Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Masterworks / Sabian

Default Adding "pads" to acoustic kit

Hi,

So I am starting think I want to get into adding percussion sounds etc to my acoustic kit. I am hoping to get suggestions what is the smartest way to go?

Things like timpales, triangles, wind chimes, etc. Maybe some cool african drums. Think Neil Peart stuff.

I just don't know if getting a multipad for the sounds then picking up a few Dauz pads. Really clueless on this stuff.

Any advice is helpful to get me going in a smart direction.

Thanks all.

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by DrumandFly View Post
    Hi,

So I am starting think I want to get into adding percussion sounds etc to my acoustic kit. I am hoping to get suggestions what is the smartest way to go?

Things like timpales, triangles, wind chimes, etc. Maybe some cool african drums. Think Neil Peart stuff.

I just don't know if getting a multipad for the sounds then picking up a few Dauz pads. Really clueless on this stuff.

Thanks all.
    I've gone both routes, the multi-pad with aux pads and the full blown percussion rig, mainly because IMO, the natural sound is nicer (as it always would be), and of course, it looks great. As far as the Percussion stuff, I went for a pair of Premier Fiberglass Timpani, 2 sets of wind chimes, Bell tree, 2 Triangles, Wind Gong, Glockenspiel, Cowbell tree, LP Compact Congas, Tama Mini Timbales, 10x7" Premier Crown Concert tom (tuned timbale like).

As for the Electronics route, Roland Octapad over the floor toms, using the aux pad outs to run a 6" Dauz pad above the snare, FAT KAT Trigger pedal beside the hi hat and a Roland PDX-6 pad behind the left floor, in front of the glock.

Both setups combined is my favourite way to do it, but if you want to keep it simple, start with the electronics stuff, then add wind chimes and acoustic percussion as and when you feel like it. The octapad's internal sounds are great, drums, percussion, melodic stuff, industrial clangs, it does the lot. The only limitations are the wind chime sound, which you can only have one way (glissando down, not up), same situation with the bell tree sample. And I preferred the feel of using real cowbells as opposed to the pads.

Hope all of this helps, feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Name:  38812311_2077509845832729_1883521353194143744_n.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  79.7 KB
    Name:  23472894_1921477414769307_4117298272752567631_n.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  78.7 KB
    Name:  39261443_2084760211774359_7692403318965927936_n.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  86.5 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Roland SPD-SX is the simplest way to get your feet wet without feeling the need for an upgrade later.

4. Masterworks / Sabian

Thanks guys.

So is a multipad with extra pads or going with an electronic kit better way to go? More interested in percussion sounds than drums.

I would like to have 4 mini pads around the kit.

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Thanks guys.

So is a multipad with extra pads or going with an electronic kit better way to go? More interested in percussion sounds than drums.

The SPD-SX has 9 pads and two outs for triggers or other pads. If you want simply 4 pads, you’re going to need a sound source.
    Last edited by dale w miller; 02-17-2019 at 12:04 AM.

6. th droids yerlookn4

Hi,

Thanks all.
    i was thinking about this lately as well,
    for starters i would go with one the many sample pads out there ...every company has there own flavor , but the new alesis strike sample pad has ticking all the rite boxes for me .
    its got a ton of sounds it has separate trigger for your bass drum and an additional hi hat also 2 ,two zone triggers for extra pads around the kit , with splitters , that equals 4 pads
    all the good sample pads run at about 699$ , and this is no different but it beats paying 900 to 1100 for a module you might not fully utilize
    Last edited by 2 basses4life; 02-17-2019 at 11:10 AM.

7. th droids yerlookn4

8. NO KIT TOO BIG

Thanks guys.

Octapad, which has 4 aux trigger outs, so will be perfect for you. Has tons of percussion sounds in it too.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

9. Registered User

I use in a similar way to Neil Peat. A PD8 roland close to the snare, 2 custom pads over floor toms, a KT10 pedal left to the hi hat, a SPD20X to my left, aslo I use a BT1 pad to my right very behind from me for custom samples (it is connected to a small module).
    WANTED ::: Tom Mapex ProM 8" Blue Ice ::: WANTED

10. Masterworks / Sabian

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Octapad, which has 4 aux trigger outs, so will be perfect for you. Has tons of percussion sounds in it too.
    I think you may be right. Could be a great solution. Thanks.

11. Masterworks / Sabian

Quote Originally Posted by neilrush View Post
    I use in a similar way to Neil Peat. A PD8 roland close to the snare, 2 custom pads over floor toms, a KT10 pedal left to the hi hat, a SPD20X to my left, aslo I use a BT1 pad to my right very behind from me for custom samples (it is connected to a small module).

Would love to see a pic if you have one. Thanks.

12. Registered User

Would love to see a pic if you have one. Thanks.

I took some pics, it is in a small room so I couldnt take better pics.

Name:  IMG_20190219_201954551.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20190219_202005088.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20190219_202024683.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  58.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    WANTED ::: Tom Mapex ProM 8" Blue Ice ::: WANTED