Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default good piccolo drum heads (batter/reso)

I ordered 2x piccolo snares both at the same price (this wasn't intenitional fyi.

The 1st was a steel Mapex Piccolo 13x3 or 3.5 depth snare. I kept the original Mapex
    Remo UV snare side head on It and swapped the batter for the Evans Black chrome batter.
    I was wondering if swapping the snares out to a 16 strand or 20 strand would hurt that bright sound
    It currently makes? I love the butt plate and the throw off is amazing. It feels like Mapex really put
    Some high quality lugs, rods, etc.. On this snare. I may just leave it as is since I've tuned it and really love the
    Evans Black cheome.

Snare #4 is a groove percussion 13x3.5... It's lug pattern replicates the OCPD off set lug pattern.
    I've delt with 14in snares, even 10" snares (the 10" was a 10x5 side snare) but I know id like to try
    Different heads. I've been told by a buddy whos been drumming since we were in middle school. (He went hip-hop
    And gospel. I went radio rock/hard rock (not metal) yet... Lol but he suggested Aquarian heads. I found a wonderful
    Reso head that has these cushion pieces for the part that has all the snare wire solder to lay on rather than the rim. The wires still make contact and it has great reviews. But finding a good head is the issue. I want a dry pop.. And I'm not afraid of mixing heads. But I had this 14x5 I wrapped in leather... But the new heads on and couldn't get a good tune. Ive tuned countless drums be it toms, bass drums, and snares. My drumdial has yet to let me down... Except for the 14in but then I put tamas Hi-Carbon snapy wires on and wow what a difference it made.... Should I just stick with heads on this groove percussion snare or get a nice set of snare wires? Pics of instruments below (I didn't take a picture of the 14in snare after I put it all back together.

So here's the reso head I was thinking of putting on the groove percussion... Or maybe the steel mapex..
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-02-20-07-58-41(1).jpg
Views: 52
Size:  33.5 KB

This is the groove percussion piccolo.. I had a voucher gift card for Amazon for $50. Then I went to Guitar center and found the Mapex on sale at the same price. I tried to cancel the order for this Groove snare but it wouldnt let me and if I wanted to return it is have to pay postage and a restocking fee. I'm somewhat lazy and we'll... You can never have to many snares.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-02-28-10-24-15(1).jpg
Size:  62.6 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-02-28-10-24-08(1).jpg
Views: 53
Size:  59.9 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-02-28-10-24-05(1).jpg
Size:  70.7 KB

So what do you suggest? I'll make another post showing the Mapex piccolo. I guess I'm just interested in seeing what options there are for snare heads and I'm trying something new with these Aquarian heads. That and possibly changing the snare wires. Ive been told its pointless to change snares on a piccolo because there's not much depth so any snare will work. But I also know that I put a set of Tama snares on a 14x5.5 and it made a WORLD of difference. I changed nothing except the wires and I was so impressed with how it changed from a rattling snare with terrible ring to a precise snare sound that sounded amazing.

2. Registered User

Heres the Mapex snare
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-02-28-10-24-45(1).jpg
Views: 50
Size:  55.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-02-28-10-24-48(1).jpg
Size:  72.0 KB

Heres the 14in tama wires with the new head thats going on the leather wrapped 14x5.5 snare
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-02-28-10-25-22(1).jpg
Views: 51
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2019-02-28-10-25-34(1).jpg
Size:  49.3 KB

It should be noted the 14x5.5 is the original snare for the Mapex V Series only I wrapped it in the leather
    Vinyal I had intended on wrapping my entire kit with... I'll say this, the material is thick and much more difficult to cut through. Plus I had to put glue both on my snares shell (had to sand, prep, and sand some more before being able to wrap the snare. I was happy it was only 5.5inches deep lol... Once I finish prepping the inside I'll show pictures both before and after. Maybe instead of trying to make another piccolo I should just get some good throw offs for this little 14in leather wrap.

3. NO KIT TOO BIG

As far as head choices on my 13" Pearl Maple shell, i've got it with an Evans Frosted EC2 Reverse dot (same as the one in your pic above) over a Hazy 300 snare side head, 13" stock pearl wires and it sounds immense. Enough weight in the batter head to dry the drum up a little and take away some overtones, but still lets it sing. Never used aquarian heads myself for any period of time, they came stock on a Natal Snare I got and were nothing to shout about, needless to say they were soon switched out for an Evans UV1 and Hazy 300. One head I would like to try on the piccolo is a Remo Fiberskyn or Evans Calftone, a nod to the piccolo snares of the 50's and early 60's, I think it would sound really nice, but haven't given it a go because i'm more than happy with the current head combination.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. Registered User

Thanks for the calfskin tip.. Thus far I've re-wraped every shell ive gotten. If I go calfskin look I'll need to spray the hoops and hardware with that rustic look spray paint to match the theme. I'll check Remo and Evans on those lines. Thanks bud