Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Music Lover

After 50 plus years of playing drum set and the fact that I use a four-piece kit, no I do not agonize over cymbal placement. I mostly use hats, one ride, and two crashes. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

2. Registered User

My drum throne is also pretty close to the wall, so this is about as good of a panorama as I can take. As you can see, this is what causes me to have to compromise. When I play rock, some of the crashes and rides are in an OK spot. When I play jazz a certain portion of the kit gets unused as I focus on the side with the darker cymbals but it's not ideal either. I guess if I'm going to have a bit of a hybrid set I may just have to almost treat it like two different kits.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I find racks to be too restrictive of placement. Sure, if you can make everything work on the rack you get a very repeatable setup, but I find I need the flexibility of stands to place things where I want them..
    Yes and no. On the one hand, racks can be a bit restrictive for placement compared to stands, as you're limited to how far from you the cross bar is. However, get creative with rack pieces, grabber arms, etc, used as extenders, and you can still put your cymbal arms in the place you want them. Also, with curved bar racks you have no limitation, in terms of rotation, you can angle your tom and cymbal arms, which is a huge plus.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Riggz View Post
    My drum throne is also pretty close to the wall, so this is about as good of a panorama as I can take. As you can see, this is what causes me to have to compromise. When I play rock, some of the crashes and rides are in an OK spot. When I play jazz a certain portion of the kit gets unused as I focus on the side with the darker cymbals but it's not ideal either. I guess if I'm going to have a bit of a hybrid set I may just have to almost treat it like two different kits.
    Is your kit really set up that way or is is a trick of the photograph?
    Way Too Much Crap

5. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post

Lol! I thought the same at first but it's def a panoramic photo.

6. J-Con

Op, I like different "levels" of things to hit...

I have two crashes at the same height on either side. The next level down is a splash on my left and a crash on the right. Next level down is my hi hats on the left and FX stack in my "ride" position. After that I have my SPD one and my rack Tom, then at the lowest level I have my auxiliary snare, main snare, floor Tom.

But I DO make sure the spacing is all the same as well as the heights. I also just set up a rack for the first time and make sure my angles are all the same.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    Op, I like different "levels" of things to hit...
    ^ This. I have my splashes and smaller cymbals on one level closer to my toms, and then crashes are a different level right above them. And I try to keep things as symmetrical as I can to a degree above my toms.

8. Registered User

I had been agonizing over where to put the 20" Paiste 505 ride that I had lying around for about 6 months (since finding it in my parents basement after about a 25 year hibernation). It has an incredible patina on it and sounds like nothing else I own (so crisp and pingy with a wonderful washy crash). Finally found a great spot to place it over the concert tom on a boom stand (in upper far end of this pic). I typically put cymbals where I need them. Only time it's an issue is when I run out of room

Last edited by Track12; 02-25-2019 at 06:11 PM.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Yep, it's a panoramic photo. Looks pretty weird, it even makes some of my drums look squashed. It's a fairly comfortable set up that definitely wraps around me, it's not as linear as it appears it is quite comfortable, except I wish I had the room for that 16 inch floor Tom to be further away.

10. Registered User

I am packing up my kits right now but for years I had two kits set up. Each for separate kinds of music. Just makes so much sense to me.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

11. kottonmouth king

Pic of your kit?

"Smudge got her stitches out and so had to have a collar attached tofday." -Maark

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    I am packing up my kits right now but for years I had two kits set up. Each for separate kinds of music. Just makes so much sense to me.
    I like a different kit for each day of the week.