Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Masterworks snare order

Hey all, hopefully it's ok to post this here as opposed to the Masterworks thread, as the order hasn't been placed yet, and at this point I'm still formulating a plan.

I'm wanting to order a 8x14 Masterworks snare, the 20 ply shell. I love my Reference snare as is, but I want just a bit more depth to the sound, hence the 8 inch depth. I really don't want to vary from the sound of my 6.5 too much, I just want a bit more thunder out of my snare.

Now, here's where I'm stuck, and am looking for some advice or thoughts:
    1)gumwood.....add it into the mix to compensate for the lower fundamental tone brought on by the extra depth, adding extra volume (thinking of the description in the new catalog, "explosive projection and increased volume"), and should it be used as the inner-most plies? Would making the entire shell out of gumwood result in a snare that's even semi-desirable? Or should I just leave the shell composition exactly as a standard Reference snare? Has anyone ordered an 8x14 and found THE one shell composition that's just, well, the one? Would anyone recommend, based on personal experience, adding in another wood, or perhaps even going with the carbon or fiberglass?
    2)I'm really liking the black limba wood, and would like to have it be the outer and inner ply. Does anyone know if doing so on the inside of the drum will dramatically alter (or even not-so dramatically) the sound of the drum, and if so, how?

I've read through a considerable portion of the Masterworks forum, and I have seen quite a few of the 20 ply shells having been ordered, with some very different shell compositions, one from WAY back when being mostly mahogany. I'm hoping that those folks can give me real, first-hand knowledge on what they like about the sound they've gotten out of their personal mixes of woods, and if there's anything that they especially have found to be good, as well as if there's anything they'd do differently if they could do it again.

Lastly, is there on particular dealer that anyone would recommend going through to have this order placed? Any dealer I should avoid (other than Guitar Center)?

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance anyone may have, and sorry again if this should've been in the Masterworks forum from the get-go.

2. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

So, you:
    • Own a 14x6.5 reference snare
    • Don't want to vary from the sound of the 14x6.5 too much
    • Just want a bit more thunder out of the snare

How about heads and tuning to get that sound you want? Seems a more economical choice.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

| TAMA STARCLASSIC MAPLE | SABIAN & MEINL CYMBALS |

Former Pearl Customer

3. Registered User

Quite right to all, and I've tried just about every head combination I can think of. I have zero complaints about the sound of the drum, really, I'm just looking for more depth, while retaining all of the things I love about the one I have now.

4. Drumming Since 1943

Maybe it’s age or just perhaps a creeping cynicism as I get older but the more I pay attention to all this technical drum jumbo jumbo, i.e. plies, depth, shell construction, hoops (die cast vs. flanged)...etc, the more I think that none of this really matters all that much. I think it comes down to tuning and how you play the drum.

Just my $.02.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Registered User

If I was going to shell out the kind of coin that a Masterworks costs just for a deeper snare, I'd try a cheap deep snare first off fleabay or wherever, just to see what kind of tone it gives. Sure it won't be comparable to the reference you already have exactly, but it will be different in one crucial aspect. Then you can see what difference that one aspect gives.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

6. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Maybe it’s age or just perhaps a creeping cynicism as I get older but the more I pay attention to all this technical drum jumbo jumbo, i.e. plies, depth, shell construction, hoops (die cast vs. flanged)...etc, the more I think that none of this really matters all that much. I think it comes down to tuning and how you play the drum.

Just my $.02.
    It's amazing what even a marginally talented soundman along with a PA system can do for a kit.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

| TAMA STARCLASSIC MAPLE | SABIAN & MEINL CYMBALS |

Former Pearl Customer

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    If I was going to shell out the kind of coin that a Masterworks costs just for a deeper snare, I'd try a cheap deep snare first off fleabay or wherever, just to see what kind of tone it gives. Sure it won't be comparable to the reference you already have exactly, but it will be different in one crucial aspect. Then you can see what difference that one aspect gives.
    I've already got quite a few 8x14 snares; two Tama Gibraltar/heavy birch, a Starclassic G-maple, Ludwig Coliseum, and a stainless steel Ludwig 10x14 marching snare. Love them all, and the extra bite and growl that the extra depth gives.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Maybe itís age or just perhaps a creeping cynicism as I get older but the more I pay attention to all this technical drum jumbo jumbo, i.e. plies, depth, shell construction, hoops (die cast vs. flanged)...etc, the more I think that none of this really matters all that much. I think it comes down to tuning and how you play the drum.

Just my $.02.

You are correct, and I agree with you to a point. I do think that some of what some companies offer is nothing more than a gimmick and a way to separate us from our money for perceived benefits, but I also disagree in that you cannot make a thin-shelled drum sound like a Reference snare, even with the greatest level of skill in both playing and tuning. I do agree that the differences in hoops is slight, but it is there. The notion that a truly skilled drummer can make even the most line-level and generic kit sound amazing is absolutely true, as is the opposite, being that you give a terrible drummer the best equipment in the world, and theyíll still manage to make it all sound awful.

Iíll be honest that I am definitely enamorwd with the black linga veneer, and had I not seen it I wouldnít have ever even considered a Masterworks snare. Iíve got enough choices as is, and being that Iím no longer an active touring drummer like I was, at this point Iím just buying drums to have and play for nothing but fun. I will probably never get my moneyís worth out of any drum I already own, nor any that I will purchase from this point on, but still, gimme gimme gimme I want I want.

9. Registered User

I would love to see what a 20 ply version of the Session studio select would sound like. Especially in a 14x8!!