Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

The fact that they intentionally held a band meeting without you is a HUGE problem. That alone would get me to quit immediately.

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by purist View Post
    The fact that they intentionally held a band meeting without you is a HUGE problem. That alone would get me to quit immediately.
    Which I'm sure was their plan from the outset.

Listen- there's three sides to every story: we don't know what the band's side of it is. Regardless, this sounds like an untenable situation.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. The Hardware Guy

Another lefty here on a "normal" right handed kit. I write with my left hand, can't play a right handed guitar (some would argue I can't play a left handed one either), but just like using cutlery correctly, I started on a right-handed set-up from day one. To be fair, it was always gonna be that way as I'm right footed, so it made natural sense to simply lead with my left hand on the left-side hi-hats. Took a little while to go almost ambidextrous (I say almost, as although I can lead with both my left and right hands, I am still predominantly left handed, and certain things, fills and whatnot, I still instinctively start with my left hand) - I started by learning to play the ride leading with my right hand (rather than cross over or have the ride on my left side, which I initially did) and then taught myself to cross my right arm over to play the hi hats in the "normal" way. After while I thought this is a bit a stupid so I figured if I can do it both ways, why not just have a left side and a right side? I already had hats on both sides, static stand and remote pedal, so I just put a second ride on the left side, and play the left side cymbals with my left hand and the right side with my right hand. Changing my set-up again, I pulled the left-side ride but stuck with the "left is left and right is right" method for leading and it's pretty natural to do both.

As for you being lefty holding the band back, I see where they're coming from. Not saying they're right, but I get that if you can't play a righty kit then you do pose a problem to open-mic nights, jam nights, multiple people using the same kit etc. It's a huge PITA to rearrange an entire kit for you to play it, then it need to be re-arranged again for someone else to play it. It'd be the same if I turned up and wanted to play guitar but there wasn't a lefty guitar there and I had to restring someone's Strat upside down before I could play it. BALL-ACHE. Without getting into the politics of your band, it wouldn't hurt to work on your right vs left playing style, not only so as to minimise issues like this, but it also never hurts to learn and improve yourself.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    ďAfter silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.Ē
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

4. Music Lover

I have been left handed for 62 years and drumming for 52 years. Rides and hats can be adjusted fairly easily. I am very right footed, so I play open handed. It is very unreasonable for them to ask you to play in any way that you are not comfortable with. Good luck. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

5. Registered User

Let me just start this right by saying, about the OP's situation: that's crap.

Purely technically speaking, I lean toward kind of a "handedness is something that is LEARNED" thing. I'm right-handed but I've done some "experiments" due to injuries and such. At least for me, I can play simple stuff on a lefty set. I can eat, brush my teeth or even write (completely legibly) with my weak hand. All of that is a bit awkward, sure, but I'm pretty sure that if I persisted and just kept doing that for years and years there wouldn't be a difference. I actually have my computer mouse on the left for various reasons and unless I need extreme precision and speed (...like playing Quake or something) it stays there. In that case, the natural instinct to move it over to the right has disappeared over time.

I personally know more than 10 drummers and other instrumentalists who are left-handed, but play 100% right-handed (not even any open-handed drummers). And they are VERY good at what they do.

From a "societal" perspective however, I do NOT approve pressuring people into doing things in a way they oppose. I wouldn't even consider switching to a mirrored set unless you were BOTH a child AND a beginner (based on your nick, you aren't). Otherwise it'd be pretty much wasting 100's or 1000's of hours of practice and muscle memory. As far as getting more gigs if you played righty... I have a REALLY hard time believing that would have any merit whatsoever. I've heard of sound engineers complaining about re-organising the mic's etc. but that's still just something that takes maybe 10 minutes extra time. Let them complain if that happens.

Hope everything turns out well.

6. Registered User

Band meeting behind your back, and insisting you play righty..... get out now, but be sure to let them know what A-Holes they are first.

7. Skeld-the -wicked

Quote Originally Posted by korch View Post
    Band meeting behind your back, and insisting you play righty..... get out now, but be sure to let them know what A-Holes they are first.
    Agreed ! Leave now! It’s obvious they don’t care about your feelings. After you move on put a pic of your former bandmates on your kick batter. Seriously don’t let anyone steal your fun LS . Good luck .
    Pearl Drums
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

8. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    Agreed ! Leave now! It’s obvious they don’t care about your feelings. After you move on put a pic of your former bandmates on your kick batter. Seriously don’t let anyone steal your fun LS . Good luck .
    I think you nailed it. When it’s no longer fun, it’s time to move on.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

9. Registered User

This is absolutely a ridiculous situation you found yourself in. I'm with everyone else on this.. Get out now and tell them to stick their heads so far up their *** on the way out. That is absolutely unfair to have a meeting not have you in it and then come up with some BS excuse. I wish you the best mate and that you find a band who will 100% respect and appreciate you as a musician regardless of whether your a right handed or lefty.

Phil
    Drum sets -
    Pearl Forum Series Red Sparkle - 22x18 kick,13x9 tom,16x16 floor tom

Electronics - Shure Mics, Presonus Audio, M-Audio Monitors

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Quit the band before it gets any worse.
    Yep.

1. It’d be a nice challenge. If you want to do it, go for it. I remember being criticized as a teenager for not knowing how to play double bass. I practiced for about 4-5 months. I got to a point being able to play Shy Boy by David Lee Roth, fast enough to say I can do it, gave the middle finger to those guys, and never played double bass again or with people that expected I use it.

2. I know a few lefties that started playing open-handed strictly to make it easier when playing someone else’s kit. This was all done when they first started out, usually guided by a teacher or because a right handed kit was all that was setup.

In fact, I know a lefty who was told to play guitar right handed by a teacher when he first started saying the selection of the guitars would be limited and expensive. He thanks his teacher now.

3. If your only options to get gigs is through open mic nights, your band has many more problems.

4. &@“) those guys.
    Last edited by dale w miller; 02-10-2019 at 02:42 AM.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I think you nailed it. When itís no longer fun, itís time to move on.
    That's a good rule of thumb. About the other members being... whatever, holding meetings behind your back, that reminded me of a similar, in some ways, situation years back. Miscommunication or lack of communication doesn't tend to do good. I was in a band and not "just" as a drummer, I was involved in arranging/writing sheet music for violin, horns etc. as the leader guy himself didn't know how. On a couple of "in development" gigs, I actually played keyboards during the drumless parts before the thing expanded to a 6-piece... after a whole TWO gigs with the full line-up it all just ended, very abruptly.
    The leader said he was "exhausted" -- but in basically no time he had already started a new project, with other people, booked several gigs and they were performing some of the same exact material!
    Anyway, the miscommunication. There was a bunch of stuff that I only found out about much later, but one in particular concerned... you guessed it, money. The idea was to pool it, and decide later how to use whatever profits we'd make (which we tacitly assumed would be around zero). I remember saying stuff like "would be cool to sell enough CD's to maybe cover the cost of my drumsticks". Apparently the leader saw that as me being "just about the money" (!). We never discussed it at the time (or later) but I really think we should have. So I guess it stopped being fun for HIM, so he basically booted me... and I didn't even know what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    In fact, I know a lefty who was told to play guitar right handed by a teacher when he first started saying the selection of the guitars would be limited and expensive. He thanks his teacher now.
    Random interesting fact: the guy who has the biggest guitar collection I know is a lefty. And it's even mostly "weird" stuff like expensive 6-string basses etc. Still true what you said, but I think especially for guitars the by far larger benefit is that you can just grab any guitar anywhere and play it. Lefty-lefty guitarists are incredibly rare, I know two personally, but even just off the top of my head I also personally know THREE lefties who play a right-handed guitar/bass.

Interesting indeed.

12. life start at 125bpm

the only factor you guys seems to not take into considerations,is that HE'S the founder of this band. he is supposed to own a veto on everthing regarding that band.....i'm guessing that this is a factor he wants to highlight the value of ,
    toward the other band members.......of course, he could convince some of them to clear the trouble maker,there's always ONE who instituate this kind of internal troubles.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes