Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Registered User

Thanks. To be totally honest I don't know the answer if it's an Artstar Cordia or not. I picked it up in a mall music shop in Dallas, Texas. Somebody ordered it and never came back for it. Sales clerk didn't know any of the specs on it. It sat there for a year before I snagged it. I sent photos to TAMA and they had no idea what wood the shell and veneers are as they explained TAMA outsourced a few different types of shells. After it was refurbished several reputable sources identified the outer and inner veneers as most likely Cocobolo (or some other variant of Rosewood). This is the best it has ever looked!

2. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
    Thanks. To be totally honest I don't know the answer if it's an Artstar Cordia or not. I picked it up in a mall music shop in Dallas, Texas. Somebody ordered it and never came back for it. Sales clerk didn't know any of the specs on it. It sat there for a year before I snagged it. I sent photos to TAMA and they had no idea what wood the shell and veneers are as they explained TAMA outsourced a few different types of shells. After it was refurbished several reputable sources identified the outer and inner veneers as most likely Cocobolo (or some other variant of Rosewood). This is the best it has ever looked!
    Look familiar?

https://www.wood-database.com/bocote/
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Not sure that the Modulus of Rupture appears to be correct. Does the drum actually smell like dill pickles?

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    There is some similarity for inner and outer veneers to the Becote. But after sanding shell there was a mixture of reds and yellow. Black figuring is moderate and not as intense as the Becote photo in the Wood Database photo. The presence of red and yellow hues and moderate black figuring do point to the possibility of some sort of Rosewood.

This is the first solid lead I've had on what type of wood and model it might be. I'm still confused that TAMA didn't know and their response was that they outsourced different types of wood in different ply configurations.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    Not sure that the Modulus of Rupture appears to be correct. Does the drum actually smell like dill pickles?
    Absolutely no smell of "dill pickles" when sanding. I contacted a master carpenter friend and he said it is possible that some of the aromatic oils have diminished over the past 36 years.

6. Playing since 1976

There is some similarity for inner and outer veneers to the Becote. But after sanding shell there was a mixture of reds and yellow. Black figuring is moderate and not as intense as the Becote photo in the Wood Database photo. The presence of red and yellow hues and moderate black figuring do point to the possibility of some sort of Rosewood.

This is the first solid lead I've had on what type of wood and model it might be. I'm still confused that TAMA didn't know and their response was that they outsourced different types of wood in different ply configurations.
    Do you have the badge from the drum? That would help a lot. My guess is Artstar Cordia, like this set up. BTW, this pic is from the 1983 catalog.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 12.28.03 PM.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  90.4 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

7. Registered User

Do you have the badge from the drum? That would help a lot. My guess is Artstar Cordia, like this set up. BTW, this pic is from the 1983 catalog.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 12.28.03 PM.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  90.4 KB
    No badge on the drum shell likely because with it being a gong bass drum shell there is no need for a vent hole. The store had two TAMA gong drums, identical in finish, but one was 20" and the other was 22". Neither shell had a TAMA badge. Both had TAMA branded single ply clear drum heads. Definitely TAMA lugs, hoop and hardware.

8. Playing since 1976

No badge on the drum shell likely because with it being a gong bass drum shell there is no need for a vent hole. The store had two TAMA gong drums, identical in finish, but one was 20" and the other was 22". Neither shell had a TAMA badge. Both had TAMA branded single ply clear drum heads. Definitely TAMA lugs, hoop and hardware.
    The Artstar badge from back then didn't incorporate an air vent/grommet.

Name:  Tama-Artstar-Cordia-14-x-65-Snare-Drum-_1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  39.1 KB

I was going to say that Tama Gong Bass Drums were only ever offered in 14x20 size (with a 22" head), but then I found a 14x22 size (with a 24" head) offered in 1978... but I couldn't find it after that. So I really don't know what you have there.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

The Artstar badge from back then didn't incorporate an air vent/grommet.

Name:  Tama-Artstar-Cordia-14-x-65-Snare-Drum-_1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  39.1 KB

I was going to say that Tama Gong Bass Drums were only ever offered in 14x20 size (with a 22" head), but then I found a 14x22 size (with a 24" head) offered in 1978... but I couldn't find it after that. So I really don't know what you have there.
    The mystery continues. It's definitely TAMA. I remember seeing a 14" X 22" Gong Bass Drum the first time I walked into the store. I inquired how much it cost and the salesman said it was already spoken for, but that they had a 14" X 20" Gong Bass which is the one I purchased roughly a year later. Neither drum had a badge, but they both had identical finishes (exterior and interior).

So now I'm wondering if they were custom orders or possibly prototypes. They also had one TAMA roller stand for sale (ordered with the 20" gong drum but the customer backed out of the deal and never came to pick them up) which I didn't want.

I've looked closely at some old TAMA catalogs this afternoon and my shell definitely isn't the ArtStar Cordia nor is it the SuperStar Birch shell.

I reached out to Dale Vigent today (the painter). He also builds and finishes fine furniture and he said he was curious what type of wood
    it was. Three of his expert sources agreed it was some sort of Rosewood (exterior and interior veneers).

Now I'm really curious. If anybody has a clue about this please chime in. I would like to know what model they are and TAMA's role in production.

10. Drumming Since 1943

I’m sorry I cant help you in any way but I applaud your effort in finding any info out. I’m fairly fascinated by the history of Tama drums in a way I’m not about old Pearl drums.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. th droids yerlookn4

The mystery continues. It's definitely TAMA. I remember seeing a 14" X 22" Gong Bass Drum the first time I walked into the store. I inquired how much it cost and the salesman said it was already spoken for, but that they had a 14" X 20" Gong Bass which is the one I purchased roughly a year later. Neither drum had a badge, but they both had identical finishes (exterior and interior).

So now I'm wondering if they were custom orders or possibly prototypes. They also had one TAMA roller stand for sale (ordered with the 20" gong drum but the customer backed out of the deal and never came to pick them up) which I didn't want.

I've looked closely at some old TAMA catalogs this afternoon and my shell definitely isn't the ArtStar Cordia nor is it the SuperStar Birch shell.

I reached out to Dale Vigent today (the painter). He also builds and finishes fine furniture and he said he was curious what type of wood
    it was. Three of his expert sources agreed it was some sort of Rosewood (exterior and interior veneers).

Now I'm really curious. If anybody has a clue about this please chime in. I would like to know what model they are and TAMA's role in production.
    possible prototypes

back in the day, tama was experimenting alot with gong drums the reason the current drums correct name is gong BASS is because tame used to make gong TOMS as well.. there were in a variety of sizes like 10' to 16 etc. there was even tell of a gong snare at one point ...
    so for tama to use rosewood doesnt sound far fetched
    in fact, i thought they used to make rose wood kits ...it was around the same time they made cordia drums

i remember there was a tama rosewood snare my drum teacher used to talk about buying all the time ...