Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Default Determining Shipping and Hints on Selling a Kit

Iíve only sold one kit in my life and I got killed on the shipping. I underestimated on it.

How do you guys determine shipping without lugging the kit down to a UPS or FedEx depot? So many sales announce the shipping before the sale is made. Since shipping is usually affected by the distance as well as weight, arenít they taking quite a risk?

What is the safest way to pack a kit? How much room do you leave in a box for packing? What do you use for stability and filler?

I found selling high end gear difficult to sell. How do you guys not get killed with each kit you sell? How do you usually handle the sale once a buyer is found?

Thank you ahead of time.

2. Drumming Since 1943

What are you thinking of selling? Isnt all your gear pretty rare and close to your heart?
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    What are you thinking of selling? Isnt all your gear pretty rare and close to your heart?
    I’m thinking about selling my GMS titanium kit. Other than one record, it hasn’t left the house. The sentimental value is not there. Plus I’m considering getting a fiberglass kit and just don’t have the room for an additional kit.

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I’m thinking about selling my GMS titanium kit. Other than one record, it hasn’t left the house. The sentimental value is not there. Plus I’m considering getting a fiberglass kit and just don’t have the room for an additional kit.
    I see. I’d KILL for your basement.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I see. I’d KILL for your basement.
    You better move down here while it’s still affordable. The BENNYS are buying everything in site for their summer homes.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    You better move down here while it’s still affordable. The BENNYS are buying everything in site for their summer homes.
    Wouldn’t “I” technically be a “BENNY”?

We’re actually looking a bunch of houses today. Maplewood, rutherford and ridgefield.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Wouldn’t “I” technically be a “BENNY”?

We’re actually looking a bunch of houses today. Maplewood, rutherford and ridgefield.
    Not if you make it your home and not a summer home.

8. Registered User

I sold a kit last year and shipped it via UPS Ground without a problem. I was fortunate enough that UPS has a promo at the time which gave a 20% discount, It can be expensive especially if you miscalculate because UPS and Fed Ex will come back and charge for any missed surcharges after the fact. Very common.
    It's a lot of work and time to get it boxed up and measured correctly, but worth it in the long run.

Here are some tips:
    - Enclose all drums in a clear poly bag if you can. Keep them loose to allow for breathing, but tape them shut.
    - Pack the drum so they are "suspended" inside box meaning no part of the drum is touching the box. Dense bubble wrap or heavy brown paper (like Amazon uses) works well. Also place cardboard inserts around the drum to prevent it moving or shifting while in transit. Styrofoam of stiff foam wedges work good as well.
    - Both Fed Ex and UPS ship by dim weight or dimensional weight which factors in both the size and dimension (they call it girth) of the box. Both UPS and Fed Ex have online calculators that allow for a very detailed quote. It's only as accurate as the information you enter.
    - Only ship to a place of business or commercial address. Both carriers have residential delivery surcharges that can add up quickly.
    - Ship smaller toms/snares together in one box when possible.
    - Use a double wall box or sturdy single wall box. Tape them well (no masking tape) with clear shipping tape around all four edges on the top and bottom of each box. Check your local music store to see if they can spare any boxes especially for the bass drum.
    - Require a signature for delivery
    - Take 2 pics of each drum packed; one showing how it's packed inside of the box and another of the box sealed up ready to ship
    - Insure the shipment and declare the value if it's $$$. This is for claim purposes but does add to the total shipping costs. Either online calculator allows for the value to be included in the total cost.
    - Only ship to the lower US (if you're located in the US). Shipping to AK and HI is crazy expensive.
    - Make sure to use an accurate scale and dry fit the drums in the boxes with packing to get an accurate quote.
    - Once you're ready to calculate the shipping; use different zip codes across the US to get an average of what it might cost. For example use a zip code in WA, CA, MA, FL, TX and MN or WI to determine the cost. Obviously the furthest away zip codes will cost more, but this will help give you an idea.
    - If you're selling online clearly note the listing that it will come well pack, insured require a signature for delivery at a commercial address or a residential (if you chose to).

BTW - What's a BENNY?

9. Registered User

I should add; do NOT bring them to a local UPS or Fed Ex store to ship them. They will take you to the bank. Ship and pay for them online so you can print your own labels.

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by CZXfan View Post
    I sold a kit last year and shipped it via UPS Ground without a problem. I was fortunate enough that UPS has a promo at the time which gave a 20% discount, It can be expensive especially if you miscalculate because UPS and Fed Ex will come back and charge for any missed surcharges after the fact. Very common.
    It's a lot of work and time to get it boxed up and measured correctly, but worth it in the long run.

Here are some tips:
    - Enclose all drums in a clear poly bag if you can. Keep them loose to allow for breathing, but tape them shut.
    - Pack the drum so they are "suspended" inside box meaning no part of the drum is touching the box. Dense bubble wrap or heavy brown paper (like Amazon uses) works well. Also place cardboard inserts around the drum to prevent it moving or shifting while in transit. Styrofoam of stiff foam wedges work good as well.
    - Both Fed Ex and UPS ship by dim weight or dimensional weight which factors in both the size and dimension (they call it girth) of the box. Both UPS and Fed Ex have online calculators that allow for a very detailed quote. It's only as accurate as the information you enter.
    - Only ship to a place of business or commercial address. Both carriers have residential delivery surcharges that can add up quickly.
    - Ship smaller toms/snares together in one box when possible.
    - Use a double wall box or sturdy single wall box. Tape them well (no masking tape) with clear shipping tape around all four edges on the top and bottom of each box. Check your local music store to see if they can spare any boxes especially for the bass drum.
    - Require a signature for delivery
    - Take 2 pics of each drum packed; one showing how it's packed inside of the box and another of the box sealed up ready to ship
    - Insure the shipment and declare the value if it's $$$. This is for claim purposes but does add to the total shipping costs. Either online calculator allows for the value to be included in the total cost.
    - Only ship to the lower US (if you're located in the US). Shipping to AK and HI is crazy expensive.
    - Make sure to use an accurate scale and dry fit the drums in the boxes with packing to get an accurate quote.
    - Once you're ready to calculate the shipping; use different zip codes across the US to get an average of what it might cost. For example use a zip code in WA, CA, MA, FL, TX and MN or WI to determine the cost. Obviously the furthest away zip codes will cost more, but this will help give you an idea.
    - If you're selling online clearly note the listing that it will come well pack, insured require a signature for delivery at a commercial address or a residential (if you chose to).

BTW - What's a BENNY?
    Quote Originally Posted by CZXfan View Post
    I should add; do NOT bring them to a local UPS or Fed Ex store to ship them. They will take you to the bank. Ship and pay for them online so you can print your own labels.
    Amazing advice. Thank you.

The acronym BENNY stands for a tourist who comes in the northern Jersey Shore and thinks they own the town by acting like a total douche to put it nicely. It stands for Bayone, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York.

They are usually rich as they knock down nice working class homes and build these ridiculous mansions only used for 3 months a year. This pretty much describes our experience with them.

“I would like to welcome all of our NYC & North Jersey visitors here to the Ocean Twp./Deal/Asbury Park area, but there are a few things I would like to let everyone know to make everyone's time here enjoyable:

1. Do not litter. We like to keep our town & beaches clean and we do not assume that simply someone else will clean up after us.

2. When at the beach, do not walk across someone else's blanket or let your kids play catch so close that they are hitting other people with their ball or Frisbee or running into someone else's spot in the sand.

3. Do not block someone in with your car or sit in the fire lane so you can run into a store or shop. Wait until someone pulls out. It won't take that long.

4. Please discuss with your children and their friends that they are not entitled to block traffic when they are riding their bikes in the middle of the road or while parked & talking with their friends while deciding where to go nor should they have an attitude when asked to move. There are bike lanes to use or tell them to simply stay to right when riding.

5. Please don't double park in the middle of the road in order to talk with your friends. We all have friends we want to see too.

6. Please don't park in front of your friend's house and honk your horn. Take the minimal effort it takes and knock on their door.

7. Please don't push through the aisles in the grocery stores or have more than the allotted items in the 10 or less cashier lane. If things are done right, we will all get out of there quickly and smoothly.

8. If your kid is going to camp, please be outside & waiting when your bus is scheduled to arrive both during pick up and drop off. Don't walk out casually after the bus honks its horn or worse yet, the driver gets out & knocks on the door all while holding up traffic.

9. The dirt lot by the surf/dog beach in Asbury is for those who use the surf/dog beach for a couple hours at a time. It is not for you to leave your car for the week. Please see the van with the for sale sign that has been there practically all summer and has yet to move.

10. A big request to all of the moms pushing their baby carriages, use the sidewalks instead of walking in the street 3 carriages wide. It is especially dangerous as well it blocks traffic.

11. Please stay within the speed limit through neighborhoods especially. We know you're in a hurry to do all the things there are to do, but there are kids who live here.

Thank you,

Dale W Miller”

11. Registered User

What kind of fiberglass drums are you looking at?

Does GMS offer fiberglass shells?

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    What kind of fiberglass drums are you looking at?

Does GMS offer fiberglass shells?
    No, but like the titanium kit and fiberglass snare I already have, they’ll make just about anything for me as long as I can get the shell.