Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default My Mid-Life crises drum kit...

Gonna be 55 next month and lately I've been reminiscing about deeper tom depths and a larger set than the 4 pc. Tama Superstar custom kit I had been playing for the last few years. While perusing the facebook marketplace site, I came across this mid 90's nine piece Pearl Session series MONSTER that I have lovingly dubbed "Big Teal" as it is finished in my favorite teal lacquer from that period. I actually owned a smaller 5 pc. version of this kit in the same finish bought brand new back then and immediately regretted selling it because it always sounded as good as it looked. Looking forward to cleaning, polishing and restoring it to it's former glory! The kid I bought this from said "if I didn't sell it, I was going to spray paint it a matte black". I gasped "NO, I'm so glad you didn't"! His annoyed father agreed with me as I handed over the cash and began hustling them out of there. I'm not thrilled with the ISS mounts and never have been but I'm going to try to modify them a little by replacing the metal spacers on the ISS brackets with rubber grommets and try putting adhesive backed foam rubber on top of the bracket lip where the rim rests to try to isolate the toms a little better. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go back to my favorite tried and true R.I.M.s method of mounting. Sizes are 8X8, 10X10, 12X10, 13X11, 14X12, 16X14, 18X16 ,22X16 and what I consider an awesome bonus: a matching 6.5X14 snare!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. A Passion Play ...

Sweet score. There is thunder in those shells for sure.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

3. Pearl does it for me

Welcome to the PDF, the Vintage section, and the mid 50's lol

Nice score, looking forward to seeing it all cleaned up...

4. Registered User

Congrats, a very similar setup to mine! I would bet though that the 8x8 tom is actually 8x7?
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Glad to see you plan on living until you’re a 110. Too many give up before then.

That kit allows you to give Nicko McBrain a run for his money.

6. Registered User

LOL Dale...Not sure I want to live that long. Already getting the aches and pains associated with 40 years of steady drumming but they WILL probably bury me with my sticks still in my cold dead hands!

7. Registered User

No Bodgit it really is an 8X8. I was curious as well and measured the shell. Pretty cool having the 8" and 10" toms in square sizes. In the pic though the 8" tom DOES look a little shallower.

8. Registered User

Absolutely Eric. I just HAD to have this set! Being an old school drummer, I really started getting disappointed at the tom depths on drums starting to go shallower and just missed the BOOM of a nice deep tom. This kit held 3 bonus drums in my mind. The 8X8 tom, 18X16 Floor (haven't had one since the 80s) and the matching snare in my favorite size which really sounds great as well. I also use a Ludwig 14X8 steel Supralite that I tricked out with a Dunnet/Gibralter swivel strainer. The $200 snare sounded good enough to warrant an upgrade.

9. Registered User

Thanks 3pearl, it's good to be home again. I played Pearl drums for many years and kinda lost my way with other brands for a while. Some awesome, some pretty crappy but I always held a soft spot in my heart for Pearl. Always thought of them as the "working man's" affordable drum brand.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Niteclub View Post
    Gonna be 55 next month and lately I've been reminiscing about deeper tom depths and a larger set than the 4 pc. Tama Superstar custom kit I had been playing for the last few years. While perusing the facebook marketplace site, I came across this mid 90's nine piece Pearl Session series MONSTER that I have lovingly dubbed "Big Teal" as it is finished in my favorite teal lacquer from that period. I actually owned a smaller 5 pc. version of this kit in the same finish bought brand new back then and immediately regretted selling it because it always sounded as good as it looked. Looking forward to cleaning, polishing and restoring it to it's former glory! The kid I bought this from said "if I didn't sell it, I was going to spray paint it a matte black". I gasped "NO, I'm so glad you didn't"! His annoyed father agreed with me as I handed over the cash and began hustling them out of there. I'm not thrilled with the ISS mounts and never have been but I'm going to try to modify them a little by replacing the metal spacers on the ISS brackets with rubber grommets and try putting adhesive backed foam rubber on top of the bracket lip where the rim rests to try to isolate the toms a little better. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go back to my favorite tried and true R.I.M.s method of mounting. Sizes are 8X8, 10X10, 12X10, 13X11, 14X12, 16X14, 18X16 ,22X16 and what I consider an awesome bonus: a matching 6.5X14 snare!
    Nice score for sure!

11. Registered User

That looks like a lot of fun to play!
    60's Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 20-12-16; Club Date - Oyster Black Pearl 20-12-14, 14
    Gretsch USA Walnut 18x16 bass x 2, 22-12-13-14-16; Renown 8-10-12-14-14-16-22
    FOR SALE: Pearl Custom Z 10-12-13-16; 24 & 18 bass; 90's Premier Genista
    WANTED: Custom Z 8", 14" toms; Pearl Fiberglass Bass in WMP

12. Registered User

nice score...love the deep tom depths...how do you plan to clean it up? is the lacquer in good shape that you could polish it using an automotive cut polish if required?
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!