Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ADman2B View Post
    Pearl 14x7 Masterworks Snare Drum in Purple Marbleized Finish with Gold Hardware
    This drum was custom ordered in 2019. It has a 4-Ply (5mm) birch shell with reinforcement rings. The hardware is all gold plated including Fat Tone hoops, STL150 split tube lugs, and SR150 click lock throw-off.
    Not my taste in color or pattern, but I especially like the gold "Fat Tone" hoops.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. Registered User

I get that it's not for everyone, but I love the looks of that drum. The purple/gold is very "regal" and while I don't really like the new MW graphics, the marbleized finish is very intriguing to me. It is also the only thin shell birch drum that I have.

3. Registered User

I get that it's not for everyone, but I love the looks of that drum. The purple/gold is very "regal" and while I don't really like the new MW graphics, the marbleized finish is very intriguing to me. It is also the only thin shell birch drum that I have.
    I saw another drum with the "marbelized" finish. Is that becoming something new with Masterworks (like the halo flakes used to be)z/
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    I saw another drum with the "marbelized" finish. Is that becoming something new with Masterworks (like the halo flakes used to be)z/
    We've done the Marbelized finish on Masterworks since the mid-2000's.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

KISS uses Gibson guitars and PEARL drums because they want the Best!

5. Registered User

This type of marbleized finish has been around for decades. It was first used in the custom car and bike scene.

Iíve done this type of finish before and it is time consuming and tedious but well worth it. Pictures really donít do it justice. Iíve got some House of kolor marbleizer base so I might have to do up a snare after seeing these pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TWH; 06-26-2019 at 09:08 PM.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    This type of marbleized finish has been around for decades. It was first used in the custom car and bike scene.

I’ve done this type of finish before and it is time consuming and tedious but well worth it. Pictures really don’t do it justice. I’ve got some House of kolor marbleizer base so I might have to do up a snare after seeing these pics....
    I've had so many people ask me about how the marbleize process works and I have no clue; I just think it looks cool. Can you give the "Explain Like I'm 5" version?

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

GMS did a similar finish. It was created by them painting the drums the way they usually would and then place plastic wrap on it with various wrinkles. They would then slowly peel it off after a period of time. I can’t find a picture of it.

8. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    GMS did a similar finish. It was created by them painting the drums the way they usually would and then place plastic wrap on it with various wrinkles. They would then slowly peel it off after a period of time. I can’t find a picture of it.
    We have a similar process for the Marbleized finish process, Crazer is one of the product names the basic process using the typical paint base-coat application, apply Crazer or other product type to the surface then immediately use cling wrap for the different texturing choices to produce the desired effect. Let dry and then apply typical topcoat with poly-urethane clear coat over the finish. I don't know the exact precise process but it is something along these lines that most manufacture uses.

9. Registered User

I've had so many people ask me about how the marbleize process works and I have no clue; I just think it looks cool. Can you give the "Explain Like I'm 5" version?
    The most common method is Saran Wrap. A base color is laid down first (usually black). The marbleizer is then laid down over the base coat and allowed to flash for 8 to 10 minutes. The plastic is laid on very loosely and patted down to produce a “wrinkle or marble effect”. The wrap is then removed and the piece can either be top (clear) coated, or a candy color can be put on top to get a more custom effect. The marbleizer comes in a few different colors and even clear so you can come up with your own custom creations using different pearls, flakes and candys which is what I like to do.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube showing how this is done.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    We have a similar process for the Marbleized finish process, Crazer is one of the product names the basic process using the typical paint base-coat application, apply Crazer or other product type to the surface then immediately use cling wrap for the different texturing choices to produce the desired effect. Let dry and then apply typical topcoat with poly-urethane clear coat over the finish. I don't know the exact precise process but it is something along these lines that most manufacture uses.

I always thought you guys used House of kolor......

11. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    I always thought you guys used House of kolor......
    We do use HOK but not limited to.

12. Registered User

Interesting stuff. Thanks guys!