Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cymbalminded fool.

Default Long time no see, long time no drum! - Gretsch Renown Maple

Hi all! Thought it was time to check in for a change. I wanted to show off my new kit, it's been a long time coming, so here are a couple pics snapped quickly in rehearsals.

Back in 2017, the rehearsal studio my band was renting out burned down completely, and among most of the audio gear there, I lost my drums. As luck would have it, the roof had collapsed onto my hardware case and all of the stands made it out alive, and the cymbal bag was in an adjacent room that only suffered some smoke and water from the fire engines. Nobody was hurt in the incident.

Fast forward two years, and I'm now a proud owner of a Gretsch Renown Maple kit. The idea for one had been growing in my mind for a long time, and just last spring the company introduced such a finish in the line, I could no longer resist it.

The first two times the drums got shipped to me, the set arrived with a cracked bass drum. After sending the whole kit back once, toms and all, and following a very pleasant exchange with Dan from DW and Mario from GEWA music, they shipped a separate bass drum which arrived whole this time.

The kit is in 10x7" (not pictured), 12x8", 16x14" & 22x18". The snare pictured is Pearl's Steve Ferrone sig.

Enjoy!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Rodgers and Jordy!!

2016 PDF FFL Regular Season Champion 11-1 Record

Great looking kit Akahito! I have always loved that finish !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Snakes&Arrows View Post
    Great looking kit Akahito! I have always loved that finish !!!
    Agree with S&A's, that finish is sweet! Love how the bass drum is completely finished as well! Very nice!

4. A Passion Play ...

Sweet rig. Welcome back.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

5. Go Back To The 90s!

I remember you from years ago when I first joined. Welcome back and awesome kit! Love the finish!
    Check out the band: State Line Syndicate

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Looks like a lot of the old guard are coming back. I love the finish of your kit.

I’m sorry you lost your gear in a fire. I did as well but insurance covered it.

7. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Akahito View Post
    Hi all! Thought it was time to check in for a change. I wanted to show off my new kit, it's been a long time coming, so here are a couple pics snapped quickly in rehearsals.

Back in 2017, the rehearsal studio my band was renting out burned down completely, and among most of the audio gear there, I lost my drums. As luck would have it, the roof had collapsed onto my hardware case and all of the stands made it out alive, and the cymbal bag was in an adjacent room that only suffered some smoke and water from the fire engines. Nobody was hurt in the incident.

Fast forward two years, and I'm now a proud owner of a Gretsch Renown Maple kit. The idea for one had been growing in my mind for a long time, and just last spring the company introduced such a finish in the line, I could no longer resist it.

The first two times the drums got shipped to me, the set arrived with a cracked bass drum. After sending the whole kit back once, toms and all, and following a very pleasant exchange with Dan from DW and Mario from GEWA music, they shipped a separate bass drum which arrived whole this time.

The kit is in 10x7" (not pictured), 12x8", 16x14" & 22x18". The snare pictured is Pearl's Steve Ferrone sig.

Enjoy!!
    Beautiful finish. Gretsch makes some really nice equipment. I'm looking at one of their fine pieces now (other than your kit).
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

8. Registered User

Long time no see, Akahito! Welcome back! That is a very nice kit and a georgeous finish!

9. Cymbalminded fool.

Thanks for the kind words and welcomes, yall! Nice to see so many familiar names around still. This forum life really took a break for a while, it was a surprise my account was still active.

dale, insurance is a great thing to have. I'm glad you had your kit covered.

I'm super excited about this kit, they spoke to me years ago on a showroom floor and had been growing on my mind since. Now that they came out with this finish, I just couldn't. I had to. It was time.

The 302 hoops are a bit weird still, tuning on them is different than either diecasts or triple flanges, but it's getting there. Got some G1:s for the bottom waiting to be thrown on there. Does anyone here have experiences with the Aquarian Modern Vintage 2 or Deep Vintage 2 heads? They seem really interesting for low-ish tuning.

10. Unban nik12

Good to see you back around! I remember your orange sparkle Vision, you were one of the people who convinced me to get a Vision kit. Love the color of your Gretsch though.

The Modern Vintage 2 and Deep Vintage 2's are awesome heads. I have a 14x8 custom snare that has rounded 30° edges and I had a DV2 on it and it sounded great. Lasted forever too. I'm not normally a fan of coated heads but they sound really nice. I'd maybe opt for the MV2 though, the Deeps are cool but they are really dark and don't tune up really if you need them to. The Moderns are more akin to a standard 2 ply but they resonate really nicely at any range. If you don't plan on bringing them up at all, the Deeps are the way to go, they hold tuning really well at the low timings and give you just a little more of a solid feel. Post clips when you get a chance!
    My DW Performance Series Drums

Selling some gear, PM me for details
    13x6.5 Joey Jordison Signature Snare (with logos), Pork Pie throne, Pearl 900 series snare stand

11. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

That's a fantastic finish and Renowns are great drums too. Congrats on gettin' such a nice kit.

12. King of Pointlessness.

Nice to see you around, old friend from the hostile northern forested lands !

That's a pity what happened to the Visions. On the plus side, that made room for this gorgeous sparkly kit.

Are you still in that nice rock gibberish speaking band ? I still have your music carefully stored in my library, good stuff.
    - [ Paiste Cymbals, Sonor Drums, Pearl Hardware ] -

- [ Sonor SQ² 2015 ] - [ Old monster kit ] - [ My Pies ] - [ Custom ICON ] -

#Paiste on IRCNET