Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    the only factor you guys seems to not take into considerations,is that HE'S the founder of this band. he is supposed to own a veto on everthing regarding that band.....i'm guessing that this is a factor he wants to highlight the value of ,
    toward the other band members.......of course, he could convince some of them to clear the trouble maker,there's always ONE who instituate this kind of internal troubles.
    From my experience, unless the band name has value and is owned by one person, no one has the power to veto anything other than the songwriter. Even if it’s someone who gets all of the gigs, usually the other players can get those connections as well after a period of time.

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    From my experience, unless the band name has value and is owned by one person, no one has the power to veto anything other than the songwriter. Even if it’s someone who gets all of the gigs, usually the other players can get those connections as well after a period of time.
    I agree with Dale. Unless there is a signed contract stating that the founding member has veto power, than he has none. I’m guessing that there is no such contract.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    From my experience, unless the band name has value and is owned by one person, no one has the power to veto anything other than the songwriter. Even if itís someone who gets all of the gigs, usually the other players can get those connections as well after a period of time.
    i should have pointed that my post was about the '''morality''' side of things here ,especially if we speak about a semi pro,amateur outfit ...

i perfectly know,as you probably know yourself,that its band is a semi pro,and that there's not enough money in it to have a notaried contract signed. still, the human side of things is something that is taken into consideration by normally brought up people.....this of course isn't a general rule of thumb...unfortunately.

i know that me,i would respect this speciific factor : the founders deserves respect as is. now,morality isn't something significant for the new generation,so yeah,maybe my post is out of context....so forget about it,it probably means nothing for most of you.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    So my band essentially had a meeting without me last night, and came to conclusion that one thing that could be holding us back from getting gigs is the fact that I'm left-handed (as the name would suggest), and that this takes away the possibility of open mic nights and shared gigs where bands might have to use the same kit. So basically the consensus was that I needed to learn how to play a right-handed kit the same way I can play it left-handed. I can play right handed, but I can't play to the same degree of technicality that I do left-handed. Now, I'm one of the two founding members of this group that's been playing together for 4 years now, and I kinda feel pissed that this was done somewhat behind my back, so I guess what I'm asking is, is this something that's fair to ask, or is this totally outrageous?
    It sounds like they are making an excuse to get rid of you.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    i should have pointed that my post was about the '''morality''' side of things here ,especially if we speak about a semi pro,amateur outfit ...

i perfectly know,as you probably know yourself,that its band is a semi pro,and that there's not enough money in it to have a notaried contract signed. still, the human side of things is something that is taken into consideration by normally brought up people.....this of course isn't a general rule of thumb...unfortunately.
    I for one completely agree with you on this, and I mean specifically what you said about the "morality", or 'human' side of things.

To simplify and put it (really) short: if a founding member leaves, I would say it's not the same band anymore. More so if the founding member is forced out! They can either agree to something, whatever, mutually - or the other guys can start a completely new band.

Something like this has actually happened to me once. The songwriter left the band, but said we can freely use the name and continue playing the songs if we wanted to. We did not. At least I felt that would've been VERY weird, like a tribute band except that the guy isn't dead or anything (just the opposite, we would constantly have run into each other).

In fact, I think the ONLY case where using the original name, and songs, with few to even no founding members is if the band is HUGE (sometimes the name alone is big enough) with very significant value outside the members personal lives.

i know that me,i would respect this speciific factor : the founders deserves respect as is. now,morality isn't something significant for the new generation,so yeah,maybe my post is out of context....so forget about it,it probably means nothing for most of you.
    Hard to say if this is a generational thing. This is way off-topic btw... but I noticed any "generational" differences at all, anywhere, only very recently and the one thing I could tie it with instantly was the "new internet". For some reason people only a few years younger than me seem different, whereas people a few years older are more or less the same. I'm not going to go into "different how?" to keep it short and to keep it friendly

6. Rim Shot Drummer

When I decided I wanted to play drums, I set what I had up with left foot bass and right hat. That was because of how I was using the space. At the time I could strike the drum or Roland Pad, not really play them. As I went to pick a route I would take to get me playing drums on a faster curve, I continued to play left. I am a right handed. This helped me over come challenges to my drumming. When it came time to be normal ( ha ) and play right handed, I took off. I sometimes keep a kit left handed to help me with my playing coordination and thinking process of making the strike and beat.
    Join Me ! I am a Pearl Customer

7. Rockin' the Cosmos..

tell em' to E A D and be done with these turds

8. th droids yerlookn4

wow, your band mates are bunch of [email protected]@@@ es
    im a lefty that learned to play right because my ignorant drum teacher told me there was no other way .
    i even STARTED playing open handed ,, and he discouraged me from playing" wrong"
    ,,,20 some odd years later i re trained my self to play open handed . but even playing like this, annoys some people because my rides on the left and my hats are extra low ...so nobody else can play my kit ..lol and im not even turning it all around .. the bonus is, it keeps idiots away from my kit ...lol. as for open mike night , tell the OTHER drummers to play your lefty kit ,or bring there own dang kit. i find it fairly and cheep that no one else is planning on bring THERE drums :lol

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    ,,,20 some odd years later i re trained my self to play open handed . but even playing like this, annoys some people because my rides on the left and my hats are extra low ...so nobody else can play my kit ..lol and im not even turning it all around .. the bonus is, it keeps idiots away from my kit ...lol.
    I also play open-handed. Most of the gigs I do are at churches where they have a right-handed kit in a drum shield. Thus, moving the ride cymbal to the left side of the kit is usually not an option. I've have to play a lot more washy hi-hats instead of using the ride cymbal these days. Sometimes, I play the ride cymbal (on the right side of the kit) cross-handed if it's a simple groove.

The biggest disappointment was when the right-handed players would complain when I moved the ride to the left side of the kit (and didn't put it back). Of course, they would never put it back on the left side after they were done playing either.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 02-13-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

10. Registered User

There's a lot to unpack in this subject.

On one front, as a drummer who plays openhanded, I definitely see the value. As for it being a critical issue of other people being more compatible with your kit I would think that you would know if that was a major issue or not? Only you can decide if it sounds like a legitimate reason to ask you to adjust your kit. If you know your own band you would know if this was a big deal or not?

As for a meeting about you that did not include you I will echo what many have said already and that it sounds like a very disrespectful and to be honest, underhanded approach. My gut tells me that if having a compatible kit for sit in drummers was a strong argument then they would not have needed to have a secret meeting.

I've been fortunate in that the bands I've worked with have, as I've gotten older, been very good about lines of demarcation such as who is the band director, how funds are used and expectations as well as how decisions are made. I suppose some of that comes from being burned in uncomfortable situations such as the one you are describing. I would be reluctant to get into a band situation that did not have a hierarchy developed and clear guidelines about how things work. I wish you nothing but luck in resolving this.

11. Drummer since 1963

If they placed any value on you as their drummer their ultimatum would have been a proposal instead along the lines of:
    "We're worried about losing gigs that have other drummers opening for us or losing open mic/jam nights because of the left handed set up situation with your drums. We want to buy a beater kit (1 up, 1 down) for you to use in those situations. That way we can swap it to a righty configuration quickly and without worrying about mucking up your kit."
    By doing that they would have been telling you it means something to them to have YOU playing drums and nothing gets in the way of that. Doing what they did all they're saying is they don't have the nads to flat out tell you they want you out.
    Beat your drums, not a dead horse.

12. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    the bonus is, it keeps idiots away from my kit ...lol. as for open mike night , tell the OTHER drummers to play your lefty kit ,or bring there own dang kit. i find it fairly and cheep that no one else is planning on bring THERE drums :lol
    A few dealers setup their demo kit left handed at NAMM to prevent all of these idiots who think it’s drum solo time every time they walk by a kit.