Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

the only cymbal I am very particular with the placement of is my primary ride cymbal. I want perfect access to my ride and don't want much around it to clutter the area. I need to be able to reach the bell and the bow of the cymbal easily without to much of a stretch...other than that I place them where I can hit them.
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

2. Masterworks / Sabian

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I agonise over it a lot, but not for the same reasons you are talking about. I agonise over it because I'm super anal when it comes to placement, down to the point I can't use gear tilters because they don't give me the exact angle of the cymbal I want, so I use Unilock tilters (which I've loved since 1994!). My placement has to be millimetre-perfect, otherwise I'm annoyed. And I still maintain I'm not OCD (because I'm not, I'm just particular)
    With yah bro. This is the reason I use racks. Perfect setup without the fuss of tape on carpet

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DrumandFly View Post
    With yah bro. This is the reason I use racks. Perfect setup without the fuss of tape on carpet
    I find racks to be too restrictive of placement. Sure, if you can make everything work on the rack you get a very repeatable setup, but I find I need the flexibility of stands to place things where I want them.

I did use a rack tube here (left side) to span between 2 cymbal stands for a couple accent cymbals, but that's the only portion of a rack I have on my kits.

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I find racks to be too restrictive of placement. Sure, if you can make everything work on the rack you get a very repeatable setup, but I find I need the flexibility of stands to place things where I want them.

I did use a rack tube here (left side) to span between 2 cymbal stands for a couple accent cymbals, but that's the only portion of a rack I have on my kits.
    Nice pic!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Drumming Since 1943

What are those hats?
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Registered User

Damn Tommy, that's a sweet looking set-up.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    What are those hats?
    Sabian AAX Freq hats.

8. Rodgers and Jordy!!

2016 PDF FFL Regular Season Champion 11-1 Record

On the other hand, I use a rack and love the placement of mine. Because my seat is close to the wall, I can't catch all of the cymbals in the pic so here is the closest I can get. To each their own!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

9. Drumming Since 1943

Sabian AAX Freq hats.
    How would you describe their sound? I'm getting a tad tired of the sound of my AA Rock Hats.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    How would you describe their sound? I'm getting a tad tired of the sound of my AA Rock Hats.
    It's kind of tough to describe. They are like a slightly "heavier" set of New Beat hi hats. The edges on the cymbals are kind of thick leading to a somewhat "clangy" open hi hat sound, but the foot chick and splash sounds are clean and crisp. I also like their closed to partially open sound. It's mostly their open/sloshy sound that I find a bit too aggressive for me. They probably aren't different enough for you when compared to your AA Rock hats.

However, I also have a set of HHX Fusion hats and those are pretty darn nice. Those have a relatively thin top cymbal with a thin edge over a really heavy, unlathed bottom. So you get a really crisp foot chick with a nice clean and smooth foot splash. The HHX top feels so good when being played and the open/sloshy sound is much smoother than the AAX Freq hats, yet still maintains a good amount of high end cut thanks to the heavy bottom cymbal. They are a smooth, aggressive sort of sound that isn't clangy at all.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Snakes&Arrows View Post
    On the other hand, I use a rack and love the placement of mine. Because my seat is close to the wall, I can't catch all of the cymbals in the pic so here is the closest I can get. To each their own!
    Racks certainly make the floor space around the kit much cleaner. I do admit that fitting 5 cymbal stands around the kit does lead to a lot of "legs through other legs" situations and that's not much fun.

12. Registered User

It's kind of tough to describe. They are like a slightly "heavier" set of New Beat hi hats. The edges on the cymbals are kind of thick leading to a somewhat "clangy" open hi hat sound, but the foot chick and splash sounds are clean and crisp. I also like their closed to partially open sound. It's mostly their open/sloshy sound that I find a bit too aggressive for me. They probably aren't different enough for you when compared to your AA Rock hats.

However, I also have a set of HHX Fusion hats and those are pretty darn nice. Those have a relatively thin top cymbal with a thin edge over a really heavy, unlathed bottom. So you get a really crisp foot chick with a nice clean and smooth foot splash. The HHX top feels so good when being played and the open/sloshy sound is much smoother than the AAX Freq hats, yet still maintains a good amount of high end cut thanks to the heavy bottom cymbal. They are a smooth, aggressive sort of sound that isn't clangy at all.
    I can second the endorsement for the HHX fusion hats. The feel is pretty unique... like the Zildjian K/Z hats. I also like my Evo hats as well.