Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. sdrawkcab

Default Age cymbals by years within weeks, the secret is sulphur!

Before:

After:

I've always loved dirty and dry cymbals and have always heard of the stories of folks burying them in the yard, leaving them on the roof ect just to age them. I had some ZBT's and a set of Pearl "WILD" hats, perfect candidates!

I love modelling and wondered how prop artists aged bronze for sets and movies, they use "Liver of Sulphur". I was a cheapskate and used whatever wettable sulphur I could find in the hardware store but a few spoonfuls of the powder in a garbage bag full of water and you can get results like this.

The after image was taken after a hard scrubbing with detergent and even degreaser. Proper grime! You gotta do a lot of rinses, I did it all outside with gloves on cause the stuff stinks. That said it worked amazing.

I made a fun video of the process with a quick video of how they sound here:

https://youtu.be/5o5TixCTUvE

Waiting for some really cheap used A customs to come my way one day, be fun to see the change in pro cymbals! Especially ones as bright as A customs.
    I've been on the forum for 14 years??? What the heck have I been doing all this time??

2. Registered User

So, please forgive my ignorance. I sold my last kit in '03, have only been back into drumming for a few months. So, the aging, "Dries" the sound???

Is it more about looks, or the sound?

And I would love to hear them. Thanks,

3. Registered User

I have some ZBT's I got for free with a kit just sitting around and taking up space. I may give this a shot. What else am I going to do with them?

4. Registered User

Since you're gonna leave them outside, to the elements..can I suggest alittle dog urine or dog poo to see if it helps? Lol

I personally like my cymbals 'nice and shiny' but, if you like 'em patina'd and 'ugly' that's cool. It's not my thing but, to each their own.

Glad you're having fun, man!

5. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Since you're gonna leave them outside, to the elements..can I suggest alittle dog urine or dog poo to see if it helps? Lol

I personally like my cymbals 'nice and shiny' but, if you like 'em patina'd and 'ugly' that's cool. It's not my thing but, to each their own.

Glad you're having fun, man!
    isn't it a guy in norway member on this forum who got very good result with urine? isn't it ''ice''...no....it's ''' hipodislki'''

you should ask hipodelski because he got much more uniform result with its pee.....iirc he was asking its pals to pee on an array of cymbs while partying
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

6. a.k.a. YtseJam

Nope, I live in Bulgaria and I definitely do not piss on my cymbals, sorry.

7. life start at 125bpm

might be beermaniac then....
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    Nope, I live in Bulgaria and I definitely do not piss on my cymbals, sorry.

I had to log on just so I could laugh out loud about this. OMG, too funny!

But, rollracer is right. Not that long ago a forum member was using urine to patina his cymbals. He's also right about the after appearance being more uniform. No offense, but this cymbal looks as if it were briefly placed in a kiln.

I don't see anything wrong with urine on them. Your gonna scrub them anyway. People get urine on them all the time. Washes right off!!!

9. Chomp, Chomp

Let’s see if I got this right. You took a bottom of the line Zildjian cymbal that the only thing it had going for it was it’s looks, and now you’ve succeeded in making it look worse than it sounds. Excellent!
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

10. Registered User

Can I also suggest some Coke, or Pepsi? You might get some interesting results with those. I'd be curious to see the results.

11. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I had to log on just so I could laugh out loud about this. OMG, too funny!

But, rollracer is right. Not that long ago a forum member was using urine to patina his cymbals. He's also right about the after appearance being more uniform. No offense, but this cymbal looks as if it were briefly placed in a kiln.

I don't see anything wrong with urine on them. Your gonna scrub them anyway. People get urine on them all the time. Washes right off!!!
    damn....i.....he's from scandinavia for sure.i'm pretty affirmative it's beermaniac. ....it make sens : a beermaniac peeing on its cymbs.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Let’s see if I got this right. You took a bottom of the line Zildjian cymbal that the only thing it had going for it was it’s looks, and now you’ve succeeded in making it look worse than it sounds. Excellent!
    I agree dude. What person does this to a cymbal that is shiny? Bizarre... That's like taking a rubber hammer while standing butt naked in front of a mirror an you just wack yourself in the nuts full force and for no apparent reason..
    Last edited by DrumPlayerFTW; 02-19-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x18 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio Monitors