Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. bangin since '95

Default Struggles of being left handed

So my band essentially had a meeting without me last night, and came to conclusion that one thing that could be holding us back from getting gigs is the fact that I'm left-handed (as the name would suggest), and that this takes away the possibility of open mic nights and shared gigs where bands might have to use the same kit. So basically the consensus was that I needed to learn how to play a right-handed kit the same way I can play it left-handed. I can play right handed, but I can't play to the same degree of technicality that I do left-handed. Now, I'm one of the two founding members of this group that's been playing together for 4 years now, and I kinda feel pissed that this was done somewhat behind my back, so I guess what I'm asking is, is this something that's fair to ask, or is this totally outrageous?
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

2. Registered User

I'd say their attitude is reprehensible and shows a complete lack of respect for you as a drummer.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

3. life start at 125bpm

what!...can't you play lefty on a righty kit ? like simon philips does?

i'm probably missing on something here.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

4. a.k.a. YtseJam

I've been learning to play open handed for a while and I can't say it is that hard. Takes time of course but I don't think it's hard or impossible.

But as already mentioned, when bandmates identify this as a problem, means that they do not respect you, which is not good.

5. Registered User

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Quit the band before it gets any worse.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

6. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Quit the band before it gets any worse.
    This.

Completely stupid and disrespectful. I can tell you with almost total assuredness that their problem with you has nothing to do with what your dominant hand is. It’s something else but they’re too lame to just come out and tell you to your face. So they had a secret meeting and concocted this cockamamie story about open mic nights.

Take a walk and tell them to f****** BEAT IT.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

I'm a left-handed person but learned drums right-handed from the get go as little kid. I made the conscious effort to switch to open-handed playing in 1998/99. It took about a year to fully switch over. I kept a ride and x-hat on the right to fall back on.

One of the advantages I did this was I gigging with a nice kit and not bringing the stuff on right side. Ride on left side. Hi-hat at same height as snare and pull rod cut short so even if you wanted to raise the hi-hat to play cross over like a righty, you couldn't. No one ever asked to use my drumset, not that I would have said yes anyhow.

That being said, tell your band mates to restring their guitar and bass backwards and get back to you how that is working out. Then tell them to get a clue.

8. Registered User

You knew the answer before you even posted the question.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    totally outrageous?
    Curious, how many ACTUAL gig opportunities have you passed on because of this specific issue? My guess is "None". In which case... see JY's post.

9. Registered User

I am a lefty who rights as a lefty But I have never played any other way other Than a Right handed kit , I can play OPEN handed but it took practice , JY has it correct - Move On

I has a friend Who plays in a house band his regular drummer is a lefty who can switch it around for anybody in less than a min so That is not what IS holding your band back

Get your stuff and move on TODAY
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    This.

Completely stupid and disrespectful. I can tell you with almost total assuredness that their problem with you has nothing to do with what your dominant hand is. It’s something else but they’re too lame to just come out and tell you to your face. So they had a secret meeting and concocted this cockamamie story about open mic nights.

Take a walk and tell them to f****** BEAT IT.
    X3

11. Purple Crazed

Quote Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
    That being said, tell your band mates to restring their guitar and bass backwards and get back to you how that is working out. Then tell them to get a clue.
    Agreed and flipping an drumset around doesn't take very long.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 6x7 | 8x7 | 8x7 | 8x8 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 18x16 | 20x14G | 18x14 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    100% exactly right. I'm left handed as well and can relate to your struggles. We live in a right handed world my friend. Ask a right handed drummer to play a gig on a left handed kit and see what happens.

First, you should learn to play at least open. Not the end of the world and it will help your independence big time. I used to go to open mic nights and jam nights on a regular basis just to play live, so I played all of those on a right handed kit open style. Years ago I was in the band that played the Hollywood circuit several times a week and a lot of the gigs were with several bands on the bill so we had maybe 20-30 minutes max for a set including tear down for before and after the set. We learned real quick to get in and out. I scouted each location before we played and talked to the stage manager and sound guy to explain I was left handed. Most didn't have a problem with me swapping the floor tom, snare and hi hat as long as I didn't take too long and put everything back. I only had a problem once because the show was running late (lame band before us went over their time) and I had to play right handed. Not a big deal because I can also play open and right handed if I have to. Wasn't the best set, but I made it through okay.