Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ADman2B View Post
    Pearl M1470S103 14x7 Limited Edition Snare Drum in Piano Black Finish

This drum was the October 2008 snare club drum. It has a 6-ply (7.5mm) maple shell with Superhoops, split spiked tube lugs, and an SR017 throw-off. This is the only drum that Pearl has produced that I am aware of with the split spiked tube lugs.
    That was a cool snare due to the unique lugs.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Superhoops are Pearl 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops.

S-Hoops are a different product. I have heard of them but don't have any personal experience. Here is some info from Big Bang who distributes S-Hoops: https://bigbangdist.com/shoop.htm
    Thank you

3. Registered User

Default Pearl HEP1450 14x5 Hybrid Exotic Vectorcast Snare Drum

Pearl HEP1450 14x5 Hybrid Exotic Vectorcast Snare Drum

Name:  HEP1450.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  54.6 KB

This drum was released in 2014 as part of the Hybrid Exotic series. According to Pearl web page the Vectorcast drum is made of "a composite material filament and resin thread... formed around a mandrel in an X-pattern." I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it's a pretty unique shell. The hardware includes Superhoops, STL100 lugs with Spin-Tight tension rods, and an SR1000 Glide-Lock throw-off.

4. Registered User

Default Pearl MMX1465S/C102 14x6.5 Masters Custom MMX Snare Drum in Natural Maple Finish

Pearl MMX1465S/C102 14x6.5 Masters Custom MMX Snare Drum in Natural Maple Finish

Name:  MMX1465SC102.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  56.6 KB

The MMX series was available from 1993-2006. In 1999 the MMX series started coming with Mastercast hoops instead of Superhoops. This drum has a 4-ply (5mm) Maple shell with Maple reinforcement rings along with Mastercast hoops, CL65 lugs, and an SR015 throw-off.

5. Registered User

Default Pearl B6514CL 14x5.5 Sensitone Classic Brass Snare Drum

Pearl B6514CL 14x5.5 Sensitone Classic Brass Snare Drum

Name:  B6514CL.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  56.6 KB

This drum was available from 1997-1999. It has a brass shell with single-flanged hoops and die cast claws along with TB55 tube lugs and an SR017 throw-off. I also have the 6.5" version.

6. Registered User

Pearl B6514CL 14x5.5 Sensitone Classic Brass Snare Drum
    This drum was available from 1997-1999. It has a brass shell with single-flanged hoops and die cast claws along with TB55 tube lugs and an SR017 throw-off. I also have the 6.5" version.
    I have both sizes of these drums in perfect condition.

I wish Pearl wouldn't have discontinued this natural brass finish when they reissued the Sensitone series with different badges.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 05-16-2019 at 12:59 PM.

7. Registered User

Yeah, I like the natural brass and black brass versions and have several of each, but I would really like to get one of the newer patina brass Sensitones...and the phosphor bronze for that matter. I just haven't found them at a price I wanted to pay yet. The Sensitone series always had great, reasonably priced drums. The price of some of the current ones is a bit jarring.

8. Registered User

Yeah, I like the natural brass and black brass versions and have several of each, but I would really like to get one of the newer patina brass Sensitones...and the phosphor bronze for that matter. I just haven't found them at a price I wanted to pay yet. The Sensitone series always had great, reasonably priced drums. The price of some of the current ones is a bit jarring.
    I have all of those.

I think the patina brass version looks the best. However, I've been into matte finishes lately, so that may be why I prefer that one. My least favorite is the Black Nickel version (even through I have those in 13x7, 14x5, and 14x6.5 sizes).

The best place to get the Pearl snares is on Cascio Interstate when they have a 25% off sale. Get on their email list for promotions.

MM

9. Registered User

Default Pearl MPS1465S/C470 14x6.5 Limited Edition Artisan II Snare Drum with Burl Chestnut F

Pearl MPS1465S/C470 14x6.5 Limited Edition Artisan II Snare Drum with Burl Chestnut Fade Covering

Name:  MPS1465SC470.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  59.3 KB

This was released as the December 2010 Snare Club drum. There were several similar drums released from 2010-2012 with different Artisan II coverings.

This drum is a 2-Ply Maple, 4-Ply Poplar (7.5mm total) shell. It has CL65 lugs, SR017 throw-off, and RIM1408 hoops.

10. Registered User

Pearl MPS1465S/C470 14x6.5 Limited Edition Artisan II Snare Drum with Burl Chestnut Fade Covering

This was released as the December 2010 Snare Club drum. There were several similar drums released from 2010-2012 with different Artisan II coverings.

This drum is a 2-Ply Maple, 4-Ply Poplar (7.5mm total) shell. It has CL65 lugs, SR017 throw-off, and RIM1408 hoops.
    I'm surprised they went 8-lugs and 1.6mm hoops. It must have been to keep the "Snare Drum Club" edition cheaper.

I think they should do this kind of promotion again using the various wraps available from Music City Custom.

11. Registered User

Prior to 2010, the snare club drums were mostly really cool, unique, high-end drums. During the "Artisan II" years, the VBA series had just come out which was an addition to the Vision series that had mixed ply (birch/poplar) shells with inexpensive hardware to fit the midline series with the Artisan II wraps in several different colors. At around the same time, the Artisan II lacquers were coming out in the Masters MCX/BCX lines which used a different process of lacquering to give the appearance of exotic outer plies without the cost. While all of these drums looked really sharp for the price point, they always felt... fake--probably because they were.

When the 2010 snare club came around, I had been purchasing all of the snare club drums for several years, so I continued even though I felt the quality of the drums didn't match most of the rest of my collection. In 2011, again the snare club drums were pretty much all cheap, Artisan II wrapped drums and I continued to buy them for the sake of fulfilling my collection. In 2012, there were a couple non-Artisan II drums and some of the ones that were Artisan II were of the lacquered variety, although still with cheap shells and hardware. I decided not to participate in the snare club in 2012 due to the numerous cheap drums that came in the last couple years. I didn't need a similar batch of the same.

I have mixed feelings about the snare club drums during these years. Part of me feels like they are a bit of a stain on my collection, and I wish they didn't exist or that I no longer had them. I'm always a little uncomfortable when I post them here because other than the fact that each individual one is relatively limited, as a whole, they are just cheap drums that I really have little interest in. I have sold a few of them over the years to buddies who wanted a nice looking, inexpensive snare drum, which these certainly are.

I think these were always about hitting price points rather than making great drums. It makes sense to me when put in historical perspective, especially considering the larger economical realities of those years as well. Still, I too wish more was done with these drums to make them feel less "cheap."

12. Registered User

Prior to 2010, the snare club drums were mostly really cool, unique, high-end drums. During the "Artisan II" years, the VBA series had just come out which was an addition to the Vision series that had mixed ply (birch/poplar) shells with inexpensive hardware to fit the midline series with the Artisan II wraps in several different colors. At around the same time, the Artisan II lacquers were coming out in the Masters MCX/BCX lines which used a different process of lacquering to give the appearance of exotic outer plies without the cost. While all of these drums looked really sharp for the price point, they always felt... fake--probably because they were.

When the 2010 snare club came around, I had been purchasing all of the snare club drums for several years, so I continued even though I felt the quality of the drums didn't match most of the rest of my collection. In 2011, again the snare club drums were pretty much all cheap, Artisan II wrapped drums and I continued to buy them for the sake of fulfilling my collection. In 2012, there were a couple non-Artisan II drums and some of the ones that were Artisan II were of the lacquered variety, although still with cheap shells and hardware. I decided not to participate in the snare club in 2012 due to the numerous cheap drums that came in the last couple years. I didn't need a similar batch of the same.

I have mixed feelings about the snare club drums during these years. Part of me feels like they are a bit of a stain on my collection, and I wish they didn't exist or that I no longer had them. I'm always a little uncomfortable when I post them here because other than the fact that each individual one is relatively limited, as a whole, they are just cheap drums that I really have little interest in. I have sold a few of them over the years to buddies who wanted a nice looking, inexpensive snare drum, which these certainly are.

I think these were always about hitting price points rather than making great drums. It makes sense to me when put in historical perspective, especially considering the larger economical realities of those years as well. Still, I too wish more was done with these drums to make them feel less "cheap."
    Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm one of those "picky" people who tends to take pride in owning high end lacquer finish drums. I've tried occasionally buying a wrapped finish, but I discovered that I just don't think of them the same way. Thus, I don't have any in my collection any longer.

I tend to go Masterworks for everything now, or else I build my own custom "Pearl" snares using unique shells with Pearl hardware and specifications. During the past year, I've been getting cast bell bronze shells custom made in numerous different sizes and making my own "Pearl" series.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 05-17-2019 at 06:46 PM.