Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. GM Rod

Default Modifying my drums!

Hello!

So, I've found myself a gig with a function band here in the UK.
    In an attempt to streamline my setup, I've been looking into something I've been interested in for a LONG time: The May internal drum miking system. And then something for looks: Drumlite strips + triggers.

Now, I have an old beautiful MAPEX Saturn Pro kit, from the time those still had mahogany in the shell.
    Pictures attached.

The idea is to find someone here in the UK who can drill two XLR connectors on each of my shells. One for the mikes and one for the lights.
    This would make my drums "plug and play", right? Get to the gig, connect cables, all set. No stands, no positioning, no taking down mikes later.

I already have a Kelly Shu system installed in my bass drum, and it's already got the May vent mounted XLR thing so I don't need to mess with that one anymore.
    That leaves the other four drums: 12x01 tom, 13x11 tom, 16x16 floor tom and 14x8 snare.
    I'll include pics of my kit just so you guys can have a better idea of it.

Anyone have a recommendation on where to bring my drums to do this? I'm in Leeds, so West Yorkshire.
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/rodrocks1040
    Twitch stream:
    www.twitch.tv/gm_rod_
    Music Website:
    www.rodrocks.net
    Social media links:
    www.gmrod.com

2. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by baterax View Post
    Hello!

So, I've found myself a gig with a function band here in the UK.
    In an attempt to streamline my setup, I've been looking into something I've been interested in for a LONG time: The May internal drum miking system. And then something for looks: Drumlite strips + triggers.

Now, I have an old beautiful MAPEX Saturn Pro kit, from the time those still had mahogany in the shell.
    Pictures attached.

The idea is to find someone here in the UK who can drill two XLR connectors on each of my shells. One for the mikes and one for the lights.
    This would make my drums "plug and play", right? Get to the gig, connect cables, all set. No stands, no positioning, no taking down mikes later.

I already have a Kelly Shu system installed in my bass drum, and it's already got the May vent mounted XLR thing so I don't need to mess with that one anymore.
    That leaves the other four drums: 12x01 tom, 13x11 tom, 16x16 floor tom and 14x8 snare.
    I'll include pics of my kit just so you guys can have a better idea of it.

Anyone have a recommendation on where to bring my drums to do this? I'm in Leeds, so West Yorkshire.
    Thanks in advance!
    Give the guys at Highwood drums a ring, Gareth Heeley makes and modifies drums, and should be able to do this for you. Based in Horbury, West Yorkshire too, so fairly local to you. https://www.facebook.com/highwooddrums/
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

3. Registered User

Nice kit bro, like the 2 up one down offset configuration
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x18 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio Monitors

4. GM Rod

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Give the guys at Highwood drums a ring, Gareth Heeley makes and modifies drums, and should be able to do this for you. Based in Horbury, West Yorkshire too, so fairly local to you. https://www.facebook.com/highwooddrums/
    Hooray! Thank you!
    YouTube channel:
    Twitch stream:
    www.twitch.tv/gm_rod_
    Music Website:
    www.rodrocks.net
    Social media links:
    www.gmrod.com

5. GM Rod

Quote Originally Posted by DrumPlayerFTW View Post
    Nice kit bro, like the 2 up one down offset configuration

Thank you. It's like that because I used to have two kicks, I got attached to the toms in the middle thing hehe.
    YouTube channel:
    Twitch stream:
    www.twitch.tv/gm_rod_
    Music Website:
    www.rodrocks.net
    Social media links:
    www.gmrod.com

6. Registered User

I always wanted a double kick drum set but I have double pedals instead. I'll get two bass drums an another floor tom then my dreams will come true
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x18 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio Monitors

7. GM Rod

Another thing here is, I’m trying to figure out which XLR connectors to get. I’m guessing it’ll be the male versions, 3-pin. But Neutrik has so many options, I’m a bit lost!
    I also want to color code them, to have the cables also colored and this way I or anyone else setting up always knows which cable is what.
    And I want them to have dust caps to close them when not in use.
    I’ve seen NEUTRIK offers both, but they apparently only fit the D type of XLR connectors. I just need to make sure those are the ones you’d install in shells.
    Help?
    YouTube channel:
    Twitch stream:
    www.twitch.tv/gm_rod_
    Music Website:
    www.rodrocks.net
    Social media links:
    www.gmrod.com

8. NO KIT TOO BIG

Another thing here is, I’m trying to figure out which XLR connectors to get. I’m guessing it’ll be the male versions, 3-pin. But Neutrik has so many options, I’m a bit lost!
    I also want to color code them, to have the cables also colored and this way I or anyone else setting up always knows which cable is what.
    And I want them to have dust caps to close them when not in use.
    I’ve seen NEUTRIK offers both, but they apparently only fit the D type of XLR connectors. I just need to make sure those are the ones you’d install in shells.
    Help?
    Ask the guys fitting them if they have any reccommendations, but definitely get the metal cased XLR mount rather than plastic. I've seen people use both the flush to the shell ones and the right angled connectors with great success. As for labelling, i'd advise coloured cable ties, I have all my cables marked at both ends with a blue stripe, so there's never any doubt who's is what. I believe you can buy variety packs of different coloured ones in stores (Pound shops etc.) and online (Amazon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-79300...7D2KX3JT0B6ETF

9. GM Rod

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Ask the guys fitting them if they have any reccommendations, but definitely get the metal cased XLR mount rather than plastic. I've seen people use both the flush to the shell ones and the right angled connectors with great success. As for labelling, i'd advise coloured cable ties, I have all my cables marked at both ends with a blue stripe, so there's never any doubt who's is what. I believe you can buy variety packs of different coloured ones in stores (Pound shops etc.) and online (Amazon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-79300...7D2KX3JT0B6ETF
    So the guy installing it says he doesnít touch electronics, so heís not the guy to advise on this.
    So I messaged NEUTRIK themselves on Facebook to get a recommendation from them. From what Iím seeing I have to get the type D connector because thatís the one that will fit both the dust caps, and the color tags.
    But then, I saw one that offers a female termination inside, which would mean I could connect the mics inside with a regular short XLR cable, this would be amazing! I just need to see if these will accept the dust caps and the color labels. Picture attached for clarity.

Will keep this updated!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    YouTube channel:
    Twitch stream:
    www.twitch.tv/gm_rod_
    Music Website:
    www.rodrocks.net
    Social media links:
    www.gmrod.com

10. NO KIT TOO BIG

So the guy installing it says he doesn’t touch electronics, so he’s not the guy to advise on this.
    So I messaged NEUTRIK themselves on Facebook to get a recommendation from them. From what I’m seeing I have to get the type D connector because that’s the one that will fit both the dust caps, and the color tags.
    But then, I saw one that offers a female termination inside, which would mean I could connect the mics inside with a regular short XLR cable, this would be amazing! I just need to see if these will accept the dust caps and the color labels. Picture attached for clarity.

Will keep this updated!
    Looks ideal to me, saves you cutting and soldering cables. just get a 0.5m XLR and loop it around the mic mount a couple of times to keep it tidy, but still leaving it slack.