Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Experienced Noob

Default Quick Preamp Comparison: Focusrite Clarett/Audient ASP880

I just replaced my Focusrite Clarett devices with Audient iD44 & ASP880s. I figured that made it a good time to compare the 2 devices on some drums. So, I played the same thing on 4 drums (kick, snare, floor tom, & mounted tom) using each of the voices available in the Clarett (without & with Air) and ASP880 (medium, high, and low impedance). I level matched all the tracks using peak values. So, if you are wondering whether a Clarett or an Audient device is for you, here is a quick comparison to check out: https://youtu.be/AxkymZwD628

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    I just replaced my Focusrite Clarett devices with Audient iD44 & ASP880s. I figured that made it a good time to compare the 2 devices on some drums. So, I played the same thing on 4 drums (kick, snare, floor tom, & mounted tom) using each of the voices available in the Clarett (without & with Air) and ASP880 (medium, high, and low impedance). I level matched all the tracks using peak values. So, if you are wondering whether a Clarett or an Audient device is for you, here is a quick comparison to check out: https://youtu.be/AxkymZwD628
    Nice but I Would of like to actually see the drums hit on video along with hearing them so I could hear the tones better.
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x18 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio Monitors

3. Not Your Everyday Drummer

Thanks for sharing! I got the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre some time ago, but had wondered how it would sound compared to the Audient iD44. This has helped to answer that. Much appreciated!

4. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyOz View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I got the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre some time ago, but had wondered how it would sound compared to the Audient iD44. This has helped to answer that. Much appreciated!

You're welcome. I thought the comparison would be useful to people considering between the 2 devices. I don't know why it didn't occur to me until after the video was done that I should have also included the iD44 preamp. I believe it's basically the same as the ASP880 on medium Z setting, but haven't tested that to verify.