Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. GM Rod

Quote Originally Posted by OfXaos View Post
    I'm guessing your not going to re-wrap the bass? You just wanted to remove the tom mounting bracket?

I know they have plates you can order or if your going to re-wrap your shell as I did... I used wood filler and a wood putty type of goo.

Attachment 512986

A picture from the inside of the bass drum.. Showing the chips done around the holes and such...

Attachment 512987

This is what I used... There is much better stuff to match the color of your wood if you go to Home Depot or Lowe's

QAttachment 512988

That was after I filled the tom mount holes... Lots of sanding once the wood pity cured and it was rock solid. I used the yellow tube for dents and dings. It was easy to go over with a high grit sanding. Or you can go the route below...

Attachment 512989
    I didn't have to do this, because the tom mount wasn't drilled into the shell, it was just attached to the 4 lugs on top of the bass drum. Once I removed it and put the replacement lugs in, it's like it never had a mount!
    YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/rodrocks1040
    Twitch stream:
    www.twitch.tv/gm_rod_
    Music Website:
    www.rodrocks.net
    Social media links:
    www.gmrod.com

2. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I seem to recall that being the case.
    i do believe it was

3. th droids yerlookn4

Just as the RJ-100 and DR-100L/DR-100R are too. 20" deep bass drums were also made pretty much because of the call for them from this forum. Then virtually no one bought them.[/QUOTE]

thats because the next year all those pop -punk kids started listening to munferd and sons and other dribble ...
    i personally loves me the 22x20 's so thanks pearl .lol

4. Registered User

I removed the tom mounts on my bass drum when refinishing. I used cut pieces of dowel to wedge into the four bolt holes. I let it go just under the surface and wood glued from the underside. I scuffed up the area a little around the top of the holes, then used wood filler/sanding to make the surface around the four holes uniform.

Initially I blocked off the two big tom mount holes with chrome faucet blank outs from Home Depot (about $2 each). It looked nice with the other chrome on the kit. However, I experienced the bounce-back issue with the pedals because I don't port my reso. Found some perfect fit rubber grommets on Amazon and fixed that problem. I think it looks cool as well.

Last edited by Track12; 03-07-2019 at 07:43 AM.

5. Registered User

@Thrash
    Yes I read the thread... I was offering up advice on how to patch holes if needed as MOST tom mounts that are attatched to bass drums usually end up having holes in the bass shell for the tom rack tube. It wasn't stated that he had nothing to fill in... Thus why I spent so much time offering help instead of being a rude turd... Oh and he did mention it was an older kit so asking if he was going to rewrap the kit isnt out of the ordinary

@Track12
    I really like how you managed to use the holes as vents... When I filled my tom mount hole I was only dealing with 1 hole (but I could of filled two) but considering you dont port your reso head thats a smart move. Even looks nice too... Nice wrap too. I like the color and the matte finish it has.

@Baterax
    Its great you didnt have to patch anything. In my experience with bass drums when you take the tom rack off theres holes left over. Seems your kit is different and thats awesome... Id love to see an after photo once you get your lugs in. I'd only seen a railing system like the one you have online. Never in person, as you can see Track12 did something similar to what I did only he made the holes left behind work for him. Id actually love to see your kit... I'm a Mapex fan (after owning and restoring one of their low-end kits.) UK has some great one off kits that you can't buy here in the states. Be it sizes, finishes, etc... Happy you got it all sorted though
    Last edited by OfXaos; 03-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.

6. GM Rod

It worked out AMAZING.
    I'm about to post a video of my guitarist soldering an XLR mic connector inside my bass drum for me, using the KELLY SHU mounting system to put it in there, and also the MAY Miking system port hole XLR adapter thing.
    I had a gig in Wales this past weekend, and tested it out. ****ING AWESOME.
    It's delicious, to be able to plug in a cable to the bass drum and forget about it. I did a bunch of stuff to it as you will see in the video as well. Evans pillow thing velcroed to the bottom (that's been in there for over 10 years so it's definitely a YES), and one REMO Muffl' on each head, no port hole either.
    Sounded KILLAH. I highly recommend this whole setup, which I will talk about more in depth in future videos.
    I'm editing the soldering one right now and will post it here when I upload for your viewing pleasure.
    YouTube channel:
    Twitch stream:
    www.twitch.tv/gm_rod_
    Music Website:
    www.rodrocks.net
    Social media links:
    www.gmrod.com

7. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by OfXaos View Post
    @Thrash
    Yes I read the thread... I was offering up advice on how to patch holes if needed as MOST tom mounts that are attatched to bass drums usually end up having holes in the bass shell for the tom rack tube. It wasn't stated that he had nothing to fill in... Thus why I spent so much time offering help instead of being a rude turd... Oh and he did mention it was an older kit so asking if he was going to rewrap the kit isnt out of the ordinary
    Do you read it with your eyes shut? Because you can clearly see from the very first post (never mind the discussion in the remaining posts before yours) that 1) the mount is an iso-mount meaning no holes to plug and 2) the drum isn't wrapped

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

8. GM Rod

So here's that video! More to come!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nXRQY4nxBY
    YouTube channel:
    Twitch stream:
    www.twitch.tv/gm_rod_
    Music Website:
    www.rodrocks.net
    Social media links:
    www.gmrod.com