Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Pearl Red Line Eliminator Double Pedal / Hex Screw adjustment.

Hi there.

I would like to introduce myself to the Pearl drummers forum. I am a proud owner of a Pearl Session Studio Classic kit and have also recently purchased a Pearl Red Line Eliminator double pedal from guitar center. I really liked the demo version of the pedal that was set up in the store and so I ordered a brand new one that arrived a few days ago.

After setting the pedal up on my kit I realized that the beaters are set up to be equidistant from the center of the bass drum. I am used to having my main beater closer to the center of the drum and although the pedal feels great as it is, I feel like I am not getting the full tone from the bass drum seeing as the main pedal is not hitting in the center. I thought that a simple hex screw adjustment (moving the beater link holder closer to the cam ) would solve this but for the life of me, I can not undo the hex screws at front and back of the bass drum beater holder.

I don't want to use so much force that I end up blunting the head of the hex screw. Does anybody here have experience undoing these hex screws? I did contact a pearl representative directly and they said to try putting a little oil on the screws, leaving them and then trying to unscrew with the hex key. I have done this but had no luck so far.

Any help or advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Bradley George
    Last edited by Bradley George; 02-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.

2. It's all about me...

If all your'e wanting to do is move the beater on the right (main) pedal closer to the head, you don't need to futz with the hex screws. There's a standard tension screw that locks in the spring mechanism - loosen that get your beater where you want it then tighten it back up.

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    If all your'e wanting to do is move the beater on the right (main) pedal closer to the head, you don't need to futz with the hex screws. There's a standard tension screw that locks in the spring mechanism - loosen that get your beater where you want it then tighten it back up.
    Hi Jonah. Thanks for your reply.

No, the problem is not that I want the beater closer. I want to move the beater link holder (as it's described in the manual) slightly to the left so that it will be more central when it hits the bass drum head. With the way the pedal is set up at the moment the beater is too far off to the right. It's almost a whole beaters width away from the left side beater. I have been used to having my beaters pretty close together on my previous Tama Iron Cobra and DW pedal that I used recently on tour. The only way I can see of moving the beater to a more central position on the drum is by undoing those hex screws. I want to get it as close to the cam as I can whilst not having it get in the way of the cam quick release switch.

I am wondering if this pedal was a return to guitar center and somebody cranked those hex screws so tight they are seized. I just can't safely undo them. As it is the pedal is useless to me so I am thinking of returning it which is a shame as I love the feel of it and think the cam options are great. It's just that the main pedal is so off center I am losing a lot of tone. I don't use any pillows or dampening in my kick drum so the loss of tone is really noticeable.

4. Registered User

I moved the beater holder right next to the cam on my older generation p2002b pedal. If the hex screws are really tight, make sure that you are using a guality hex key, and you should be able to open the hex bolts without damaging them.

5. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley George View Post
    Hi Jonah. Thanks for your reply.

No, the problem is not that I want the beater closer. I want to move the beater link holder (as it's described in the manual) slightly to the left so that it will be more central when it hits the bass drum head. With the way the pedal is set up at the moment the beater is too far off to the right. It's almost a whole beaters width away from the left side beater. I have been used to having my beaters pretty close together on my previous Tama Iron Cobra and DW pedal that I used recently on tour. The only way I can see of moving the beater to a more central position on the drum is by undoing those hex screws. I want to get it as close to the cam as I can whilst not having it get in the way of the cam quick release switch.

I am wondering if this pedal was a return to guitar center and somebody cranked those hex screws so tight they are seized. I just can't safely undo them. As it is the pedal is useless to me so I am thinking of returning it which is a shame as I love the feel of it and think the cam options are great. It's just that the main pedal is so off center I am losing a lot of tone. I don't use any pillows or dampening in my kick drum so the loss of tone is really noticeable.
    Ahhh....I thought you meant closer front to back not side to side....so that makes more sense....

I'm sure you tried it but did you trying loosening it opposite of normal? I've never had to adjust it so not sure if it's standard (left to loosen, right to tighten) or opposite...just a thought.

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    I'm sure you tried it but did you trying loosening it opposite of normal? I've never had to adjust it so not sure if it's standard (left to loosen, right to tighten) or opposite...just a thought.
    I'd be extremely surprised if Pearl had used a left hand thread here.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

7. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    I'd be extremely surprised if Pearl had used a left hand thread here.
    So would I but I've seen stranger stuff....

Kit Pix

8. Registered User

Thanks everybody for your replies and comments. I have tried 3 different hex keys that fit the hex screw. One of themthem has a really good grip and it will still not loosen the hex screw. I feel that I could use more force but am using as much pressure as I think the hex screw head could stand without the key blunting the head of the screw.

9. Registered User

I did it! I just had to be a bit bolder with the force I was using! Looks like there is some kind of residue on the end of the hex screws. Maybe, locktight?
    Last edited by Bradley George; 02-13-2019 at 01:30 PM.

10. It's all about me...

Welcome to PDF by the way.... :-)

Kit Pix

11. Registered User

Thanks Jonah!
    Good to be here!

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley George View Post
    I did it! I just had to be a bit bolder with the force I was using! Looks like there is some kind of residue on the end of the hex screws. Maybe, locktight?
    Yes. Loctite.
    Way Too Much Crap