Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

I had classical music lessons as a kid - guitar, piano then moved into percussion, got a scholarship to the Royal College of Music and spent every Saturday in my teens up in London (UK). Picked up the drums during that time and never had any kit lessons which is kind of bizarre. I'm now in my 50s and a couple of years back thought it would be good to start lessons and sort out my drumming style. The lessons have done two things (i) provided another opinion on where my weaknesses are (everywhere) and guidance on how to improve (ii) provides a regular hour every fortnight when I can play on the kit, call it practice time which is short in a busy life.

Its done wonders to my playing. A month ago I decided to totally change my "grip" as that is definitely a limiting factor. Undoing 40 years of gripping a stick tight is hard, it seems I have great wrist action but zero finger action, this is going to change.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

2. Registered User

Every week. It's great learning by yourself but there is something about learning the little and big things from someone with a ton of experience. My progress has been insane learning during private lessons. I just added Drumeo in the mix too and have been doing extracurricular learning on my own outside of what I do at lessons. It's great and I'm always learning new stuff.
    Session Studio Select - Antique Crimson Burst
    Sabian - B8 (next upgrade)
    Vater - Los Angeles 5A
    Aquarian Drum Heads
    Currently learning from Rick Stojak

3. Registered User

I really want to take some lessons from players I admire. I started off teaching myself, mostly from playing along with records, then playing with others, and watching VHS tapes. Then I took some private lessons in the 90s, with the head of the percussion department at my local college, which focused on reading and rudimentary snare playing. I also got to take some lessons with the great Joe Franco (double bass legend). I have been using Stick Control, New Breed, and Syncopation for years, but nothing beats a real good hands on teacher.

I have been giving lessons to others for 25 years now, and I play out at least 5 nights a week, but I would love to find the time to study with a new teacher.

4. Registered User

Hola Dot Comrades.

I am 59 years old and l started playing when l was 35. My approach to drumming was always to just play and improve. Over the years, l never really felt like l was improving so l would buy more stuff hoping that l could find inspiration through accent gadget, or cymbal related wankery.

After joining my band 4 years ago, my playing really has improved, but what l consider my greatest improvement comes from an increase in my fitness level. Long story short, l was just a big lump of a human with a couple of age and neglect related ailments which pretty much sucked the joy out of a lot of my day to day. It really affected my playing because l could only play for so long before my tired grumpiness would kick in, followed by train wrecks and other mental mistake suckery. Getting in better shape, losing weight, and increasing my activity level helps me to jam for 3 or 4 hours and not feel wiped in a bad way. It also gives me enough gas to manage all of the stress and running around related to gig night. I also bought a used electric drum kit, which l use for exercise. I sit with the headphones on and pound the pads while wearing wrist and ankle weights. I don't play them for musicality, l pound those pads with all the force l can muster for as long as l can keep it smooth and stable. I was at a Tommy Aldridge clinic some years ago, and l remember him extolling the health and therapeutic effects of the bicycle. He was right.

I would like to find an instructor who could help me structure my practice regimen into something that does improve my musicality.

So l guess the short answer to your post would be,"not yet, but l am going to get right on it".

Barry
    A Punchline is a terible thing to waste.

5. Registered User

Great responses everyone thanks for participating. I'm still waiting to hear from the teacher I reached out and I'm going to send another message. If I don't hear back soon I'll broaden my search.

In the meantime, I've been enjoying shedding these classic funk and r&b grooves thanks to this little site.
    http://funklet.com

It's cool to see where my aural interpretations of these grooves line up with the actual transcriptions. I've always had the basic ideas right but seeing what little nuances I may have missed here and there and then playing them, "the right way", has been a bunch of fun. In some cases, it's led me to new ways of approaching certain extremely familiar feels. In turn, following the notated grooves aided in some added 4 way independence, that didnt feel as natural before seeing and incorporating the transcitpions. Hope some others can benefit from the link too.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    I took a one-off drum lesson with Steve Hass when he was in Toronto two years ago. It was a lot of fun... I did realize if I'm going to study with someone again, it should be at least for a 4 or 5 lessons. Steve was great, lots of great advice and information, but I think I'd benefit more from developing some concepts over time.

Three years ago, I took a one-off lesson with Dom Famularo. I did it because it was convenient - he was doing a clinic at the studio I was teaching at. It was a terrible lesson.

I'd love to go to New York for a couple weeks and try to get lessons with, well, everyone while I'm there ha ha.
    Exactly what I'm interested in hearing about.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.