Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Empowered Individual

Default Cutting down a cracked cymbal

Anybody ever done this? Is it worth it?

Iíve got an 18Ē HHX Evo that has a 1/4Ē crack on the edge. I wanted to sell it since iím replacing it with a 19Ē version🤘. Iím just not sure if it would sell, or if I should cut it down to a 17. Would it be worth more cut down??

2. Registered User

Name:  Screenshot_20190220-170901_Photos.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  19.3 KB

Take some wd40 and spray a light coating on the area of the crack. Then sprinkle some flour on the area and lightly bang the edge of the cymbal so the flour sets into the crack, then wipe the wd40 off the cymbal. Then take a flashlight and illuminate the area from the opposite side. This should clearly show where the crack starts and ends. Once you've determined these end points, gather a drill and dremel tool. Find the end of the crack and drill a hole about 1/16" away from the end of the crack. Then take your dremel and route the crack all the way through and into the hole you drilled effectively joining the crack and the drill hole. If you correctly find the end of the crack, this method will prevent it from spreading any further. I repaired the cymbal above in 2011 and the crack has not moved a little. This method works like a charm.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

3. Empowered Individual

That’s interesting, i’ve never seen that done before! I’m not planning on keeping the cymbal so I don’t know if repairing it or cutting it down would be a better way to go. I just remeasured the crack and it’s just over a 1/2”!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    Thatís interesting, iíve never seen that done before! Iím not planning on keeping the cymbal so I donít know if repairing it or cutting it down would be a better way to go. I just remeasured the crack and itís just over a 1/2Ē!!!
    I have a 14" Paiste 602 Pre serial number crash that started life as a 16". It was a "throw in" with a kit I bought and had a small edge crack. I sent it to Saluda cymbals in SC and they did a fantastic job of cutting it down. The cymbal sounds fantastic and I've got it in my main kit. I highly recommend them for cymbal repair.

5. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    That’s interesting, i’ve never seen that done before! I’m not planning on keeping the cymbal so I don’t know if repairing it or cutting it down would be a better way to go. I just remeasured the crack and it’s just over a 1/2”!!!
    I wouldn't cut that down the whole way round. You're easily liking at taking an inch off (to allow for the extent of the crack you can't see) and the new edge will be too thick.I would cut that section out like so;

Easily done with an angle grinder or dremel tool - chop it out, smooth the cut down, sand to finish. Had a 17" A, which must be a good 30 years old, with a cut like this for about 10 years I think - been good as gold. The sound barely changes from stock, compared to reducing the diameter an inch or so, which can make it shrill or gongy

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    ďAfter silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.Ē
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

6. Registered User

This little accent cymbal is the busted Rude in the upper left in the group shot. The 2nd one is the Z in the lower left that is a little smaller than the Rude and sounds similar, just a lower pitch. I just used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel (very carefully) after marking them out with a scribe. Probably took less than a hour for each. They don't sound like splashes, more like chimes, but not bad. I am two for three with them sounding decent. The Z with the big bell under the Rude was the biggest of the three and sounds very gong-ish.

I tried drilling out the end of the crack and separating the broken edges several times, but they always spider webbed off the hole into multiple cracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by K Chez; 03-05-2019 at 05:55 PM.

7. Empowered Individual

Quote Originally Posted by Lennytoons View Post
    I have a 14" Paiste 602 Pre serial number crash that started life as a 16". It was a "throw in" with a kit I bought and had a small edge crack. I sent it to Saluda cymbals in SC and they did a fantastic job of cutting it down. The cymbal sounds fantastic and I've got it in my main kit. I highly recommend them for cymbal repair.
    I thought about something like this before I decided to sell the cymbal. Something like this would be very cost effective especially with more expensive cymbals.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I wouldn't cut that down the whole way round. You're easily liking at taking an inch off (to allow for the extent of the crack you can't see) and the new edge will be too thick.I would cut that section out like so;

Easily done with an angle grinder or dremel tool - chop it out, smooth the cut down, sand to finish. Had a 17" A, which must be a good 30 years old, with a cut like this for about 10 years I think - been good as gold. The sound barely changes from stock, compared to reducing the diameter an inch or so, which can make it shrill or gongy
    My ocd would be seriously put to the test....

Quote Originally Posted by K Chez View Post
    This little accent cymbal is the busted Rude in the upper left in the group shot. The 2nd one is the Z in the lower left that is a little smaller than the Rude and sounds similar, just a lower pitch. I just used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel (very carefully) after marking them out with a scribe. Probably took less than a hour for each. They don't sound like splashes, more like chimes, but not bad. I am two for three with them sounding decent. The Z with the big bell under the Rude was the biggest of the three and sounds very gong-ish.

I tried drilling out the end of the crack and separating the broken edges several times, but they always spider webbed off the hole into multiple cracks.
    I thought about cutting it down to something similar but larger and with some large holes cut in similar to an ozone effects cymbal. Thatís quite a collection you have there....

I have the cymbal up for sale now and looks like it will sell.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by K Chez View Post

Wow, so I have a DeWalt angle grinder.... Could you please explain the process a bit for me? Like what did you mount the cymbal on while cutting? How did you guide the grinder? Stuff like that. Is it spark city? TIA