Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default When was the last time you sought out an instructor?

I've been playing since my early teens but didn't bother to take any formal lessons until my mid 20s. That year or so, was hugely beneficial in my development as a player and I learned very basic music theory and developed the ability to read (not that well) as a result of those lessons. Those skills have proven to be very much worth the effort. Fast forward several years and I'm now currently seeking out a new private instructor. There are more than enough resources online and I have plenty to study on my own but sitting down with a highly skilled instructor, presents benefits that those other avenues don't offer. I've only reached out to 1 person so far and they're a very busy touring and session player, so we'll see where that inquiry goes...So, anyone else recently returning to private instruction after a long time away from lessons? How did it go? I'm really only looking to study with top tier guys as I have plenty of very good instructors nearby, I'm looking for the top BEST guys and will travel to get to them. I'm not above the local instructors at all but want to do something special if you will. We all prioritize and spend so much time and money on gear, that perhaps we forget, that spending money on a good instructor is probably a better investment.
    Last edited by j kuhl; 02-22-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

2. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    We all prioritize and spend so much time and money on gear, that perhaps we forget, that spending money on a good instructor is probably a better investment.
    ... or at least another investment worth considering. I hope you find your new lessons to be fruitful and transformational.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    ... or at least another investment worth considering. I hope you find your new lessons to be fruitful and transformational.
    I'm as much a gear head as the next guy, but can't help but think that a few acquisitions here and there would have been more beneficial to me as a player had they manifested into a few private study sessions instead. In short, you know I like gear hahaha.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by j kuhl View Post
    I'm as much a gear head as the next guy, but can't help but think that a few acquisitions here and there would have been more beneficial to me as a player had they manifested into a few private study sessions instead. In short, you know I like gear hahaha.
    Absolutely.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. It's all about me...

I didn't have my first formal lesson until I was 35 - and spent a year with an instructor who stripped me back to basics and built me up from there....I still suck but I suck less and look like I know what I'm doing at least.... :P

Never to late to get an instructor - even if it's just for a short period of time....

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    I didn't have my first formal lesson until I was 35 - and spent a year with an instructor who stripped me back to basics and built me up from there....I still suck but I suck less and look like I know what I'm doing at least.... :P

Never to late to get an instructor - even if it's just for a short period of time....
    What’s an “instructor”?
    Way Too Much Crap

7. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    What’s an “instructor”?
    ...some dude that can play drums better than me who likes to try and help me play drums better than I do....?

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

8. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    ...some dude that can play drums better than me who likes to try and help me play drums better than I do....?
    Ah... kind of like “stuff”.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Ah... kind of like “stuff”.
    Loosely in a loose kinda way....

Kit Pix

10. Now With More "Whiz"

Most sage advice I ever got from an instructor:

"If you make a mistake while playing live, just repeat it two more times and people will think you meant to play it that way."

11. Miles Gibbons

I took a one-off drum lesson with Steve Hass when he was in Toronto two years ago. It was a lot of fun... I did realize if I'm going to study with someone again, it should be at least for a 4 or 5 lessons. Steve was great, lots of great advice and information, but I think I'd benefit more from developing some concepts over time.

Three years ago, I took a one-off lesson with Dom Famularo. I did it because it was convenient - he was doing a clinic at the studio I was teaching at. It was a terrible lesson.

I'd love to go to New York for a couple weeks and try to get lessons with, well, everyone while I'm there ha ha.

12. Registered User

I'm in my mid-forties. Began with lessons in the fifth grade and played in all of the bands in elementary. junior high and high school (yes, including marching band). Played in a few bands (one for a very long time/heavy gigging) in my teens/early 20s. Stopped for about 20 years and now I'm back. My left hand sucks. My right foot is terrible. I'm beginning to really consider seeking out some lessons to sharpen my rudiments and other basics.