCO

Drumming-4-Life has one. You could ask him.
    Drum Workshop 6 Piece Collectors Series in Ruby Glass
    Various Snares
    Trick Pro 1V Double Pedal Black Widow Edition
    Motion Pro Throne

Roland TD 50 KV
    Trick Pro 1V Double Pedal Black Widow Edition
    Ahead Spinal Glide Throne

6. Paiste-oholic

I had a Tama Gong Bass. It didn't sound like a timpano. That would be hard to do since it wasn't made like one, aside from the way the head stretch over the BE. It sounds like a big, bassy concert tom.

Gimmick? Sure.

Do people feel like they need one, hence the company makes a profit? Absolutely.

Aside from Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, and Simon Phillips, there aren't many drummers who probably require in their setup. The only reason I had one was because Neil and Simon used one.

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
    Drumming-4-Life has one. You could ask him.
    I've owned a handful of gong bass drums, both Pearl and Tama. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I liked the Pearl gong drums because of their simplicity and playability. In particular, Pearl offers the 1" wood counter hoop, which makes the drum very easy to strike. The weakness of the standard bass drum design, along with the open resonant end, makes for a one-dimensional thud sound.

The Tama gong bass drum can be very finicky, and requires more attention when being set-up. The Tama design requires a 22" head with a small collar. Years ago, many of the bass drum heads on the market had collars too large for the Tama gong bass drum design. The collars interfered with the tension rods. Today, most bass drum heads come with the smaller collar, so head choice is wide open. Also, when installing a head on the Tama, you have to constantly check to make sure the head stays centered, so it doesn't seat crookedly. Once the Tama is set up correctly, I think it sounds better than the standard gong bass drum design. I think it has a bigger, more resonant sound.

I'm not the only one who feels that way. Mike Mangini, while playing Pearl drums, insists on having a Tame-style gong bass drum in his Dream Theater set-up.

Name:  frontcloseleft2.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  behindkitbigdrums.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  132.1 KB

Name:  Mike-Mangini-Dream-Theater-Drum-set-3.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  377.6 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Registered User

I Made a custom gongbass because I noted different sound between a real gongbass and bass, gongbass Sound more like a gutural war sound and with more sustain. A single head bass sounds more Focus and have deep tone like a bass drum lol. Many drummers use gongbass Tama although they play other brands.
    WANTED ::: Tom Mapex ProM 8" Blue Ice ::: WANTED

9. th droids yerlookn4

i like the dw method 21 inch shell with a 22 inch head on a standard set of hoops ..if i was gonna make one out of a bass, i'd probably used a mapex bass drum ..
    on my pro m kit , the the bass shells seem to be slightly undersized which probably why theyre so resonant im fairly sure theyd be awesome gong toms ..lol
    also id probably use a bottom head but ,,id port it too taste

10. Registered User

The nice thing about uses a regular bass drum, is that you can use it as a floor bass drum if need be.

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyRay61 View Post
    The original gong bass drum, as far as I know, was introduced by Tama way back when. As you well know, it had a head that was 2" larger than its shell size that stretched over to resemble a tympani, which I'm assuming is a patented design. Aren't the ones we see now just single headed bass drums? Do they sound different than Tama's original? Anybody have any thoughts or insight? TIA.
    I agree. Tama’s design was really the true gong drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranjluv101 View Post
    I had a Tama Gong Bass. It didn't sound like a timpano. That would be hard to do since it wasn't made like one, aside from the way the head stretch over the BE. It sounds like a big, bassy concert tom.

Gimmick? Sure.

Do people feel like they need one, hence the company makes a profit? Absolutely.

Aside from Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, and Simon Phillips, there aren't many drummers who probably require in their setup. The only reason I had one was because Neil and Simon used one.
    Endorsements work.

12. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    The nice thing about uses a regular bass drum, is that you can use it as a floor bass drum if need be.

I never really thought about that, but it’s a very good point. I would imagine that a large center port or mesh head would give the sound of a single headed bass.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals