Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Yes, still no drums

plan on retiring in four months and I have been looking at the export line of drums. I guess better late then never. I did take a look in Sam ash to see the sets and they had a few on the floor so I started to play one of them and the sticks were hitting each other and twice they flew out my hand but I sat there for about five minutes then an employee came to me and said hi hat 1,2,3,4 ...Bass 1,3.....snare 2,4 .....I still made a few mistakes but I heard a nice beat if I can maintain it constantly. Well let's see what happens in four months

2. Skeld-the -wicked

Welcome to the forum No Drums.Its never too late to have fun. Iím 65 years young and I started at 40. My wife and I were in Florida at a Borders book store and I bought a book Drumming for Dummies. The book explains the modern drum set , included is a play along cd explaining different styles ,rudiments and helps you to get started on the journey. I would suggest getting lessons from a instructor . I enjoy watching other drummers play but only if they have that groove and feel and donít overplay that makes me loose interest Quickly. There is no canít in my vocabulary. If you say canít ,you wonít. I canít measure how much fun I have had.

As far as dropping sticks try not to grip the sticks too tight . Give yourself time , learning to play drums is not as easy as it looks. It didnít happen overnight for me but after playing professionally for 25 years in bands I have had so much fun playing with many musicians. My first kit was a Export Select. I bought used cymbals and stands at first . Check out Musicgoround.com they are in at least 15 states depending where you live or If you have a Guitar Center near you they sell used gear in stores and online.

Good luck to you in your journey.
    Pearl Drums
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

3. A Passion Play ...

Hello. Please check the used drum market. In the times we live in you can score a “pro”
    line kit for a great price. Cymbals and hardware can be had too. Best of luck. E
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

4. Drumming Since 1943

Just make sure that you learn to use the hi hat pedal when you play.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. a.k.a. YtseJam

Well, he's way past 11.

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    Well, he's way past 11.
    11x6.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Get Down On It

Quote Originally Posted by hipodilski View Post
    Well, he's way past 11.
    Whoa! What a pull from the past

Anyway, No Drums, have fun with this new adventure. You're never too old to have fun with music. A coworker pal of mine was nearing retirement and asked me about drums and getting back into it. He picked up a nice, used Export and I cleaned and re-headed/tuned them up for him. He's having fun just playing in the basement. Get a decent kit like an Export and get nice cymbals like A's or AA's and quality hardware/pedals. You'll instantly appreciate a nice kick pedal.
    Ludwig Keystone in Pewter Glass 8X10, 9X12, 10X13,16X16, 18X22, 6.5X14 Classic Maple
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

8. Registered User

I returned to playing about 2 years ago since stopping in 1994. Started jamming with this guy, then we invited a bass player to join in. Now we’re talking about gigging. It’s fun. I have a really different approach to drumming as a guy in his mid 40s as opposed to my late teens. Patience is indeed a virtue.

9. More beer.

Where Hell froze over somewhere in Norway

When he gets drums, is he gonna change his username to "drums" then?

10. Registered User

Welcome to the world of drumming... I’m 60 and have been playing 52 years. It never gets old. One of the best things to do is try to find a local mentor who can help walk through the drums, from putting together a kit to getting a couple of lessons to start you off on the right foot (no pun intended). Sometimes that little one-on-one will pole-vault your experience and save a couple of headaches. I’m a huge Pearl fan. The hardware and mounting systems (ie Optimount) in my opinion are superior to all others in the industry.

So, did you buy a kit and where are you at in your drumming now?
    Last edited by AZ-Jack; 02-12-2019 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Spelling - additional comment

11. Looks That Kill

Welcome to the club, I got back into playing seriously at the age of 32. I am 52 now and still learning everyday. My first kit was also an export
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Bombay Sparkle
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

12. Registered User

Welcome "NO DRUMS" the people in this message board are very friendly and helpful. they will help you on your journey into drumming. i myself have been out of drumming for a long time but just recently got back into it. while i wish my first kit was a Pearl, sadly it was a Pacific (before they started carrying the DW name). my dad was my mentor and he had a Slingerland. i eventually upgraded to a Pearl Forum, then an Export and used that to record our demo back in 2006. after that i have upgraded to Vision and just repurchased it after 8 yrs of no drums. Pearls are a great set to start out on and a wise investment. i have played other brands such as TAMA and Yamaha but they dont compare to the quality Pearl offers. now they offer a lifetime warranty on their drums so they are proud of their product
    Pearl Vision Concord Fade fusion 10, 12, 14, toms 20 kick 14 snare. Zildjian A series cymbals

Pearl Decade Black Ice 10, 12, 16, toms 22 kick 14 snare Paiste PST-7 cymbals