Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default cleaning cymbals

since i have invested alot into my Zildjian A Series of cymbals i wanted to make sure i take care of them to give me long lasting life. i looked up how to clean them and according to Zildjian im supposed to use a dry cloth on traditional finish cymbals and NOT any type of polish. i tried that and cannot get some of the finger prints off. anyone else with this line of cymbals how do you clean them?
    Pearl Vision Concord Fade fusion 10, 12, 14, toms 20 kick 14 snare. Zildjian A series cymbals

PDP Encore Ruby Red 12, 16, toms 22 kick 14 snare Paiste PST-7 cymbals

Pearl Decade Black Ice 10, 12, 16, toms 22 kick 14 snare (unopened)

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by broken_sticks84 View Post
    since i have invested alot into my Zildjian A Series of cymbals i wanted to make sure i take care of them to give me long lasting life. i looked up how to clean them and according to Zildjian im supposed to use a dry cloth on traditional finish cymbals and NOT any type of polish. i tried that and cannot get some of the finger prints off. anyone else with this line of cymbals how do you clean them?
    I use Groove Juice Cymbal and Hardware Cleaner it is very simple to use and It Will NOT take off your logos

Simply, Spray on,wait 20-30 secs then wipe the cymbal in a circular motion then lastly rinse off with warm water and dry with microfiber rag. 10.00 a bottle, Guitar Center sells it or your local music store
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x18 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio Monitors

3. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by DrumPlayerFTW View Post
    I use Groove Juice Cymbal and Hardware Cleaner it is very simple to use and It Will NOT take off your logos

Simply, Spray on,wait 20-30 secs then wipe the cymbal in a circular motion then lastly rinse off with warm water and dry with microfiber rag. 10.00 a bottle, Guitar Center sells it or your local music store
    Groove juice definitely takes tarnish off of cymbals quickly, but I have found it to be tough on the logos. D4L turned me onto kick n brass cymbal cleaner. I bought two bottles, but have yet to use it on my new K’s. It’s supposed to be logo friendly and the cymbals require no rinsing. Check out their web site.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Groove juice definitely takes tarnish off of cymbals quickly, but I have found it to be tough on the logos. D4L turned me onto kick n brass cymbal cleaner. I bought two bottles, but have yet to use it on my new K’s. It’s supposed to be logo friendly and the cymbals require no rinsing. Check out their web site.
    That's interesting you say that quicksticks about groove juice cause I been using it for about 2 years and it has never eaten any of my logos off. But Zildjian Cymbal Cleaner paste did eat my logos off both of my hihats and part of my Ride A logo
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x18 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio Monitors

5. th droids yerlookn4

god, would love some original zildjian cymbal paste. man that was some powerful polish ... even back in the day though ..the instructions on the paste plainly said, dont use the paste on the logos

today we only have cymbal cream from zildjian it comes in a bottle and it should be called weak sauce instead ..lol
    groove juice is, just awful the crap turned my one A brilliant splash orange ..lol personal , note .. rinse your cymbal off IMMEDIATELY! lol thats the only thing i did different

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    groove juice is, just awful the crap turned my one A brilliant splash orange ..lol personal , note .. rinse your cymbal off IMMEDIATELY! lol thats the only thing i did different
    I've always used Groove Juice and haven't had any problems. However, I do rinse it off right away and dry the cymbals.

The biggest problem with the Groove Juice is that the spray mechanism on the bottles stops working if you let the product sit around too long between uses.

MM
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DrumPlayerFTW View Post
    I agree. I've never had any issues with Groove Juice on any of my Zildjian cymbals (or logos).
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

8. Cymbalminded fool.

Last time I cleaned cymbals I used sodium carbonate and vinegar. It got rid of all fingerprints and most stick marks, and didn't do anything to the logos. It didn't polish them, and some tougher patina on older cymbals also didn't come off.

Just powder the area you want to clean with sodium carbonate and spray vinegar on it with a spray bottle, and let it sizzle for a few seconds. Then just rub along the lathing grooves with a non-abrasive sponge or cloth.
    Last edited by Akahito; 03-01-2019 at 06:21 AM.

9. th droids yerlookn4

i wanna try out that music nomad polish i hear great things but my store keeps dragging its feet on ordering it ,
    aaand that why all my business is usually on the internet lol

10. KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    i wanna try out that music nomad polish i hear great things but my store keeps dragging its feet on ordering it ,
    aaand that why all my business is usually on the internet lol
    I use the Music Nomad drum cleaner/polish and it works very well. I tried the cymbal cleaner too. It turned my cymbals orange. In the garbage it went. Never again.

I have great luck with the Sabian cleaner. Last time I tried an 8 inch buffer and it worked great. It made the whole process quicker and easier. It did not remove the logos but I was careful with them.
    Drum Workshop 6 Piece Collectors Series in Ruby Glass
    Various Snares
    Trick Pro 1V Double Pedal Black Widow Edition
    Motion Pro Throne

Roland TD 50 KV
    Trick Pro 1V Double Pedal Black Widow Edition
    Ahead Spinal Glide Throne

11. This is just a tribute

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this, but I use Barkeeper's Friend - either the liquid or the powder with a plain wet sponge - no need for a scrubby sponge. BE CAREFUL around logos though. I find that this does a great job of cleaning cymbals, and as long as you don't scrub hard over logos, it doesn't really bother them. It does a great job on everything - fingerprints certainly, but it also handles really tough patina.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

12. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this, but I use Barkeeper's Friend - either the liquid or the powder with a plain wet sponge - no need for a scrubby sponge. BE CAREFUL around logos though. I find that this does a great job of cleaning cymbals, and as long as you don't scrub hard over logos, it doesn't really bother them. It does a great job on everything - fingerprints certainly, but it also handles really tough patina.
    I don't think BKF is a bad option at all, if you're happy with the results. I'd be concerned with using it on brilliant finish cymbals, as it might start to dull them over years of cleaning, but it is supposed to be non-abrasive. I'm surprised it bothers the logos. The painted logos are inconsistent. I've had cymbals in the past where a logo wipes off clean, in one pass... swoop... gone. Then I've had other cymbals where the logos fight coming off, even with acetone. It just depends on how well the logo ink/paint adhered.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE