Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Suspension mounts.

Got a simple question for you all...

I'm considering changing out the mounts on my Decade Maple kit. I like the new Optilocs, but I feel like the section that you screw into the shell might be choking the resonance out of it. I've been looking at some aftermarket mounting systems to see if I could possibly coax a little extra ring out of them, but I was wondering what everyone's favorite system is and which ones seem to allow for the most resonance? (Yes, I actually covet the ring. I have no intention of covering the heads in tape and Moon Gel to "control" it)

There are plenty of blank RIMS I could get that would let me attach the actual Pearl mount to the mounting plate so I wouldn't have to get new tom arms, although that option's not completely out of the question.

Just looking for opinions and a lively (friendly) debate
    Last edited by The_Prowler; 02-13-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    Don't pick a fight with a drummer... we beat things for a living.

2. It's all about me...

Aluminum Optis....I'm replacing the standard Optimounts on my Session kit with them once I get a little extra $$$. No real reason other than aesthetics at this point...

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    Aluminum Optis....I'm replacing the standard Optimounts on my Session kit with them once I get a little extra $$$. No real reason other than aesthetics at this point...
    I would love to have those, but $200 for a pair is unfortunately a bit steep for me. This is going to be something I'll have to save for regardless of price.

4. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    I would love to have those, but $200 for a pair is unfortunately a bit steep for me. This is going to be something I'll have to save for regardless of price.
    Yeah they *are* kinda spendy I agree (that's why I'm waiting myself because I need three) - if visibility isn't a concern get the regular optis....they're a little cheaper....

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

5. Playing since 1976

Got a simple question for you all...

I'm considering changing out the mounts on my Decade Maple kit. I like the new Optilocs, but I feel like the section that you screw into the shell might be choking the resonance out of it. I've been looking at some aftermarket mounting systems to see if I could possibly coax a little extra ring out of them, but I was wondering what everyone's favorite system is and which ones seem to allow for the most resonance? (Yes, I actually covet the ring. I have no intention of covering the heads in tape and Moon Gel to "control" it)

There are plenty of blank RIMS I could get that would let me attach the actual Pearl mount to the mounting plate so I wouldn't have to get new tom arms, although that option's not completely out of the question.

Just looking for opinions and a lively (friendly) debate
    You asked for opinions, so here's my 2 cents. I wouldn't put more money into a Pearl Decade Maple kit, for a couple reasons. I've been down that road in the past... trying to upgrade drums via hardware upgrades. The problem is, it's a waste of money. Drum hardware parts tend to be very expensive. You could invest the money in better drums, and sell yours on eBay or CL. The other reason I wouldn't go down this upgrade road is, the Pearl Optimount (regular or aluminum) is not going to achieve all of this enhanced resonance you're hoping to hear. You might get a little extra, after tinkering with how they attach to the drums, but it won't be a dramatic improvement your likely dreaming of. I'd consider finding other drums that resonate more; they are worth saving and shopping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    Exactly, and speaking of aesthetics, I'd rather see more drum, and less mount.

Not to mention, at the end of the day, you'll have a Decade Maple drum with an Optimount on it.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    You asked for opinions, so here's my 2 cents. I wouldn't put more money into a Pearl Decade Maple kit, for a couple reasons. I've been down that road in the past... trying to upgrade drums via hardware upgrades. The problem is, it's a waste of money. Drum hardware parts tend to be very expensive. You could invest the money in better drums, and sell yours on eBay or CL. The other reason I wouldn't go down this upgrade road is, the Pearl Optimount (regular or aluminum) is not going to achieve all of this enhanced resonance you're hoping to hear. You might get a little extra, after tinkering with how they attach to the drums, but it won't be a dramatic improvement your likely dreaming of. I'd consider finding other drums that resonate more; they are worth saving and shopping for.

Not to mention, at the end of the day, you'll have a Decade Maple drum with an Optimount on it.
    He isn't wrong.

7. Looks That Kill

you want more resonance? Upgrade to a session select or a masters maple complete. Better shells and they already have a good mounting system.
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Bombay Sparkle
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

8. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by cuznred View Post
    you want more resonance? Upgrade to a session select ....
    ^ qft

:d

Kit Pix

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    you want more resonance? Upgrade to a session select or a masters maple complete. Better shells and they already have a good mounting system.
    This!

10. Registered User

Thanks for the input, guys. Funny you all should mention the Sessions since that was the other kit I was looking at when I was shopping around, but the Decade's were the more affordable route for me. I put some Emperors on the tops which greatly improved the sound, but I never switched out the bottom heads, so that'll probably be the next step I take when I can afford it. I'm sure that'll make another drastic improvement. Everyone who's heard them says they sound great (and don't get me wrong, they absolutely do), but the control is a little *too* controlled sometimes. If I were playing straight rock all the time they would be perfect, but I play a lot of Funk, Soul, R&B and Blues so sometimes I want a little extra ring out of them.

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Itís like putting fancy rims & tires on a Ford Focus. Itís still an economy car. Thereís only so far you can take it. No matter how much you put into it, itíll never drive like a Mustang.

12. Registered User

It’s like putting fancy rims & tires on a Ford Focus. It’s still an economy car. There’s only so far you can take it. No matter how much you put into it, it’ll never drive like a Mustang.
    Agree
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT